Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 179 of 229 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I bet neither Keane or Townsend have ever seen McGeady play a full 90 minutes in the Russian Premier League.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    And we know that Keane has never seen McGeady for Ireland, ie if they didn't actually play together for ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    He has the potential to be our best player we know that, I hope he carries this drive into the Euros and shows everyone what he's capable of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I think McGeady is well up for it and well focussed for these finals. He loves showing off and show offs often turn on the style and shine on the big stage. i'm excited!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Trap comes to McGeady's defence: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...of-Bosnia.html

Yet perhaps maintaining the psychological mind games in an effort to protect his player, Trapattoni rounded on Keane and Townsend on Sunday with a staunch defence of McGeady.

“For me, the first thing is that maybe they don’t follow the Russian League,” Trapattoni said. “And secondly, I played the football. And I wish to ask them, did they always play well?

“From the moment that they were born, did they play beautifully in every game? They did so for their whole careers?

“McGeady is in a very good moment. He is improving his confidence and his personality. Two years ago, he was good, but he was young. Now he plays with maturity.”

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Does McGeady have an international future? He had one good half against Bosnia a month ago and he was redeemed but once again he (not alone I hasten to add ) has been to me at least a terrible disappointment. One good cross in the second half and that was it. Loses possession so easily, head goes down and drifts. He was to be the golden boy of his generation. Perhaps when we play our fellow minnows there may be room for him but over his career for Ireland (and I am not talking about these past couple of games) I don't think he has cut the mustard.

Hopefully McLean will continue the progress he is making and Coleman on the other side, the days of Messrs McGeady and Duffer appear to be numbered.

Or is this too harsh an assessment?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I think it's too harsh. Our current system relies completely on our two wingers to create chances, they are our sole outlet, the full backs offer nothing as an attacking threat and one centre mid is allowed a rare foray forward. It's all too easy for opponents to double and even treble mark the wingers which makes their task almost impossible. I saw a stat after the game the McGeady completed 23/25 passes, made five successful tackles and 3 interceptions. I don't know if he could have done much more considering he was absolutely starved of quality ball and at least double marked whenver it came near him. I find him frustrating at times too but I still think he's arguably our best player, the problem is all of our opponents also know this and our system makes it so easy to almost eliminate him from the game.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Does McGeady have an international future? He had one good half against Bosnia a month ago and he was redeemed but once again he (not alone I hasten to add ) has been to me at least a terrible disappointment. One good cross in the second half and that was it. Loses possession so easily, head goes down and drifts. He was to be the golden boy of his generation. Perhaps when we play our fellow minnows there may be room for him but over his career for Ireland (and I am not talking about these past couple of games) I don't think he has cut the mustard.

Hopefully McLean will continue the progress he is making and Coleman on the other side, the days of Messrs McGeady and Duffer appear to be numbered.

Or is this too harsh an assessment?
    Way too harsh. McGeady is an attacking player who is basically being played as a full back for us. When you watch him for Spartak, if he is given the chance to get 1 on 1 with a player, he is lethal, unfortunately with Ireland, he is almost never given that chance. Also, when McClean came on, he struggled just as much as Duff and McGeady did.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think it's too harsh, he's set up our only goal in the tournament so far. His delivery has improved a lot since joining Spartak. People say his crossing isnt good and he delays too much, but a lot of the time against Spain none of our players were in their box when he had the ball out wide, so he had to delay the cross to allow our players to get in position. I think it was him who hit the cross that had Ramos and Cassillas in a bit of a mix up. He wasnt great but very few were last night, I think he has a future, even if you were to say he shouldnt be in the team surely he merits a place in the squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Our wingers have been double marked during the whole tournament, because the opposition knows that they don't have to worry themselves about Whelan and Andrews.

On top of that, our wingers are asked to do defensive duties.

It's very difficult to judge how good they are.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McGeady was our best player last night. He made some uncharacteristic concentration errors in the first half, but then again the whole team did, and he put in a massive defensive shift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    The problem isn't with McGeady, it's that the team is so clearly set up with him as the main creative threat that it's easy for the opposition to identify this and deal with him effectively. For whatever reason, we still haven't found a way to deal with the fact that he is double marked every time he is in possession.
    For what it's worth, I'd still start him in the world cup qualifiers.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    McGeady was our best player last night. He made some uncharacteristic concentration errors in the first half, but then again the whole team did, and he put in a massive defensive shift.

Not sure what game you were watching mate. McGeady was f**king awful last night.

The man should be nowhere near the starting team. Disgrace.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    No doubt, McGeady put in a serious shift in the 2nd half.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time. If he even half fills his potential he'll make Liam Brady look like Kevin Kilbane!
    Such were the expectations for Aiden back in 2006, albeit from a biased source. Is McGeady10 still with us and I'd like his opinion now.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    mcgeady was very bad in the firts half and very good in the second. To expect more than a commited defense display and ball retention from him with the way we set up last night would be unrealistic imo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Not sure what game you were watching mate. McGeady was f**king awful last night.

The man should be nowhere near the starting team. Disgrace.
    Read on boards.ie that Mcgeady made more successful tackles than any other Irish player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    He's just an easy target to some cretins on here because he's not Maradona.

Tets and Carrigaline summed up perfectly the reason McGeady has been ineffective in this tournament.

20. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's still been our most effective player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    Realizing that we may be thinking that effective means something different, Andrews has been that player for me...

23. Thanks From: