Page 125 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Boruc's standards of excellence certainly dropped in the last year, GBP3m, with one year of contract left, is good enough.
    I look forward to seeing McGeady meet a new challenge, he needs it. Might suggest that the Spartak Moscow bid was high enough but wasn't McGeady's personal preference.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'd love to see McGeady at VILLA. Absolutely love it.

It might be hard to get into the team on a regular basis, unless O'Neill keeps Milner in the middle of the park instead of out wide. Ashley Young is a definite starter when fit.
    Last edited by Colbert Report; 13/07/2010 at 11:08 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think you mean at Villa

Good news for Ireland that he's moving albeit it seems in slightly acrimonious circumstances.

Boruc won't be much of a loss at this stage - his form over the past couple of years has been poor and your man Zaluska looks a better player at this point. Can't see Fiorentina being a good move for him - Frey will mop the floor with him.

4. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think Villa is the perfect fit for him. Good manager and good team that plays attacking football and has the bankroll to put decent players on the pitch next to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Yeah this is good news, he needs a change of scenery.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I think Villa is the perfect fit for him. Good manager and good team that plays attacking football and has the bankroll to put decent players on the pitch next to him.
    Err, not really. They were very defensive last season and sat back waiting to counter attack when they played anyone near the top four. They opened up a bit against worse opposition; I can see McGeady fitting into their system pretty well as it is or if they decide to change it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I'd say it's looking very likely he'll end up at villa. Petrov has come out saying it would be a great signing. If you go back a year, he came out around the same time going on about Dunne. Would be a great move in my opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Definitely a good move for him, finally might see what all the fuss is about. Because for sure we havent seen any reason to believe it based on his performances in the green.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I really hope this happens. He has a better chance of improving coming off the bench for Villa, than starting for Celtic. He's rotting up there at this stage.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    His performances in the 2 games against Arsenal convinced me of 2 things last season. number 1 he was definately good enough at that level, he was top class in both games. But also I think in those games he grew visably disillusioned with the players around him. He was a few classes above them and he really looked like he got p1ssed off, which I think in turn led to him not trying as hard and having a poor season. I think a change of scenery and a new challenge will bring out the best in him again....... I hope so anyway
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Flourish or flounder, I wouldn't have a strong inclination either way as to how he'd do but one thing's for sure, I'd be looking forward to not having to wonder about it anymore.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Flourish or flounder, I wouldn't have a strong inclination either way as to how he'd do but one thing's for sure, I'd be looking forward to not having to wonder about it anymore.
    I think that sums it up perfectly
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    its as if you want the boy to flounder mate with that comment, don't see why all you Irish guys are on his back all the time when he is clearly your best player....... just ask my brazillian mate in college who was raving about him after that game last year against Brazil and said he was the only player with any technique in your full team.

Me thinks yous have been watching too much of the hussle and bussle of the Premiership too much and your teams are Wolves and Stoke and **** like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho
    its as if you want the boy to flounder mate with that comment
    Then we have a misunderstanding because I'd be more than delighted to see Aiden fulfill his potential and succeed at a higher level. I think the guy has a fantastic talent and I'd greatly enjoy seeing him make the most of it. I'm not about to let goodwill and wishful thinking rule my opinion though, not least when it comes to the matter of how he would/will cope in the premier league, which represents a strict test of any player's mettle.

don't see why all you Irish guys are on his back all the time
    How did you arrive at this broad conclusion and what exactly constitutes 'on his back'? Criticism? A lack of reverence? No one is beyond an honest assessment. The fact is, he's been underwhelming in an Irish shirt and there are valid doubts/concerns about certain aspects of his game in general. There's neither sense nor credibility in mounting knee-jerk defences when a hint of criticism comes his way.

when he is clearly your best player
    I suspect we don't share the same criteria when defining 'best' but...nope, he's not. I'd identify him as Celtic's best player sure enough though.

Me thinks yous have been watching too much of the hussle and bussle of the Premiership too much and your teams are Wolves and Stoke and **** like that.
    Me thinks you make too many assumptions and draw some faulty conclusions!

Listen, I think we can both agree on one thing and hope that Aiden has a cracking season, wherever that may be.

If he should prove equally impressive for Ireland when given the chance, then all the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    its as if you want the boy to flounder mate with that comment, don't see why all you Irish guys are on his back all the time when he is clearly your best player....... just ask my brazillian mate in college who was raving about him after that game last year against Brazil and said he was the only player with any technique in your full team.

why does the fact that your mate is Brazilian need mentioning? Does that make his opinion more valid? It doesnt. And you as a football man should realise that. I think most people, Irish, Scots or Brazilian can see the technique and potential that Aiden has ahead of most of the players in our squad. Its just that for the most part he hasnt produced for us. And even still most people support him and wish him success in an Irish jersey. Stop basing your assumptions on the posts of a couple of posters on this forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Aidinho, the reason we "get on his back" at times is because we know he's got so much more to offer than we've seen.

We have high expectations for McGeady, and he hasn't been able to replicate the best of his Celtic form for Ireland -- that's simply a fact.

Our high expectations should be taken as a compliment. I don't think most Irish supporters think Aiden is no good. We just know he can be much better than he's shown us, and any true fan of the team wants to see his best.

Being technically gifted is only part of the equation -- you need the intelligence and the execution to be a top player. Aiden is only one step away from being a very very good player, if he can just get his consistency and final ball up to the standards of an elite player.

I for one hope he'll begin to show his best in this qualifying campaign.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Aidinho, the reason we "get on his back" at times is because we know he's got so much more to offer than we've seen.

We have high expectations for McGeady, and he hasn't been able to replicate the best of his Celtic form for Ireland -- that's simply a fact.

Our high expectations should be taken as a compliment. I don't think most Irish supporters think Aiden is no good. We just know he can be much better than he's shown us, and any true fan of the team wants to see his best.

Being technically gifted is only part of the equation -- you need the intelligence and the execution to be a top player. Aiden is only one step away from being a very very good player, if he can just get his consistency and final ball up to the standards of an elite player.

I for one hope he'll begin to show his best in this qualifying campaign.
    fair enough mate but did McGeady not take on the whole Georgian team on his self to win yous that game. so hes not been that bad for yous its just yous need to give him a license to roam which Trapp will not do as he insists on 2 holding midfielders and Lawrence because of his physique basically means 3 holding midfielders.

I know McGeadys limitations but if you are going to choose Lawrence ahead of him because the hes a bigger physical specimen than him I would say yous need to change manager, and that the guy stays in Italy is just nonsense.

Fabio MK2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Aidinho, he had a great game against Georgia, but one match does not a great player make. He's lacked consistency for us, end of story.

Liam Lawrence is not world class, but he's been effective in defending, as well as in attack. It would be a lie to say his physicality and size doesn't factor into his selection -- it does, and he's been very effective at using those attributes to bulk up a midfield that was horribly lightweight during the Stan era.

Everybody loves Samba football, but the reality is that against the best sides, we're going to have less of the ball, so having a certain number of players who can defend and impose themselves on the opposition is essential, given our situation.

He also adds other attributes, in that he has a knack for scoring goals, and looks impressive from free kicks. I think Andy Reid has that free kick ability, but given his absence from the squad, Liam brings that in his toolkit.

So let's weigh up the key things the two players bring (albeit in an overly simplified manner):

McGeady:
    - ability to beat players
    - good outlet when under pressure

Lawrence:
    - goal threat
    - free kick threat
    - physical/defensive attributes

In terms of level of player, I don't actually think they're that far apart in terms of their practical contribution today. McGeady has a far higher ceiling, if he can make supporters use their hands for cheering rather than to cradle their head after another botched cross or ill advised shot.

Ireland supporters don't give a damn what McGeady has or has not done for Celtic. We care about what players do for Ireland, and in his few appearances to date, Lawrence has made more of a meaningful contribution than McGeady has in his 32 matches.

McGeady is still young and there is time for him to become a real star for us, but Trap doesn't play players based on potential, he plays them on their ability to contribute on the day, and McGeady still needs to prove that for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Potential never beat anyone, and thats McGeady's problem. He suffers from wingers syndrome, aka poor end product, and as irishfan86 put it, Lawrence has produced as much in terms of output in a much more limited time.

A move away will hopefully do him the world of good, as he'd gone very stale at Celtic. I'd say by the end of the season we'll know if he has any international future.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Spartak apparently in for McGeady again (although I remember them denying interest before, so who knows?). Sky says Spartak are the only team with concrete interest in him:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...280739,00.html