Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 225 of 229 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,500 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    He certainly proved the manager wrong for dropping him/telling him he was no longer wanted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Beautiful defence splitting pass to give Sunderland the lead at Wembley.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    For all that I favour focusing on youth, Mcgeady is one of the very few potential match-winners available to us.

Should this sort of form really be ignored?

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    For all that I favour focusing on youth, Mcgeady is one of the very few potential match-winners available to us.

Agree. I wouldn't take him to Serbia just have him fresh for Luxembourg to play as a 10 and give us some chance at creativity. Unfortunately we dont have any player like him coming through from what I have seen with crowley been the closest.

7. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

No, we need him on one last campaign as a super sub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Kenny has to be looking at that and thinking about how he'd use him anyway. There are not too many players in contention for the squad with that kind of a pass in them.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It really was the one moment of quality they speak of that decided the match too, a fairly turgid affair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Agree. I wouldn't take him to Serbia just have him fresh for Luxembourg to play as a 10 and give us some chance at creativity. Unfortunately we dont have any player like him coming through from what I have seen with crowley been the closest.
    I'd like to have him as an option for Serbia but can see your thinking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Can't understand how he's been frozen out of the Ireland set up in recent times. One of the few players of his style we've ever had. He's a creator and a threat and creating and scoring goals is our weakest point. He should have been playing in the hole for Ireland, or on the side of a front 3, for the last 10 years. He was wasted, but let's give him a final 1 or 2 years in an effective formation.

Tons of caps as well. Experience badly needed in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Who gets dropped for him? Hourihane, Hendrick, Knight and Browne are just four off the top of the head starting at a higher level.

Let's face it, he's only an option in the middle of the field now, and doesn't have the legs to keep up with the style SK has adopted with Ireland.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Can't understand how he's been frozen out of the Ireland set up in recent times. One of the few players of his style we've ever had. He's a creator and a threat and creating and scoring goals is our weakest point. He should have been playing in the hole for Ireland, or on the side of a front 3, for the last 10 years. He was wasted, but let's give him a final 1 or 2 years in an effective formation.

Tons of caps as well. Experience badly needed in the squad.
    How much did he ever produce for Ireland given all the opportunities he had ? he is now playing at a much lower level. He has alway been a player that flatters to deceive == For us anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Who gets dropped for him? Hourihane, Hendrick, Knight and Browne are just four off the top of the head starting at a higher level.

Let's face it, he's only an option in the middle of the field now, and doesn't have the legs to keep up with the style SK has adopted with Ireland.
    It's more a question of who gets dropped from the squad and you don't need to worry about that, there's so many injured he can come in pretty seamlessly. The four you mention don't really need to worry, he plays a different position, a position where we're seriously blunt, and compounded by McGoldrick's retirement.

The style SK has adopted has yielded one goal in eight games, I wouldn't be too afraid of pushing the boat out on something slightly different.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

I think mcgeady would only play in games where you need to win like Luxembourg not in away games like Serbia or Portugal where you will have no e of the ball and need a three man midfield who are athletes or wide players who can work back all day which mcgeady certainly isn't st this stage. . We have plenty of artisans but no artists

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think mcgeady would only play in games where you need to win like Luxembourg not in away games like Serbia or Portugal where you will have no e of the ball and need a three man midfield who are athletes or wide players who can work back all day which mcgeady certainly isn't st this stage. . We have plenty of artisans but no artists
    I hear that but I also think of the McGeady whose composure on the sideline led to the equaliser in Gelsenkirchen and turning into space led to the winner in Lille. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of quality, which we generally and otherwise lack. Seriously, who'd actually be a better option if chasing a goal in Belgrade... Curtis... Collins... etc?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I hear that but I also think of the McGeady whose composure on the sideline led to the equaliser in Gelsenkirchen and turning into space led to the winner in Lille. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of quality, which we generally and otherwise lack. Seriously, who'd actually be a better option if chasing a goal in Belgrade... Curtis... Collins... etc?
    Absolutely. He was excellent in that Gelsenkirchen game and has it in his locker to take the ball forward at speed. Maybe he should've always been a no.10 instead of a winger. Cos his crossing was always a let-down
    Last edited by Fixer82; 14/03/2021 at 9:29 PM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    McGeady scored five goals for Ireland. One every 19 games. To see him now as some kind of potential saviour is rose-tinted glasses stuff, because he rarely was in the past. Who was it said a few posts up that he flattered to deceive for us? Lots of ability and flashes of guile but too little end product - finishing or crossing. Maybe he should have become a ten six or seven years ago and his career might have had a late flourish, but two bald facts stand out – he last played top flight football six seasons ago when he should have been in his absolute prime, and now he’s three weeks shy of his 35th birthday having spent his last three seasons in the third tier, where any player with his experience at international and Champions League level should look like a thoroughbred in a paddock of pit ponies. But it doesn’t follow that he’d look like a thoroughbred in more exalted company and I think he's well past being able to offer what we need.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 14/03/2021 at 9:16 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    How much did he ever produce for Ireland given all the opportunities he had ? he is now playing at a much lower level. He has alway been a player that flatters to deceive == For us anyway.
    I think he was unfortunate to play a lot of his career under the likes of Strachan, Trap and O'Neill. Fairly rigid 442 set ups. Put the tricky wee guy out wide. His was a thankless task most of the time. Receiving the ball static with his arse on the side line and expected to beat 2 or 3 men and create a chance. He wasn't Messi and its no wonder he's ended up with the flatter to deceive label. Under different management or perhaps if he was coming through ten years later I think his talents would have been better utilised in more fluid or imaginative set ups.

I think he should be a Wes type player for us for a couple of years and should have been so for the last few as well. League 1 or not. We've no one else.
    The dude abides....

25. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Edit to the above.

I didn't realise he was nearly 35. Thought 33. Ah well. That horse has long bolted anyway.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    McGeady scored five goals for Ireland. One every 19 games. To see him now as some kind of potential saviour is rose-tinted glasses stuff, because he rarely was in the past. Who was it said a few posts up that he flattered to deceive for us? Lots of ability and flashes of guile but too little end product - finishing or crossing. Maybe he should have become a ten six or seven years ago and his career might have had a late flourish, but two bald facts stand out – he last played top flight football six seasons ago when he should have been in his absolute prime, and now he’s three weeks shy of his 35th birthday having spent his last three seasons in the third tier, where any player with his experience at international and Champions League level should look like a thoroughbred in a paddock of pit ponies. But it doesn’t follow that he’d look like a thoroughbred in more exalted company and I think he's well past what being able to offer what we need.
    You make it sound like what we need is what we have.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    What we need is a bloody miracle!!!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

30. Thanks From: