Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I hope he has family that will accompany him. If not I'd be buying 'learn Russian in a week' and then heading to some nightclubs!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Looks like Celtic could really be pushing this one through because its the best offer on the table. From the few quotes we've read from McGeady this is obviously not a move he wants to make and could be disastrous for him if he doesnt settle. Wonder would he dig his heals in and stick with Celtic (he has a 1-2 years left on his contract) rather than go to Moscow? Gives Villa the opportunity to put in a reduced offer on deadline day I suppose.......
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    "However, the Moscow club are prepared to double McGeady's salary into the region of €45,000 per week, with the added bonus that the personal tax rate in Russia is only 13pc."

"Spartak's wealthy owner Leonid Fedun -- believed to be the world's 122nd richest man -- has tasked transfer broker Evegeny Smolentsev with completing the deal, with reports in Russia suggesting that the latter faces the sack unless he gets his man."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    "As far as I know he was travelling today to speak to Moscow and have a look at the club and the surroundings and take things from there," Lennon said.
    "This has dragged on a bit longer than what we wanted. I would like to think that we would get a definitive idea after this."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    How can a move to Moscow be any worse than staying in the stagnant SPL. I assume Spartak will be competing in the Champions League this year? They have money behind them so playing in a competative team every week can only help him develop as a player. Sure, it may be a bit of a culture shock at first but the chance to play in on of the world's great capital cities doesn't come too often. Accepted, Villa would probably be a better move for him if he plays regularly but staying in Glasgow and competing with Rangers for a two-horse league and the Scottish Cup. With Neil Lennon in charge!!!! ffs that would be madness given McGeady's promise and the urgent need for him to develop his talent.

As for Sheridan, he shouldn't even think twice about this move if he's any ambition at all. Another loan move to St. Johnston or a spell in League 1 in England as opposed to a major European club in CSKA. The Bulgarian League is decent enough and he might just get a league winners medal out of it. Plus, Bulgarian women are super hot!

I know both are quite young but I wish Irish players were a bit more open minded about where they play their football.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 03/08/2010 at 4:45 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    How can a move to Moscow be any worse than staying in the stagnant SPL.
    It could be, if the player doesnt actually want to be there? It will be interesting to hear the next quotes from Aiden after his visit to Moscow, I just dont get the impression he wants to go, despite the money on offer.

Moscow I would say would be one of, if not the most difficult city to adapt to, culturally, language, climate, its so far apart from what he knows. That isnt to say, I wouldnt like him to give it a go, I just dont get the impression he'd be all that comfortable with it. I suppose we should know within the next 24-48 hrs. He obviously wont feature in the CL qualifier tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Junior; 03/08/2010 at 7:58 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I would have said Moscow and Glasgow have a fair bit in common!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fu1ham View Post
    I would have said Moscow and Glasgow have a fair bit in common!
    Was just about to say that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Where is this coming from; (if to be believed) Spartaks obsession with acquiring him?
    I can see two years ago but I dont understand why it is coming on now?
    If the reason is that they think he had a down year and is going to come back on strong then I hope they are right, It just seems so...whats the word? Random.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Where is this coming from; (if to be believed) Spartaks obsession with acquiring him?
    I can see two years ago but I dont understand why it is coming on now?
    If the reason is that they think he had a down year and is going to come back on strong then I hope they are right, It just seems so...whats the word? Random.
    I think in this Internet era, scouts and teams are more aware of players than ever before. McGeady is highly rated all over the world -- the likes of Messi have been quoted as saying they know about him and admire his play.

If you go to a more basic level, I believe McGeady is the highest rated Irish player (or one of them) in the FIFA 2010 game. I know that sounds like a bit of a joke, but my point is that FIFA ratings generally dictate the reputation of a player, and McGeady is well known throughout Europe. Not as well known as the elite players, but I think if he ever plays in a World Cup, he could get the same sort of international reputation Robbie Keane or Damien Duff have (most football fans around the world know these two).
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    If anyone wants to pay £10 mill for him at this stage, they must have a few quid they're looking to, er, offload.

Doubtless Celtic/NL won't spend it especially wisely but there's always the chance of 2 or 3-in-a-row once 'The Cardigan' exits stage right.....

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    McGeady is the highest rated LWM in FIFA 2010! That's got to count for something!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    This "saga" frustrates me greatly. First of all, the soundbytes Lennon comes out with can be disregarded as that tosser messed Leicester around himsel. But for Aiden, I dunno, he's an offer from a club with a pretty good history, regularily in European competition, fighting for domestic honours, in a league of a higher standard and a better calibre of player than in Scotland. Plus they're going to double his wages to some 50k a week (approx). To me it's a no-brainer, especially when there is no firm offer in from Villa, a place I don't think he'll be guarenteed a game.

I think I read an article when he was breaking through, that similar to John O'Shea his parents were strict in that his education wouldn't suffer should a professional career develop, and that he's quite an intelligent fella, so learning a second language shouldn't be that hard. I'm presuming it's either ignorance or stupidity that people are saying that moving there would be a culture shock - it doesn't seem to be a problem for the brazilians, portuguese, argentinians etc (non-eastern europeans) that play in the Russian League and prosper. I dare say the 50K pw would make life quite comfortable in Moscow. Go for it Aiden, you're going stagnant at Celtic.

Off-topic, I'd love to see Sheridan make the jump to Levski too,
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    First off I am no McGeady correspondent but if anybody could learn Russian and adapt to the culture I think Aiden could do it, his Mum and Dad made sure he stayed at school to earn grades and he pretty much got an A+ for every grade so he is more than capable of learning Russian. He's a very intelligent boy.

I went to the same school as Aiden in St Ninians in Giffnock. although he was a few years behind me but the whole talk of the town was this boy, then he played for us (Celtic) at 17 or something and he took Milan apart himself.

I saw him in the flesh a few times when he was younger and it was about the time when the real Ronaldo started doing stepovers to get past people and thats what he did on the playground basically.

The boy is pure class. Just hope MON comes back for him just to show the doubters, ma da couldnae believe me when I said I used to compete with McGeady to play for our High School team and that I was even up there to be picked along side him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Seriously, get a grip. The stick Aiden gets amongst our own supporters (Celtic) either at Celtic Park or on the message boards makes the few gripes or generally disappointed type posts in this thread pale in to insignificance.

Aiden is an undoubtedly talented player (I would say 85%-90% of posters would agree with that on here) However in his 30 odd caps to date, hardly any of those performances stand out for me. Some of them were ok, some of them quite decent and many of them quickly forgettable.

I agree with you that the "no end product" line is to easy to trot out and that he does in fact create a hell of a lot of chances (not sure of his stats for Ireland) but he does waste alot also. His shooting is dyabolical and needs to drastically improve. McGeady should be scoring 10-12 goals a season in the SPL (hes been scoring an average of 5 or 6 including the odd pen).

I am a McGeady fan, he can have great vision but for whatever reason that only comes out on occasion. Partly due to the fact that for the last few seasons or so he has been Celtics talisman, the guy the other 10 players look to in order to create something, that type of pressure can make you change your game and not necessarily for the better.

Not sure if you actually watch Ireland games but we play 4-4-2, have done for as long as I can remember (apart from the odd away game). McGeady is not actually that fast, nothing that a Robbie or Duffer couldnt keep up with anyway. If you think McGeady is breaking away at electric pace with the rest of the team struggling to get up and support him you are deluding yourself.

The guy should be a great player for Ireland, it saddens me to say it but I think he should move this transfer window and try at a higher level (though there doesnt seem to be a massive amount of interest in him) he has gone stale at Celtic. He has now been given ample opportunity to settle in to the international squad, its time he started delivering a few MOTM peformances, assists and may be even the odd goal or two.
    It saddens me the way you think. if you dont think Ireland will progress with Duff and co. Don't start slagging McGeady because he is the most technically gifted and skillfull player you have and he can play with either foot from what I have seen.

Im no Irish but as a Celtic fan I do follow yous like most in the crowd but it seems to me that Trap will not use 2 wingers and that is the Italian mentality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Spartak Moscow fans have dubbed Aiden McGeady as ‘McGreedski’ , and threaten revolt over the vast sums being offered to the winger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ash-offer.html
    Last edited by The Fly; 05/08/2010 at 3:44 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Why would Russian people use an English punn??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Hmm, it wouldn't be like that rag to have a sly dig at McGeady at all. No agenda there whatsoever.