Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 124 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It would be a strange move alright, although I wasn't aware Garry O'Connor went from the SPL to Lokomotiv Moscow, so there is a bit of a precedent there, if you could call it that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    In saying that, the reason is returned to the UK was allegedly due to him struggling to settle into the Russian lifestyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Does anyone think there is any chance he would want to go play in Russia?
    I reckon he'd balk at the prospect. The only temptation would be money. It'l take an offer from England, Spain and the like to tempt him out of his comfort zone.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    I reckon he'd balk at the prospect. The only temptation would be money. It'l take an offer from England, Spain and the like to tempt him out of his comfort zone.
    Comfort Zone, Celtic, McGeady will be words that Aiden will be remembered for if he does not open new horizons for himself. I suppose it depends on if a good opportunity is offered. Russia would be a brave step but I for one would like Aiden to challenge himself somewhere bar Celtic. Does Aiden himself think he is good enough to accept such a challenge.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Aiden is the Irish/Scottish Theo Walcott. He is quick, no denying his skill level, but his end product on numerous occasions is just way off the mark.
    I can think of many charging runs McGeady did for us up the field but very little end product. The cross for Doyles goal against Georgia away is one, he also had a good game at home to Georgia but other than that very little. In the few games Lawrence played for us, he offered more, was stronger defensively and an all round better performer imo. Have heard Celtic fans rave about McG for a long time and I've yet to see the reason why (in an Ireland shirt, couldnt care less what he does in a celtic shirt).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Aiden is the Irish/Scottish Theo Walcott. He is quick, no denying his skill level, but his end product on numerous occasions is just way off the mark.
    I can think of many charging runs McGeady did for us up the field but very little end product. The cross for Doyles goal against Georgia away is one, he also had a good game at home to Georgia but other than that very little. In the few games Lawrence played for us, he offered more, was stronger defensively and an all round better performer imo. Have heard Celtic fans rave about McG for a long time and I've yet to see the reason why (in an Ireland shirt, couldnt care less what he does in a celtic shirt).
    Good call on Walcott.

McGeady is utterly frustrating because of what he could be. That's my gripe with him. He's got phenomenal talent but if he had a more consistent end product he'd be up there with the best. It's one of those 'so close and yet so far' scenarios.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    Aye thats when he tore them apart the whole game but we just kept missing sitter after sitter, also they just sold Vladimir Bystrov to Zenit so this one is a definite goer but would McGeady leave to stay in Moscow? I doubt it but it and if he does go Lenny better get a Di Canio like figure in to replace him or there will be uproar.

Big Eck wants him down at Brum but from what im hearing McGeady would never play in the same team as Barry Ferguson in his lifetime, so that only leaves Sevilla and Valencia who are seriously interested and I think that would be the best move for him IF he does go which I seriously hope he doesn't.
    excuse my ignorance, but what is the story between him and Ferguson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Has nowhere near the pace of Theo Walcott and is probably less effective.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He played well against Arsenal in Champs League. I think that was the best I've seen him play but I must admit I don't watch the SPL. I think in a competitive match we'd be better off with Duff & Lawrence out wide. At this stage I'd probably go for Hunt over him and possibly even McCarthy (I've seen him perform well in a left midfield role for Wigan and I like his style). Anyway I've always been frustrated with McGready for not moving from the SPL after he had that season where he won best player and best young player; he had achieved it all in that league, it was time to move on and I think his development has stalled since.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    It seems to get forgotten or perhaps ignored that it is not solely down to McGeady that he still plys his trade in the SPL.

1) Celtic have an asset, little argument that he is probably our main asset and have never shown a willingness to sell, knocking back an offer from Birmingham only last summer/January. McGeady is under contract (must be 3 years or so left I would say, so he signed it around the time he was starting to play well).

2) Have there been any concrete offers for McGeadys services over the last 3 or 4 years? I cant think of anything other than Birminghams offer and pages and pages of red top speculation / gossiping. Perhaps all these teams in the EPL or La Liga also have the same concerns that many posters on here have and are not willing to table a serious offer?

This summer seems the most likely of all summers that he will actually leave (along with Boruc I expect) but I wouldnt say its a certainty. Neil Lennon may also have an input assuming he has a good relationship with McGeady.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Neil Lennon confirmed as Celtic boss:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2213242.html

Stated on SSN that he wants Robbie to stay/return but concedes "it's up to him". He'll no doubt want to keep hold of McGeady too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It looks like Spartak made the offer of the wrong type of millions.
    £10m would surely have a better chance of Lennon and the Board feeling more positive about the proposed transfer.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lennon has stated he wants mcgeady to stay and it would take a crazy amount of money for him to leave. its now up to him; if he really wants to leave, put in a request, or lounge in the spl

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    An article from a couple of months ago.

I just did a google after I was reminded that Lennon and McGeady had a bit of a slanging match on the pitch 3 or 4 years ago after Celtic conceded a late goal.

The article covers that incident and how it is definitely long buried in the past. Additionally he reaffirms his wish to play outside of the SPL at some point in his career but whilst he is under contract, he is a Celtic player unless the club get an offer they want to accept.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/spor...mly.6201823.jp

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

15. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'd love to see him leave. The SPL is poor quality and he'll never contend for any European honours with Celtic. They money just isn't there, sorry SPL fans.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Surprise, surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    McGeady conscripts Keane's agent to get Premier League move: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-League.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    McGeady conscripts Keane's agent to get Premier League move: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-League.html
    Is he looking for one move or ten?
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Aiden McGeady close to Celtic departure after sitting out US tour / GUARDIAN

Aiden McGeady's departure from Celtic has edged closer, with the Republic of Ireland player not part of the squad which departed for a pre-season tour of the United States today.

Celtic claim McGeady has a thigh injury but are aware of interest from Aston Villa in the winger's services.

McGeady is keen to test his ability on a higher stage than the SPL and would be agreeable to being reunited with Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager who handed the then teenager his Celtic debut in 2004.

Birmingham City made a bid for McGeady in January but are now understood to have cooled their interest.

Emile Heskey has been suggested as a potential makeweight in any Villa move for McGeady but Celtic are likely to demand a cash payment – possibly as much as £8m – for the 24-year-old.

Neil Lennon, Celtic's newly appointed manager, would benefit from such funds as he oversees a squad overhaul.

McGeady, Stephen McManus, Georgios Samaras and Artur Boruc are the players whose departures are set to raise money for Lennon.

Fiorentina tonight announced they had agreed terms on a €2m (£1.6m) move for Boruc, subject to a medical for the Polish goalkeeper.

Celtic confirmed the arrival of Joe Ledley on a four-year contract from Cardiff City earlier today but Lennon is virtually resigned to missing out on a loan move for Jimmy Bullard.

The manager is close, however, to completing a deal for the Mexico international midfielder Efraín Juárez.

Looking ever more likely that Aiden will be plying his trade elsewhere this season. The only player that Celtic have that will bring in serious cash and whilst Lennon doesnt want to lose him, I think the cash he needs to fund further signings plus Aidens own desire to try the Premiership (or elsewhere but less likely) means he will be off. Amazing to think that getting rid of Boruc/McManus/Samaras will probably net Celtic around £5m - Probably 2-3 seasons ago Boruc was getting linked with the likes of Arsenal and AC Milan for £10m+ (I appreciate his contract nearer the end now but still some drop off).

22. Thanks From: