Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Kennedy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Is he someone who plays fullback, as well as further up the park (like Phil Neville), or is he someone who plays further up if given a choice, but can do a job at left full (like Kevin Kilbane)??

Did he ever play left full for Bohs?
    Never played left full for Bohs, has been converted to left full by McCarthy having started as a striker / left winger at Wolves. Has done well this season albeit with a couple of spells on the bench given it's his first season in that position.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    This is the Mark Kennedy thread. Posts about up and coming (and worth watching) Irish full-backs should go elsewhere.
    I must confess to finding the anal attitude towrds topics remaining strictly about the subject a bit frustrating here, do any of you ever have pub conversations that wander a bit before returning to the original subject.

I think that, in a debate on whether Mark Kennedy is worth a shot at left back, mentioning alternatives is very relevant and the context would be made unintelligable if the posts were moved to a different thread myself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    it was against Yugoslavia - beautiful goal. Was at that game that night and the atmosphere was incredible (even for an Irish game...!). Was buzzin for days afterwards. Keano got the first i think...

Kennedy was great for us for about a year around then. Really thought he would kick on and be an important player for us for years.
    Apart from that goal I thought he had a very poor game, the shock was that he had the some confidence left to hit that shot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Apart from that goal I thought he had a very poor game, the shock was that he had the some confidence left to hit that shot.

I'd agree with this - I have it on tape somewhere and will always remember Dunphy and Joe Kinnear (remember those days) sitting in Lansdowne saying that Kennedy shouldn't even have been on the pitch at that stage and should have been substituted at half-time he was playing so badly.

Over the years I've seen several journalists talking about Kenedy's great performance against Yugolsavia when in reality he contributed very little apart from a stunning goal
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Anyone remember the dublin night out incident with Babb... that was the end of him!
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Mick had some fierce amount of belief in him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    could be right... my short term memory aint what it used to be...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Nah, he fouled a guy too with Jack Charlton in his commentary shouting "foul him".

Fergal, I dunno, if the talk is about one LB candidate and the retort is that another is better, isn't that just a natural flow in conversation?

One thing that always impressed me about Kennedy is is ability to send in great crosses with minimal backlift from his left foot. He's the kind of player that if you're well on top of game would often deliver the telling blow, but equally you'd never depend on him to get you on top of a game.

I think Kennedy could have done with good advice, maybe from the FAI or maybe within Liverpool, when he went to Liverpool. I think he typifies a wasted half-generation, the Irish for whom it became too easy to earn too much money and who lost perspective.

To his credit, he could have masqueraded his way to Japan but was honest enough to admit he wasn't fit. Respect for that, and respect to Mick for earning Kennedy's respect if you know what I mean. He also played well in Brussels after the humiliation of getting subbed after 30 minutes in the first leg.

God, I'll never forget driving home from whacking a few balls at a golf range in Hendon listening to R5 Live's report on Quinn's testimonial at Sunderland: Kennedy injury, Roy Keane no-show and just thinking that the utopia of our forthcoming Japanese visit might just not be as perfect as it might be.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/04/2009 at 10:17 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    This is the Mark Kennedy thread. Posts about up and coming (and worth watching) Irish full-backs should go elsewhere.
    Posts about up and coming full-backs are related to this topic tbf since he is in direct competition with them for a playe in the squad.
    Anyway I think we have 3 or 4 better options than him at LB and should only be considered if we have an injury crisis in that position.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Still doing a consistently decent job with one of the top championship teams at left back, do we have a LB playing regularly at a higher level than him at the moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Still doing a consistently decent job with one of the top championship teams at left back, do we have a LB playing regularly at a higher level than him at the moment?
    Ward at Wolves, but he's just coming back from injury.

Kennedy is 33 years old, and would be 35 by the next time a major tournament comes around, which means I wouldn't be considering him at this point.

Now if he's the best left-full available (which may sadly be the case), then give him a look in a friendly and start with him for the first half of the Euro qualifiers...if a better option emerges, so be it.

Honestly though I doubt Trap will drop Kilbane unless a significantly better left-full emerges that has upside for the future. Kennedy is only going to get worse at this stage and may not be an upgrade on Kilbane as is.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Mark Kennedy? Wasn't good enough first time around.

I wonder are there English football forums calling for the inclusion of Nick Barmby because he's still playing in the Premier League.

Not much point in shipping a has been in Kilbane out to bring in a never was in the shape of Mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    Anyone remember the dublin night out incident with Babb... that was the end of him!

anyone remember Babb's overhead bicycle kick in a friendly in Lansdowne (Czech Republic?) from a good bit out?

hit the crossbar if I recall.

would've topped Kennedy's wonder-strike. And you're right, Kennedy was having a nightmare in that game before he cut in off the wing and somehow had the confidence to fire that rocket! Cracking goal!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    If Nick Barmby played in their weakest position (goalkeeper) you can be sure as hell they would be considering it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Reading some great things about the lad on both a Cardiff and Leicester forum after the playoff game the other night. Apparently went over to console the opposition player who missed the penalty and sent them out after he himself scored his to put Cardiff into the Final. Apparently a cool head coming to the finish and Man of the Match in some peoples book, would love to see him back in the premiership. Said it before but he really is the best left back option we have still, maybe if him and Kilbane swap divisions Trap will start to take note?

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index...1ac519ab10cb88
    http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/in...howtopic=65926

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'd agree but hasn't Kennedy said that he's not fussed about Ireland, it's all behind him now? A bit like Alan Lee (who isn't good enough).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Good god, Mark Kennedy - shouldn't he be about 102 at this stage? Ok, the internet says 33 but it feels like he has been around forever, never quite fulfilling the potential he showed all those moons ago for Millwall.

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I said the same thing during the playoff on Wednesday - it seems like he should have retired years ago. According to wikipedia, he was 15 when he made his Milwall debut.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Don't think Kennedy ever said he wasn't fussed about a call up. I remember during Stan's reign he said he was unhappy and disappointed that Stan never sent a scout to monitor his progress or even inquired to crystal palace about him so he clearly wanted a call up.

I suppose the reality is this. If he winds up playing a key role for a team that gets promoted to the premiership in a position where we're criminally lacking in quality and numbers then in my view he simply cannot be overlooked.
    He's 33. big deal, the best fullback in the world at the moment Javier Zanetti is 36.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Don't think Kennedy ever said he wasn't fussed about a call up. I remember during Stan's reign he said he was unhappy and disappointed that Stan never sent a scout to monitor his progress or even inquired to crystal palace about him so he clearly wanted a call up.

I suppose the reality is this. If he winds up playing a key role for a team that gets promoted to the premiership in a position where we're criminally lacking in quality and numbers then in my view he simply cannot be overlooked.
    He's 33. big deal, the best fullback in the world at the moment Javier Zanetti is 36.
    I know you're a big younger Murfinator but some of us who lived through Kennedy's meteoric rise from Millwall to Liverpool in the 90s have some bad memories that we mightn't want revived. He was probably one of the most talented players we have ever produced and I remember seeing him playing an U-21 game at Dalymount where he was simply outstanding. Unfortunately the move to spice-boy era Liverpool (as the most expensive teenager in the Premiership) seemed to affect his attitude very badly. He promised so much but consistently failed to deliver. He's older now and hopefully a bit wiser (it was good to see him commiserating with the Leicester players the other night) but I think Ireland need to look to the future. If we were to look backwards then I think Carr would actually be an even better option at right or left back but I'm not advocating that either.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast