Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 20 reasons why I prefer rugby to football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

20 reasons why I prefer rugby to football

by David Kelly (this mornings Indo).

Having avoided organised sports for a year due to chronic obesity, I now realise rugby was a far more inclusive team game than soccer and I want to play again. Instead of being isolated for hours on the wing with nobody passing the ball to you, at least rugby allows gangs of players to jump on top of you. You really feel like you belong.

Everyone knows what FAI head honcho John Delaney looks like, nobody knows what his IRFU counterpart looks like. In fact, not many know who his counterpart is. A much better thing.

Hundreds of Munster fans can play (dis)organised rugby in Cardiff's Mary St, crashing into walls and parked cars, in front of bemused bobbies and it's all good-natured fun. A few loons from Bohs and Rovers meet and there's carnage.

Spending 10 seconds chatting to Malcolm O'Kelly about Beck is more fulfilling than hours spent talking to Kenny Cunningham about, er, I can't really remember. Except hearing "To be honest with you, pal" 4,562 times.

Drinking, eating and bringing young children is more acceptable at rugby matches in these isles. Soccer matches are either naked warfare (Premiership) or else privately embarrassing, cult experiences (Eircom League).

Dealing with rugby agents is not always an experience redolent of dealing with personal injury lawyers. Sure, they're usually in it for the money but they're predominantly engaging, principled gents. Shaking hands with a soccer agent requires you to to make a quick tally of your digits.

Nobody in Irish international rugby has a commercial interest in any of its current players. Full stop.

Irish rugby coach Eddie O'Sullivan says quirky things like "ducks in-a-row", "in the hopper" and "full bag of chips". Brian O'Driscoll says things like "B of the bang". Soccer's Steve Staunton says "whatever" a lot while his striker Robbie Keane says "obviously" all the time.

RTE rugby commentator Michael Corcoran makes you want to leap off your chair and scream. So does Gabriel Egan.

Nobody knows if, how or why there will be relegation or promotion in the eircom League. Not a problem for the AIB League, where solicitors, spin doctors and alickadoos ensure the concept of relegation and promotion is upheld, no matter how much money it costs or how long it takes.

Irish international rugby has a wonderful system predicated upon keeping most of their best players under the protective eyes of management and club appearances are controlled. In soccer, Irish managers are told to keep their noses out by club managers when deigning to ask permission to access players. Even when they do eventually get here, the players end up going on the jar before the match anyway.

International friendlies in rugby? Doesn't happen friend. International soccer friendlies? Managers, fans and players all hate 'em.

Brian and Glenda (pre-split) versus Robbie and Claudette? Different class. Beats Posh and Becks too.

Rugby possesses enough gravitas to acknowledge that, like the odd belt in GAA, an idle punch need not assault the senses of either participants or spectators. Soccer's sickening ambiguity after Ben Thatcher's assault reveals an incurable cancer.

Sky have Stuart Barnes and Will Greenwood. Sky have Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp. Take your pick.

At Lansdowne Road, the inestimably refined PA man at rugby matches adds a touch of class, never intrudes on the action and reminds one of innocent amateur days of yore. At soccer matches, the PA man is like a Hawaiian T-Shirt-wearing motormouth DJ at a 21st birthday in Break for the Border armed only with the Best of the Furey's and Black Lace's Greatest Hits. "Let's parteee!"

Munster, who, unlike the pre-Celtic Tiger dating hype surrounding the Irish soccer 'army', have the best fans in the world, defeated the formidable All Blacks at Thomond Park in 1978. No Irish soccer team has ever beaten New Zealand.

Rugby players aren't recidivist cheats and don't swear at the referee. Soccer players dive, feign injury, abuse the men in black and try to get opponents sent off.

Rugby is an all-island sport. Soccer remains tainted by partition, sectarianism and division.

Rugby's Heineken Cup and Six Nations schedule produces consistent, overseas treats from romantic Paris to eternal Rome, sprawling Australia to giddy Argentina, vibrant San Sebastian to comely Edinburgh.

Soccer brings you lots of nice places too. Kazakhstan. Blackburn. Japan. Turkey. Yeugh!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Nobody knows if, how or why there will be relegation or promotion in the eircom League. Not a problem for the AIB League, where solicitors, spin doctors and alickadoos ensure the concept of relegation and promotion is upheld, no matter how much money it costs or how long it takes.
    Did he not see that All-Ireland league fielded illegal players last year but still got promoted but just with a 5,000 euor fine.

International friendlies in rugby? Doesn't happen friend. International soccer friendlies? Managers, fans and players all hate 'em.
    Almost all irish rugby internationals are friendlies bar the 6 nations & the world cup.

Brian and Glenda (pre-split) versus Robbie and Claudette? Different class. Beats Posh and Becks too.

Sky have Stuart Barnes and Will Greenwood. Sky have Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp. Take your pick.
    He is stretching for points now.

Rugby players aren't recidivist cheats and don't swear at the referee. Soccer players dive, feign injury, abuse the men in black and try to get opponents sent off.
    Eye gouging!

Rugby is an all-island sport. Soccer remains tainted by partition, sectarianism and division.
    Setanta Cup. Anthem in Belfast?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Did he not see that All-Ireland league fielded illegal players last year but still got promoted but just with a 5,000 euor fine.
    I think thats his point....

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Almost all irish rugby internationals are friendlies bar the 6 nations & the world cup.:
    Think he was making fun of the word 'friendly' and means that even though they are classified as friendlies,they are anything but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    They're not 'classified as friendlies'; they're classified as test matches. Much the same as in cricket.

The rest of the list, whether you're pro or anti rugby is a load of tosh, really. Like something a 12 year old would write.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    The rest of the list, whether you're pro or anti rugby is a load of tosh, really. Like something a 12 year old would write.
    I found it quaintly amusing myself....don't be so touchy

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Hundreds of Munster fans can play (dis)organised rugby in Cardiff's Mary St, crashing into walls and parked cars, in front of bemused bobbies and it's all good-natured fun. A few loons from Bohs and Rovers meet and there's carnage.

Drinking, eating and bringing young children is more acceptable at rugby matches in these isles. Soccer matches are either naked warfare (Premiership) or else privately embarrassing, cult experiences (Eircom League).

Soccer brings you lots of nice places too. Kazakhstan. Blackburn. Japan. Turkey. Yeugh!
    Oh dear... Let's tar one sport with one extreme brush and another with the other extreme brush.

I'd love to draw Kazakhstan and travel there.

My Top 20 Reasons For Writing This Article
    1. It's an hour before my deadline
    2. I've nothing written
    3. It's an hour before my deadline
    4. I can't think of anything to write
    5. It's an hour before my deadline
    6. I've nothing written
    7. It's an hour before my deadline
    8. I can't think of anything to write
    9. It's an hour before my deadline
    10. I've nothing written
    11. It's an hour before my deadline
    12. I can't think of anything to write
    13. It's an hour before my deadline
    14. I've nothing written
    15. It's an hour before my deadline
    16. I can't think of anything to write
    17. It's an hour before my deadline
    18. I've nothing written
    19. It's an hour before my deadline
    20. I can't think of anything to write

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kelly

20 reasons why I prefer rugby to football
    He only really needed one:

1. I currently get paid to write about rugby

Strange article.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Never take a man who is so ugly that they didnt have the technical
    expertise to touch up his photograph to make him better looking
    than quasimodo seriously.
    Surley he should be ringing a bell or something. Bad quasi.
    His argument should be discounted on the grounds of ugliness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I know the article is a load of toss but why is Japan lumped in with those and considered "Yeugh!"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Its the Indo what do you expect? That fish and chip holder is a glorified tabloid paper without the red top

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Oh dear... Let's tar one sport with one extreme brush and another with the other extreme brush.

I'd love to draw Kazakhstan and travel there.

My Top 20 Reasons For Writing This Article
    1. It's an hour before my deadline
    2. I've nothing written
    3. It's an hour before my deadline
    4. I can't think of anything to write
    5. It's an hour before my deadline
    6. I've nothing written
    7. It's an hour before my deadline
    8. I can't think of anything to write
    9. It's an hour before my deadline
    10. I've nothing written
    11. It's an hour before my deadline
    12. I can't think of anything to write
    13. It's an hour before my deadline
    14. I've nothing written
    15. It's an hour before my deadline
    16. I can't think of anything to write
    17. It's an hour before my deadline
    18. I've nothing written
    19. It's an hour before my deadline
    20. I can't think of anything to write
    Spot on. Humphries does te same thing when he has **** all to say or cant think of more to write about Dublin hurling , drugs etc etc blah blah.

Kelly is a complete **** of the highest order. He suggested that we drop out of the league a few years back "to give Rovers some breathing space" and then come back in later. Shows what he knows

Then again as the last post says its the indo...........

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    RTE rugby commentator Michael Corcoran makes you want to leap off your chair and scream.
    If he means scream "shut the **** up, you annoying biased Munster ****" then I'd agree.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    . He suggested that we drop out of the league a few years back "to give Rovers some breathing space" and then come back in later. Shows what he knows
    If he meant drop out of the Premier Division then it's starting to look like that was excellent advice for Shamrocks! I always felt the financial/ground situation would have been sorted out years earlier if it wasn't for irresponsible people wasting money on players who were only just good enough to keep plodding along in the Premier.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    A reply to David Kelly.

Dear Mr. Kelly,
    1 reason I dislike you.
    1. You are a w@nker.

Yours sincerely,
    Osarusan.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    If he meant drop out of the Premier Division then it's starting to look like that was excellent advice for Shamrocks! I always felt the financial/ground situation would have been sorted out years earlier if it wasn't for irresponsible people wasting money on players who were only just good enough to keep plodding along in the Premier.
    Dont know who Shamrocks are but if you are referring to Rovers he meant drop out of the whole league which is ridiculous.

Dont disagree with your last sentence but it has the potential for a happy ending. For the first time ever the club is run properly.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most things tend to be correct, but not everything is bad in soccer...
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get."
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rugby men are generally fitter to look at