Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Limerick FC 3 - 2 Athlone Town

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Limerick FC 3 - 2 Athlone Town

Athlone Town wrapped up their First Division Cup campign tonight in Jackman Park, but are still searching for their first competitive win of the season after losing 3-2 to their fellow Shannonsiders.

Town opened the scoring with a goal from new skipper, Stephen Kelly in the 25th minute. Kelly has come in for some criticism from fans recently, but this was his second goal in the competition for Athlone. Athlone maintained that one goal lead until the five minutes before the break, when Limerick's recent signing Stephen O'Flynn equalised for Limerick.

Limerick then took the lead with twenty minutes remaining with Brendan Hughes scoring his second goal in as many games. Athlone did not lie down however and equalised eight minutes later with Kelly getting his brace.

While it looked like Athlone might come away with a point, disaster struck when O'Flynn got a brace of his own and all three points in the final minute to give Limerick a chance of qualifying for the final of the competition. They currently sit atop of the Southern Section table, but Kildare can still overtake them if they beat Waterford United on Saturday evening.

So after not qualifying for the final of the First Division Cup, Athlone have a free weekend next weekend. The real action then starts on Thursday August 22nd, when Town travel down to take on Waterford United in the RSC.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atjlone Performance in Limerick

atfconline, were you at the match? How were the Athlone performances?

This was posted by a Limerick fan on the Eircom league message board :
    " Awwwwwwwwwwww not a great team performance but we got there. Steven did it again twice and Brendan what a goal a Matt LeTissea (Sorry spelling ) special. Athlone were ........bad in fact this is the worst athlone team in a long time and ive seen some bad ones. so we`re top and all we need now is Kildare to drop a point or two on Sat Vs Waterford and no, i know i said that this is a micky mouse cup and space filler and it is but..........€15,000!! thats why im excited cos we`ll be safe for the season with that money. coem on Limerick!!"

Were we really that bad, or is this over critical from the Limerick fan?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I am soooo . . . sorry Limerick fan coz we are gonna eat Waterford alive on Saturday night, and collect that booty of €15,000.

Kildare County have this southern section of the cup wrapped up - Philly Gorman is gonna get ye! that is of course if Dykesy dosen't first!!

COME ON THE THOROUGHBREDS!!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I wasn't at it, but at least we scored two more goals, albeit from midfield. I saw the Limerick fella's post on the other MB too but I don't know how serious to take it. Normally they rate their own players and even if they are crap they still get 7/10!

If anybody has the Town line up, I'd appreciate it if ye could post it up here.
    Last edited by atfconline; 09/08/2002 at 11:02 PM.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887