Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Axe,

According to the laws, a direct free kick (or penalty if the offence occurred inside the box) is awarded if a player deliberately handles the ball. So, the key word here is deliberate. In order for it to be a free kick, the player had to intend to connect his hand with the ball. But the incident you described sounds like "ball to hand" to me. As the defender was just in the way of a 'million mile an hour' shot, there should be no penalty/free kick.

The 'denying a goal-scoring chance' bit can only come into play if the defender deliberately moved his hand to stop the ball going into the net. If he did that, it would be a pen & a red card.

Does that answer your q?

Cheers,
    GiB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by girlinblack View Post
    Hi Axe,

According to the laws, a direct free kick (or penalty if the offence occurred inside the box) is awarded if a player deliberately handles the ball. So, the key word here is deliberate. In order for it to be a free kick, the player had to intend to connect his hand with the ball. But the incident you described sounds like "ball to hand" to me. As the defender was just in the way of a 'million mile an hour' shot, there should be no penalty/free kick.

The 'denying a goal-scoring chance' bit can only come into play if the defender deliberately moved his hand to stop the ball going into the net. If he did that, it would be a pen & a red card.

Does that answer your q?

Cheers,
    GiB
    Normally I'd put my hand behind my back just avoid any confusion but it happened so fast I didn't even get the chance. Wish I could react as quick as he thought I had.

I wouldn't do it deliberately there was ten mins to and it was 0-0?
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 11/08/2009 at 3:51 PM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Offside Rule

Ref,
    Just a query that came up over the weekend,
    1)Just say team A and team B are playing,
    From a goalkick striker for A is up field just past B defence,say closest to the B keeper..is he offside.?
    2)If same scene happens,but,ball is kicked from team A's keepers hands..is striker A offside..?
    3)Team B goalkeeper is taking goalkick,striker A is facing him with the B defence,but is say,one yard ahead of defence,closer to B keeper,is he offside if he recieves ball..?
    Thanks.
    Football is more than just a game,it's life..!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Not if B Goalkeeper kicks it to him.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Re - question no 1,you cannot be offside from a goal kick if you receive it directly from the goalie so I think answer no1 above is wrong.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 07/09/2009 at 6:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffer33 View Post
    Ref,
    Just a query that came up over the weekend,
    1)Just say team A and team B are playing,
    From a goalkick striker for A is up field just past B defence,say closest to the B keeper..is he offside.?
    2)If same scene happens,but,ball is kicked from team A's keepers hands..is striker A offside..?
    3)Team B goalkeeper is taking goalkick,striker A is facing him with the B defence,but is say,one yard ahead of defence,closer to B keeper,is he offside if he recieves ball..?
    Thanks.
    1) As 12th man said, attacker cannot be offside if he receives the ball directly from his own kick out.

2) If Attcker A is in his opponents half of the field, and there is only 1 opposing player between himself and his opponents goal (i.e. Team B goalkeeper), he is offside if he receives the ball directly from his goalkeeper.

If a teammate, who is not offside, receives the ball, the attacker is not offside. Being in an offside position is not an offence, being in active play and gaining an advantage from being in that position is an offence.

3) No - You cannot be offside if the opposition last played the ball.
    Smile........ it confuses people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's great,thanks for the info...
    Football is more than just a game,it's life..!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Not if B Goalkeeper kicks it to him.
    No offence to you Centre mid, but your answer is typical of players and club people in General........They don't know the Laws of the Game!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

PLayer signatures

Does a player need to actually sign a form in order to be eligible to play or can it be signed for on his behalf with consent - its just that I know a player who will be playing with a particular club and there may be a question of his eligibility -
    Anyone know
    CDSL Cup Champions 2008 / 2009 / 2011 / 2013 / 2014 - CDSL League Champions 2010/11 - - - - - - 2011 /12

members - TBC

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    its 1) no, you cannot be offside from your own kick off but
    2) yes, you can be if the keeper kicks it out of his hands
    3) no. its like a defender passin you the ball.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hi ref. What is the ruling if a goalkeeper handles the ball outside his area and prevents the opposing centre forward from getting the ball

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prionsias9 View Post
    hi ref. What is the ruling if a goalkeeper handles the ball outside his area and prevents the opposing centre forward from getting the ball
    Straight red card.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prionsias9 View Post
    OK... if it's not deliberate handball there is no offence, so the referee must deem it to be deliberate handball to award a freekick....also not every handball is worthy of a yellow card, surrounding circumstances must be taken into effect i.e. was the handball deliberately done to prevent the opponent gaining an advantage, if so then you would yellow card.....So If the goalkeeper is deemed to have deliberately handled the ball and denied his opponent gaining an advantage - Yellow Card.....if he has denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity - Red Card...... If it wasn't deliberate - no offence!!!
    Hope this helps!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hi Ref.
    If a player receives treatment on the pitch,must he leave the pitch before he can resume playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I would be positive thats a FIFA/UEFA Guideline, passed down to all the Senior Professional Leagues to be used but when it comes down to the Amateur game then these guidelines may or may not be used in certain competitions ie normal league match probably not in FAI Junior Cup probably is... could be wrong but

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Question Referee9 or The Ref if your still around.....What would you Give?

Situation a ball is crossed over and goes over the head of defender and an attacker a few yards behind comes running on to it and volleys the ball towards goal but in direction of defenders face ,who has now turned to face player, the defender then brings his hands up to protect his face and it connects with the ball.

is it a deliberate Handball and penalty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfeetBigsocks View Post

Situation a ball is crossed over and goes over the head of defender and an attacker a few yards behind comes running on to it and volleys the ball towards goal but in direction of defenders face ,who has now turned to face player, the defender then brings his hands up to protect his face and it connects with the ball.

For a free kick or penalty to be awarded, the handball must be deliberate. The fact that the player moves his hand to protect his face would seem to me a deliberate action albeit to protect himself. Therefore in the example above I would give a free kick (or penalty if it occurred in the defenders penalty area)

The Ref
    Smile........ it confuses people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfeetBigsocks View Post

As The Ref states, it must be deemed to be deliberate handball. This one will split many refs however. For me you need to look at several things, the distance of the defender from the ball when it is struck, the pace of the ball, are the arms in an "unnatural position" i.e. is the defender trying to make himself bigger in an effort to block the ball. From what you described, I'm reading as this... the defender is only a few yards away and the ball is volleyed by the attacker so naturally the defender protects his face with his arms/hands. His arms aren't outstretched to the sides or above his head to make himself bigger and he is too close to avoid being hit. For me .......................play on, no offence. But I'd like to have seen it to be 100%. Far to many refs give free kicks and penalty kicks for handball incidents when it's obvious that there was no deliberate intent to handle the ball. Hope this helps rather than confuse!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Referee09 View Post
    As The Ref states, it must be deemed to be deliberate handball. This one will split many refs however. For me you need to look at several things, the distance of the defender from the ball when it is struck, the pace of the ball, are the arms in an "unnatural position" i.e. is the defender trying to make himself bigger in an effort to block the ball. From what you described, I'm reading as this... the defender is only a few yards away and the ball is volleyed by the attacker so naturally the defender protects his face with his arms/hands. His arms aren't outstretched to the sides or above his head to make himself bigger and he is too close to avoid being hit. For me .......................play on, no offence. But I'd like to have seen it to be 100%. Far to many refs give free kicks and penalty kicks for handball incidents when it's obvious that there was no deliberate intent to handle the ball. Hope this helps rather than confuse!!
    You have got to be kidding!!!! A player who brings his hand(s) to a ball is guilty of an offence. He is using his hand to control the ball, be it to prevent it from hitting him, going past him, preventing a goal etc.. Whats the confusion???? Either he brings his hand(s) in the direction of the ball or he didn't. HAND TO BALL NOT BALL TO HAND.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,” Dr. Who

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subprime View Post
    You have got to be kidding!!!! A player who brings his hand(s) to a ball is guilty of an offence. He is using his hand to control the ball, be it to prevent it from hitting him, going past him, preventing a goal etc.. Whats the confusion???? Either he brings his hand(s) in the direction of the ball or he didn't. HAND TO BALL NOT BALL TO HAND.
    I told you this one would split decisions. Some will give it some won't. Your view is very "black and white" Subprime. Now as I said I'd like to see this incident but from the original post by BigFeetBigSocks, nowwhere does he say the player brought his hand to the ball. If a player brings his hands up to protect himself from a ball struck from close range, he is NOT controlling the ball with his arms. He is protecting his face with a natural reaction. But as I said if his hands/arms are outstretched in an unnatural position away or above his body, making himself bigger to block the ball then it would be an offence. Really we would need to see it to be 100 percent sure! But from Bigfeets original post, for me it's play-on...............

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast