Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Like I said above, per the LAWS of the game, the only offence committed by the keeper is to handle a back pass. The referee awards an Indirect free kick, no caution and no sending off!! I am aware of the game recently involving the Sunderland keeper and the referee awarded an indirect free kick and a issued a caution.... The indirect free kick was correct, the caution was incorrect. It is NOT a sending off offence.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by football fan View Post
    Like I said above, per the LAWS of the game, the only offence committed by the keeper is to handle a back pass. The referee awards an Indirect free kick, no caution and no sending off!! I am aware of the game recently involving the Sunderland keeper and the referee awarded an indirect free kick and a issued a caution.... The indirect free kick was correct, the caution was incorrect. It is NOT a sending off offence.
    That is debateable, by handling the ball the keeper is deliberately denying the goal illegaly, as the saying going reffs differ.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is NO debate..... The keeper is entitled to handle the ball inside the penalty area. In Law 12, the 7 sending off offences are listed including the one about denying a goal scoring opportunity by a deliberate hand ball BUT the law then adds except the goal keeper.... As I said the keeper can handle the ball inside his penalty area except when he receives the ball from a back pass or a throw in from a team mate. The sanction is an indirect free kick ONLY.... The ONLY offence the keeper commits is to handle a back pass. If referees differ, its because their knowledge of the Laws of the Game needs to improve and not because such a situation is open to opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Sorry lads if this came up already....too lazy to flick back! I hear of a new offside rule involving the re-definition of interfering with play.....but no sign of it on Fifa website or no notice of it? Am I dreaming??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is NO debate..... The keeper is entitled to handle the ball inside the penalty area. In Law 12, the 7 sending off offences are listed including the one about denying a goal scoring opportunity by a deliberate hand ball BUT the law then adds except the goal keeper.... As I said the keeper can handle the ball inside his penalty area except when he receives the ball from a back pass or a throw in from a team mate. The sanction is an indirect free kick ONLY.... The ONLY offence the keeper commits is to handle a back pass. If referees differ, its because their knowledge of the Laws of the Game needs to improve and not because such a situation is open to opinion.
    Here is my opinion.

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct sets out the seven offences that should a player, substitute or substituted player commit, that player should be sent off:

• serious foul play
    • violent conduct
    • spitting at an opponent or any other person
    • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
    • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • receiving a second caution in the same match

The correct section is the fifth offence (not the forth offence as used above).

The interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees (Page 130 of the 2013/14 Laws of the Game Lawbook) states "the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick"

As the offence denies a goalscoring opportunity and is punishable by an indirect free kick, the correct decision is to dismiss the goalkeeper.
    Smile........ it confuses people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse24 View Post
    Sorry lads if this came up already....too lazy to flick back! I hear of a new offside rule involving the re-definition of interfering with play.....but no sign of it on Fifa website or no notice of it? Am I dreaming??
    The last two points are new to The interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referee (page 108)

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
    • “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition
    • “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate

• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
    • “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
    i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
    ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Here is my opinion.

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct sets out the seven offences that should a player, substitute or substituted player commit, that player should be sent off:

• serious foul play
    • violent conduct
    • spitting at an opponent or any other person
    • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
    • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
    • receiving a second caution in the same match

The correct section is the fifth offence (not the forth offence as used above).

The interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees (Page 130 of the 2013/14 Laws of the Game Lawbook) states "the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick"

As the offence denies a goalscoring opportunity and is punishable by an indirect free kick, the correct decision is to dismiss the goalkeeper.

And there is the problem for players, managers and spectators in this country, referees that clearly do not understand the LOTG. Nice to see you have you law book handy but like I said you have misunderstood the law. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick refers to a defender or keeper fouling an opponent and denying the opponent a goal scoring opportunity. Again, I make the point. The keeper is guilty of handling a back pass only. Indirect free kick only. Ask your observer, get confirmation from the referees department in the FAI but learn the LOTG because you clearly have misunderstood the law. If you are still confused pm me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etoo View Post
    just wondering what would happen if i played the ball back to the keeper(back pass), who missed it and the ball was heading straight in the goal. the keeper then saves the ball with his hands stopping a certain goal.....should the keeper be sent off and a penalty be given as he should be treated as an outfield player once a back pass has been played?? or is it just an indirect free kick (which would be harsh)?
    And there is the problem for players, managers and spectators in this country, referees that clearly do not understand the LOTG. Nice to see you have you law book handy but like I said you have misunderstood the law. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick refers to a defender or keeper fouling an opponent and denying the opponent a goal scoring opportunity. Again, I make the point. The keeper is guilty of handling a back pass only. Indirect free kick only. Ask your observer, get confirmation from the referees department in the FAI but learn the LOTG because you clearly have misunderstood the law. If you are still confused pm me.
    Ok, hold my hands up time - I misread the original question!

Firstly I thought that there was a forward going to score - there is no mention of a forward, so I' was wrong (lesson always read the question).

In the question as outlined above, only an indirect free kick is awarded as the goal keeper did not deny an opponent an opportunity to score. Apologies for the confusion.

Football Fan is indeed correct

The Ref

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    The last two points are new to The interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referee (page 108)

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
    • “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition
    • “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate

• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
    • “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
    i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
    ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage
    Put this in simple terms, if a player fires a shot comes back off say the crossbar or post to a player who in a offside position when the shot went in as Van Persie against W. Ham last year, under the new guidelines is he off side or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    not sure if post above is a question or not... I haven't played for a few years but my sons play now and if I remember correctly the picture painted above was always an offside scenario.... anyone remember it any differently? unless it was before the keeper could pick it up numerous times when it was played back to him by foot from one of his own players etc
    Last edited by lawman; 27/07/2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: clarification
    Gold is for winners......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Its something that is happening in a lot of premiership matches lately, Team A has a corner or a free kick, a player from Team B pulls a member of Team A down in the penalty area before the corner or free-kick is taken, penalty or not. I heard that its no penalty as the corner or free-kick has not been taken.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If the ball is not in play you can't give a penalty,if on the other hand the ball is in the air that's a different matter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    This incident happened in the Iranian league, a player rounds the keeper and is through on goal, his shot is saved on the line by a subitute player who was warming up behind the goal. The referee showed a straight red card I expect, u could not really see and gave a indirect free kick on the 6 yard box, should it not have been a penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Round Tower View Post
    This incident happened in the Iranian league, a player rounds the keeper and is through on goal, his shot is saved on the line by a subitute player who was warming up behind the goal. The referee showed a straight red card I expect, u could not really see and gave a indirect free kick on the 6 yard box, should it not have been a penalty.
    No it should not have been a penalty. The referee is correct to show a straight red card and award an indirect free kick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Hi ref, just wondering there if an attacking player gives an over the top ball but a defender heads it back to his keeper, is the referee right to give offside if an attckin player intercept s and scores? Take in mimd the defender intentionaly hit it to his keeper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    My understanding from reading your question is that the defender intentionally played the ball. If that is the case, then the attacking player is not offside under the new rule

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Ya thats exactly it but a few times so far this year refs have seen it a different, in my eyes and others players and managers it should not be off side

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    In a recent game Harte of Man. City was taking a free kick or a goal kick, he double hit the ball without another player touching the ball, it went too a opposing player who scored, the referee disallowed the goal, rightly so and allowed Harte too retake the kick or should it have been indirect free-kick too the opposition
    A team has a kick out, the ball does not goo outside the box, if one of there own players touch it the goal kick is retaken, but if a member of the opposition intercepts the ball inside the box, what happens.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    ^^I'd be pretty sure the result would be the same (re take) as the ball is not deemed active til it leaves the box,I'm sure a Ref can confirm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You are correct, 12th Man. It is a retake. From a restart of play, the ball must leave the penalty area before another player can touch it

21. Thanks From:

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast