Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    Just to clear up the sending off rule
    If a player is sent off in a cup match and his team wins he serves his match in the next round of the cup.
    If his team loses and he was sent off in the cup game then he serves it in his next match, have I this fifa rule right?
    i think the player is automatically suspended for his next match league or cup
    whichever is first
    Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Goalkeeper collects ball on ground at full stretch, takes a slight knock in the process and drops ball. Referee waves play on, goalkeeper picks up ball and clears.

Has the goalkeeper fouled the ball? Indirect free kick in surely!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh No View Post
    Goalkeeper collects ball on ground at full stretch, takes a slight knock in the process and drops ball. Referee waves play on, goalkeeper picks up ball and clears.

Has the goalkeeper fouled the ball? Indirect free kick in surely!!
    Sorry for the delay, am away for a while and only have internet access sporadically.

Firstly the goalkeeper (or any other player) cannot foul the ball, a free kick (direct or indirect) is awarded for a player committing an offence, just a small technical point.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and the ball has not touched an other player.

From the way you explain it, it doesn’t appear that the goalkeeper was in possession of the ball i.e. he was in full control of the ball, which is probably why the referee did not award an indirect free kick (I presume this is what happened).

If had the ball fully under his control, under the strict enforcement of the laws it should be an indirect free kick, however if the goalkeeper is injured, albeit slightly most referees I know would normally stop play to allow him to receive attention and restart with a drop ball.
    Smile........ it confuses people

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That peno shoot-out question

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone is listening any more, but i had read thru this thread & seeing as it caused a fiery debate before, i thought i would post a little update...

There was a question about the order in which kickers return for penos if the first 11 have already taken one. FIFA have published 07-08 laws & this issue is specifically addressed:
    Once all eligible players have taken a kick from the penalty mark, the same sequence does not have to be followed as in the first round of kicks.
    See page 130: Procedures to determine the winner of a match or home-and-away tie: Kicks from the Penalty Mark, Point 3. The new laws can be downloaded here: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html
    Note the Questions and Answers have been replaced with a section within the LOTG file: Additional Instructions to Referees, Assistants & Fourth Officials

Hope this helps!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Free kick to my team in our penalty area. I proceed as a goalkeeper a short free kick to my defender who carries the ball forward outside the box. The ref called play back and said the ball has to leave the penalty area. I thought this was just for goal kicks. Am i wrong?
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan1 View Post
    Free kick to my team in our penalty area. I proceed as a goalkeeper a short free kick to my defender who carries the ball forward outside the box. The ref called play back and said the ball has to leave the penalty area. I thought this was just for goal kicks. Am i wrong?
    The Referee was correct as Law 13 Free kicks states:

"the ball is in play when it is kicked directly beyond the penalty area"

as the ball did not leave the penalty area, the free kick must be retaken, as it was not in play.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the special 1 View Post
    any advice on this one 2-1 down get a free kick outside the box in the 90th min..ref tells captain you have to make this one count so captain calls the keeper forward.just as free kick about to be taken ref blows full time..says the keeper took too long(all of bout 10 seconds)
    Allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee (Law 7) refers. In my opinion the referee would have wiser keeping his own counsel with regards to "making this count".

A referee may blow for full time at any stage after the 90th minute, even if the ball is going in to the goal (Clive Thomas did this in 1978 in a World Cup match Brazil vs Sweden).

However a top referee once gave me a piece of valuable advice when I was starting out refereeing when he said “never blow for full time when a corner is being taken, a team is on the attack or has a free kick in a promising position. Wait for the ball to be cleared or the attack to break down before blowing for full time, if the team score let players kick off and then blow for full time”, a piece of advice I still follow today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee (Law 7) refers. In my opinion the referee would have wiser keeping his own counsel with regards to "making this count".

A referee may blow for full time at any stage after the 90th minute, even if the ball is going in to the goal (Clive Thomas did this in 1978 in a World Cup match Brazil vs Sweden).

However a top referee once gave me a piece of valuable advice when I was starting out refereeing when he said “never blow for full time when a corner is being taken, a team is on the attack or has a free kick in a promising position. Wait for the ball to be cleared or the attack to break down before blowing for full time, if the team score let players kick off and then blow for full time”, a piece of advice I still follow today.

I'm Asumming it wasn't Clive Thomas who gave you that advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    just want to clear something up.when taking an indirect freekick does the ball have to move a circumference or can it just be stood on,be moved .in the rules it just states that it has to be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daz22 View Post
    just want to clear something up.when taking an indirect freekick does the ball have to move a circumference or can it just be stood on,be moved .in the rules it just states that it has to be played.
    The requirement for the ball to move its full cucumference was removed some years ago (it was the same for direct an indirect free kicks). Law 13 now states "the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves" therefore the ball must be kicked (in my opinion standing on the ball is not a kicking action) and the ball must move (simple rules of Physics would seem to say once the ball is kicked the ball it must move!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    thanks for that.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the special 1 View Post
    any advice on this one 2-1 down get a free kick outside the box in the 90th min..ref tells captain you have to make this one count so captain calls the keeper forward.just as free kick about to be taken ref blows full time..says the keeper took too long(all of bout 10 seconds)
    I read (the refs) reply to this one and of course he is right,but that does'nt
    mean that the referee,on this occasion did not behave like an idiot.If every referee refereed to the letter of the laws we would have chaos in every single game. No wonder players/Managers get frustrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool thanks ref

Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Thanks for the support Old Keeper.

Everybody should remember that a referee acts as judge, jury and in the case of red cards Executioner. Of course we get it wrong on occasion and as Old Keeper said the results can be catastrophic. Another thing, if I'm having a bad game, I know it, 22 others on the pitch telling me doesn’t help.

When you have a bad game, there’s no worse feeling in the world, even one error (that changes the course of the game) can sully your mood. In saying that there is no better feeling in the world when you perform well.

I personally don't do it for the money, and contrary to popular belief most referees don't either. The match fee, which seems at first glance quite generous, is no reward for the stick that you put up with week in, week out. When players and managers appreciate you it makes it all worthwhile.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to post their questions to the site and as I said in my introduction I will answer them as best I can. If I don’t explain something and you want clarification, just ask, I will endeavour to give you what your looking for, it is only through dialogue that we can all understand one another’s point of view.

Just for the record, this has not been given the support of the FAI or the Referees Society (I have not sought it, nor do I intend to seek it).

The life of a referee isn’t easy, but maybe this will give us all a better understanding (and a bit of fun along the way)

Talk Soon

The Ref
    I personally don't do it for the money, and contrary to popular belief most referees don't either. The match fee, which seems at first glance quite generous, is no reward for the stick that you put up with week in, week out. When players and managers appreciate you it makes it all worthwhile.

just to back you up,i have played football since i was about 7/8 stoped playing at 34 and went into management for 6 years and was vary succesful this will be my 2nd year as a ref.i work for myself so on a saturday i could earn 140/150 euro,but go and ref a match for 40/45 euro! who's in it for the money?? none of us we love the game and without us there would'nt be a game.
    Another thing, if I'm having a bad game, I know it, 22 others on the pitch telling me doesn’t help.
    great line ,keep up the good work and happy x/mas
    Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

throw ins

During our game in the Roscommon league on Sunday our right back was pulled up for this about 3/4 times:
    It was our throw and straight after he threw it the ref blew and gave the throw to the other team because it was taken from the wrong place. After the 1st time we mainly checked wit the ref where all other throws were from but now and again our RF would forget. again he got pulled up for it the same way. But my question is surely its the refs job to bring him back to the right place for the throw rather than let him take it and then turn it over to the other team. Got so annoying losing possession in such a way, wouldnt mind the ref was 20 mins late for kick off!!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    During our game in the Roscommon league on Sunday our right back was pulled up for this about 3/4 times:
    It was our throw and straight after he threw it the ref blew and gave the throw to the other team because it was taken from the wrong place. After the 1st time we mainly checked wit the ref where all other throws were from but now and again our RF would forget. again he got pulled up for it the same way. But my question is surely its the refs job to bring him back to the right place for the throw rather than let him take it and then turn it over to the other team. Got so annoying losing possession in such a way, wouldnt mind the ref was 20 mins late for kick off!!
    Strictly speaking the referee was correct. Law 15 - The Throw in states that A throw-in is awarded:....

• from the point where it crossed the touch line

If the throw is not from taken the correct place the trow is awarded to the opposing team.

The referee is under no obligation to tell the player where to take the throw from, but common sense should alway prevail amd a quick reminder never goes amiss from the referee (if the referee is particular about this). If a player has difficulty remembering where the ball went out, a team-mate should ask.

I normally don't mind a yard here or there, if a player is taking liberties, a quick blast of the whistle followed by an instruction to go back usually works, if they then take the throw I award it then the other way. I haven't awarded a foul throw for a player taking liberties this season yet, so for me, it works.

As for being 20 minutes late, he could have had car trouble? It shouldn't happen, but like everything in life, it does.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    thanks Ref. I don't really buy into the car breaking down story, if an away team turned up 20 mins late and said their car broke down I doubt they'd get to play the game. Surely he could have aimed to be at the grounds 30 mins before kick off (and so covering himself if car breaks down etc) rather than planning on turning up a few mins before hand.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    thanks Ref. I don't really buy into the car breaking down story, if an away team turned up 20 mins late and said their car broke down I doubt they'd get to play the game. Surely he could have aimed to be at the grounds 30 mins before kick off (and so covering himself if car breaks down etc) rather than planning on turning up a few mins before hand.
    I always try and be at the ground at least 30 minutes before a game, 99% of the time I achieve that but it can happen that something slows me down. Being late is unprofessional but it can happen, the referee may not have known the location of the ground, car breakdown, family emergency etc. If the referee was doing this regularly then it would be a problem and the local branch of the referees society and the league should intervene. Lets give the referee the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.

The Ref

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In A peno shoot out player hits the up right comes down hits the back off the keeper, goes into the goal?
    is it a goal or is the ball dead once it hits the upright.
    you might clear this up for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    In A peno shoot out player hits the up right comes down hits the back off the keeper, goes into the goal?
    is it a goal or is the ball dead once it hits the upright.
    you might clear this up for me.
    This was first brought to light during the 1986 World Cup in a game between France and Brazil. At that time a penalty was deemed to be completed when the ball was no longer traveling forward. During the penalty shootout, Bellone,a French player hit the post and it rebounded back about two yards and hit Carlos, the Brazil keeper in the back and went in.

The referee allowed the goal, but under the laws of the game at that time was wrong. A lot of media picked up on it, which prompted FIFA to change that particular rule.

Now the under the procedure for deciding the winner of a match with kicks from the penalty mark:

“Unless otherwise stated, the relevant Laws of the Game and international F.A. Board Decisions apply when kicks from the penalty mark are being taken”

which infers from Law 14 The Penalty Kick

“When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar, and/or the goalkeeper”

So yes it is a goal.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just wondering ref.... Can a goalkeeper use a kicking tee when taking a goal kick?? I sew it the weekend in our match??

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast