Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    This not a "Rules of the Game" question but has anyone any info on the following.

With a small pool of referees to cover both junior and schoolboys in a county what proportionate commitment do referees have to give and what priority is applied to each ???
    I am not sure if this is 100% correct shelbourne but I think that referee's do a seminar every year and have to register with the FAI with regards to their grade, availibility etc.
    As most Schoolboy games are played on a Saturday, maybe your referee's are unwilling to give up two days or are unable to give up two days due to work or family commitments.
    As for priority, I would think that most referees just officiate at the games they are given by the fixtures secretaries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Interested View Post
    I am not sure if this is 100% correct shelbourne but I think that referee's do a seminar every year and have to register with the FAI with regards to their grade, availibility etc.
    As most Schoolboy games are played on a Saturday, maybe your referee's are unwilling to give up two days or are unable to give up two days due to work or family commitments.
    As for priority, I would think that most referees just officiate at the games they are given by the fixtures secretaries.
    Not all schoolboys play Sat - The second largest league in Europe NDSL (DDSL is the largest) is largely played on Sunday. Referees from the NDSL quite often officiate at LSL games and vice versa.

Yes referees do a seminar, and register with the FAI, but referees can let it be known if they wish to officiate just junior/schoolboys.

The system in Dublin is different to the rest of the country.

In a lot of areas outside Dublin, the matchs are allocated by the assessor and not the fixtures secretary, in fact this was the case in the schoolboys leagues in the late 80s/early 90s.
    Smile........ it confuses people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Not all schoolboys play Sat - The second largest league in Europe NDSL (DDSL is the largest) is largely played on Sunday. Referees from the NDSL quite often officiate at LSL games and vice versa.

Yes referees do a seminar, and register with the FAI, but referees can let it be known if they wish to officiate just junior/schoolboys.

The system in Dublin is different to the rest of the country.

In a lot of areas outside Dublin, the matchs are allocated by the assessor and not the fixtures secretary, in fact this was the case in the schoolboys leagues in the late 80s/early 90s.
    Granted the Referee numbers in the big smokes like Dublin and Cork can cater for Saturday and Sunday Football, but once you come out into the sticks, where Schoolboy Football is played on a Saturday the numbers are just not there to cater for all grades of football.
    It is becoming a big problem for the smaller Leagues as Shelbourne has indicated, where the higher grade referees are not making themselves available for both Saturdays and Sundays.
    The point I was trying to get across is that maybe they are unable to give two days of there free time off due to other interests ie FAMILY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just a little question for you ref that I came upon over the weekend. The answer might be obvious but have to ask anyway.

In hurricane conditons, which I'm sure everyone had last weekend if playing a game, a keeper kicks out the ball from the ground following a wide, the ball travels into the breeze and comes back in the direction of the keeper...What are the keepers options ?
    You laugh at me because I'm different,
    I laugh at you because you're all the same........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Van The Man View Post
    Just a little question for you ref that I came upon over the weekend. The answer might be obvious but have to ask anyway.

In hurricane conditons, which I'm sure everyone had last weekend if playing a game, a keeper kicks out the ball from the ground following a wide, the ball travels into the breeze and comes back in the direction of the keeper...What are the keepers options ?

If the ball does not go outside the box - the kick is retaken.

If the ball goes outside the box, if the goalkeeper touches it before another player touches it - an indirect free kick is awarded (if he handles it outside the box its a direct free kick).

If the ball goes outside the box, re enters the box and it goes into the goal - if the goalkeeper and no another player touches the ball - a corner is awarded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If the ball does not go outside the box - the kick is retaken.

If the ball goes outside the box, if the goalkeeper touches it before another player touches it - an indirect free kick is awarded (if he handles it outside the box its a direct free kick).

If the ball goes outside the box, re enters the box and it goes into the goal - if the goalkeeper and no another player touches the ball - a corner is awarded.
    Cheers Ref. was just curious.
    You laugh at me because I'm different,
    I laugh at you because you're all the same........

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is it true that the 6 second rule for goalkeepers is gone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a question concerning jerseys, if the two teams have the same colour kit is it the home team or the away team that has to change?
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 10/01/2007 at 7:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler View Post
    Is it true that the 6 second rule for goalkeepers is gone?
    Curler

No, it is still contained in Law 12.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magpies View Post
    I have a question concerning jerseys, if the two teams have the same colour kit is it the home team or the away team that has to change?
    Magpies,

There is nothing in the Laws of the game to answer this one, however competition rules will nearly always specify, and in my experience, it is usually the home team that has to change.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yea I thaught the same myself but others were saying that it was the away team who have to change, I always thaught it was the home team... we will just have to see....

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Magpies,

There is nothing in the Laws of the game to answer this one, however competition rules will nearly always specify, and in my experience, it is usually the home team that has to change.

The Ref
    Logic would dictate the home team as surely it would be easier for them to secure a change of kit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Folks,

As we have been unsticked, if you want to keep this thread going you will have to keep posting questions.

I will be online most days, and if this falls off the radar, just pm any questions you may have.

The Ref

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Ref, what's the rule regarding a keeper's black jersey? Some refs insist on the keeper changing, others don't care and some ref's will change their own jersey. Is there a ruling on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    is there any rule regarding ungentlemanly conduct.
    yesterday we played the ball off throw in because one of the opposing players was injured. usually there are a couple of scenarios the can be played out. but on this occassion the ball was thrown back to our defender who intended to kick it back to the opposition. however the centre forward attack the full back for the ball and dispossesed him crossed the ball in and scored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    Ref, what's the rule regarding a keeper's black jersey? Some refs insist on the keeper changing, others don't care and some ref's will change their own jersey. Is there a ruling on this?
    Law 4 states that a goalkeeper must wear a jersey that distinguishes him from other players, the referee and the assistant referee.

The onus is on the goalkeeper to change (the way the law is worded), however I bring 3 jerseys with me to every match to ovoid confusion and only once did I have a clash.

(an interesting point, when I started refereeing, the chief referees inspector told our group that did the referees course that no player is ever allowed to wear black as referees were not permitted to wear any other colours other than black)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
    is there any rule regarding ungentlemanly conduct.
    yesterday we played the ball off throw in because one of the opposing players was injured. usually there are a couple of scenarios the can be played out. but on this occassion the ball was thrown back to our defender who intended to kick it back to the opposition. however the centre forward attack the full back for the ball and dispossesed him crossed the ball in and scored.
    Parkfan,

I'm not sure what happened but there is no rule that covers this. A question similar (but not the same) was asked earlier in this thread, here is the answer I gave below.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    One more for The Ref! These days its common practice for players to put the ball out of play for injuries etc. I was wondering if a ref would be within his rights to book a player/award a free if, for example, Team A took advantage of Team B putting the ball out of play to allow attention to an injured member of Team A.
    I will answer this question is its two parts

a) A question similar to this actually started this thread so this is the answer I gave then

There is no rule. If a player kicks the ball out of play, the opposition are under no obligation to return the ball to them, also if the referee stops the game in order for a player to receive treatment and no foul has occured, a drop ball restarts the game neither team is obligated to return the ball. (For a drop ball) If a player states to the referee that he is returning the ball to the oppisition and the drop ball becomes uncontested and that player "changes his mind" and dosen't pass the ball back, there is nothing the referee can do (offically), in practice, most referees will stop the game and re-drop the ball which will then become fiercly contested.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    can u help here ..

was in a pub yesterday and good discusion overheard a bout a penalty decision..

player went to tackle in box ,, but at last min pulled his leg back no contact to oppistion player .. who many thought dived... referee gave a penalty with explanation.. it was for intent same as fouling player ... i have stopped playing a fews years ago but this seems a new one to me ..

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    can u help here ..

was in a pub yesterday and good discusion overheard a bout a penalty decision..

player went to tackle in box ,, but at last min pulled his leg back no contact to oppistion player .. who many thought dived... referee gave a penalty with explanation.. it was for intent same as fouling player ... i have stopped playing a fews years ago but this seems a new one to me ..
    i am not a ref but i think the 'intent' thing is a bit all over the shop. Stevie gerrard got a peno in the first game of the season where a player slid in and in trying to hurdle him he strugled to shot. the ref gave a peno. This was for the intent as if gerrard did not hurdle he would have been cleaved and in hurdling him , he lost his balance and oppertuinty to score.
    If the leg was pulled away and this did not effect the player it should have been a free out and a card for diving. If he tried to get out of the way and went down then i suppose the peno is correct.
    'You should never have a bad game, off the ball.......'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goals4fun View Post
    i am not a ref but i think the 'intent' thing is a bit all over the shop. Stevie gerrard got a peno in the first game of the season where a player slid in and in trying to hurdle him he strugled to shot. the ref gave a peno. This was for the intent as if gerrard did not hurdle he would have been cleaved and in hurdling him , he lost his balance and oppertuinty to score.
    If the leg was pulled away and this did not effect the player it should have been a free out and a card for diving. If he tried to get out of the way and went down then i suppose the peno is correct.
    would agree with u on above ,, could be some very dodgy penaltys if referees start using intent ... to deceide on these decision.. what if my intent was to win the ball .

" football is a simple game "

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast