Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Lover View Post
    Isnt that Shelbourne team the guts of the Distillery team from last year

It dosen't surprise me that one of there player would stoop to headbutting a player, they are also the masters of spitting at you as well off the ball.

Its a pity you dont suspend the lot of them with val ward as well
    This is not the fourm for these remarks
    Smile........ it confuses people

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Isnt that Shelbourne team the guts of the Distillery team from last year

It dosen't surprise me that one of there player would stoop to headbutting a player, they are also the masters of spitting at you as well off the ball.

Its a pity you dont suspend the lot of them with val ward as well
    I wont mention the team we played!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Enclosed pitches

Hi Ref

How much room is required between the line and the boundary of the field, to allow a game to go ahead? I know the advertising stands must be a minimum of 1 mtr but is this the same for barriers and walls?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    Hi Ref

How much room is required between the line and the boundary of the field, to allow a game to go ahead? I know the advertising stands must be a minimum of 1 mtr but is this the same for barriers and walls?
    and electric fences

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    Hi Ref

There is nothing in the Laws that state a minimum width between a boundry and the line of the field of play. You are correct regarding the advertising stand must be a minimum of 1m but IMO the safety of players is paramount, if I deem that a boundry (especally a wall) is too close, I won't allow the game to proceed. I have seen a scurry for a line marker minutes before the game was due to commence for this very reason (I was not the ref).

IMO 1m is the minimum I would accept, but if the wall is a high wall (over 3-4ft) I would want it further. There was a ground in Blackrock in Dublin that the pitch was so close to wall, a player couldn't run to take a corner, and the box was 4ft from the sideline (i.e. it didn't make the minimum with of a pitch), I refused to ever referee on that pitch for these very reasons (the referee allocations officer understood my concerns and never put me there).

Does this answer your question?

The Ref

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs up

Hi The Ref,

Just to let you know that at a recent branch meeting, the points raised here were discussed.

My brother has informed me of the following:

1. After all players that have finished the match have taken a penalty, they DO NOT have to come back in the same order.

2. In relation to the goalkeeper handling the back pass. Thats the only offence he commits. You award an indireck free kick. The free kick in Law 12 is a direct free kick if the player denies the opponent a goal scoring opportunity and the offence takes place outside the area.

Their FAI assessor says that your guy should contact the FAI and get this clarified as he is instructing you and your fellow referees incorrectly.

With all this debate amongst referees about the laws, I think I shall remain a fan and let all you guys get on with the job!!

Best of luck for the new season!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    There is nothing in the Laws that state a minimum width between a boundry and the line of the field of play. You are correct regarding the advertising stand must be a minimum of 1m but IMO the safety of players is paramount, if I deem that a boundry (especally a wall) is too close, I won't allow the game to proceed. I have seen a scurry for a line marker minutes before the game was due to commence for this very reason (I was not the ref).

IMO 1m is the minimum I would accept, but if the wall is a high wall (over 3-4ft) I would want it further. There was a ground in Blackrock in Dublin that the pitch was so close to wall, a player couldn't run to take a corner, and the box was 4ft from the sideline (i.e. it didn't make the minimum with of a pitch), I refused to ever referee on that pitch for these very reasons (the referee allocations officer understood my concerns and never put me there).

The Ref
    Yep thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Here's another interesting question for The Ref, if you don’t mind!

Regarding the "professional foul", Law 12 states that a player is sent off if he " denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick”

My issue is with the phrase “moving towards the player’s goal”. It is quite possible that a player could have an “obvious goalscoring opportunity” without moving towards goal.

e.g. A ball is played in to the near post, keeper and striker go for the ball, both fall over and the ball runs across the face of goal. The striker gets up first and goes running across the face of goal (therefore not moving towards goal). Keeper realises striker is going to get there first, so deliberately trips him. This is certainly denying “an obvious goalscoring opportunity” but according to the letter of the law it is not a sending off offence, as the opposing player is not “moving towards the player’s [goalkeeper’s] goal”

What would your interpretation here be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    here Ref , was watching something on Trans World Sport which didn't put refs in a good light was wondering what ruling this ref was using...

Incident happened in Brazilian League Game and actually the Ref is i think the only lady to be an official referee there (not holding that against her for this decision though). what happened was that Team A had shot on goal and it hit the side netting, while everybody was turning away and heading back up field one of the Ball boys decide to kick the ball into the goal of Team B... you would think then its not a goal but nope the referee gave the goal

if that happened in Limerick League not sure what reaction the ref would get or

what you think of that decision Ref????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Here's another interesting question for The Ref, if you don’t mind!

Regarding the "professional foul", Law 12 states that a player is sent off if he " denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick”

My issue is with the phrase “moving towards the player’s goal”. It is quite possible that a player could have an “obvious goalscoring opportunity” without moving towards goal.

e.g. A ball is played in to the near post, keeper and striker go for the ball, both fall over and the ball runs across the face of goal. The striker gets up first and goes running across the face of goal (therefore not moving towards goal). Keeper realises striker is going to get there first, so deliberately trips him. This is certainly denying “an obvious goalscoring opportunity” but according to the letter of the law it is not a sending off offence, as the opposing player is not “moving towards the player’s [goalkeeper’s] goal”

What would your interpretation here be?

Penalty - Red Card, if I thought that I could'nt justify the Red Card by saying that the defender "denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent who was moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick", I could (using your example) justify the Red Card as "Serious foul Play"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holycrossjock View Post
    here Ref , was watching something on Trans World Sport which didn't put refs in a good light was wondering what ruling this ref was using...

Incident happened in Brazilian League Game and actually the Ref is i think the only lady to be an official referee there (not holding that against her for this decision though). what happened was that Team A had shot on goal and it hit the side netting, while everybody was turning away and heading back up field one of the Ball boys decide to kick the ball into the goal of Team B... you would think then its not a goal but nope the referee gave the goal

if that happened in Limerick League not sure what reaction the ref would get or

what you think of that decision Ref????

Saw it myself, very funny...... but decision was wrong

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey ref,

What happens if a player breaks his leg on the pitch during the match

do you play on or call the game off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey ref,

What happens if a player breaks his leg on the pitch during the match

do you play on or call the game off
    It all depends,

1 How serious the break is

2 How long before the injury get proper medical attention

3 Can the player be safely moved

4 The condition of the remaining players.

Thankfully this doesn't happen too often, twice in my career, both times I have abandoned the game. The second time was because I couldn't continue (both teams were willing to play on) as the player in question was a friend of mine.

I would imagine in most cases in Junior football the referee would abandon the game

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It all depends,

1 How serious the break is

2 How long before the injury get proper medical attention

3 Can the player be safely moved

4 The condition of the remaining players.

Thankfully this doesn't happen too often, twice in my career, both times I have abandoned the game. The second time was because I couldn't continue (both teams were willing to play on) as the player in question was a friend of mine.

I would imagine in most cases in Junior football the referee would abandon the game

The Ref
    I was unfortunate enough to be playing in a local game where one of the opposition players badly broke his leg in two places, it was out the country so it took the ambulance about 30 minutes or more to get to the pitch. By this time both sets of players had witnessed the pain and agony that the poor chap had to endure before the emergancy services arrived, not to mention that we had lost all interest in playing the game.
    The referee for some unknown reason wanted to continue the match after the lad had been removed, both teams refused to continue, to the utter dismay of the ref. Both teams were fined for not completing the fixture due to his report, needless to say any respect that this particular referee had before went out the window.
    I was pleased to see your reply to the question as a bit of compassion would not have been lost in my own instance. After all, we all play for enjoyment and believe me, joy was not the feeling on the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

advice on match cards

what is the rules regarding match cards

recent match late into second half sub came on ref asked for his name .. sub struggled to remember had to look up and down match card .. ref then went to manager on sideline and after 1-2 mins sub came on... when we asked to see match card after match referee showed it 16 players had been named ... but number sixteen had been crossed out & subs name written under it ...

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    what is the rules regarding match cards

recent match late into second half sub came on ref asked for his name .. sub struggled to remember had to look up and down match card .. ref then went to manager on sideline and after 1-2 mins sub came on... when we asked to see match card after match referee showed it 16 players had been named ... but number sixteen had been crossed out & subs name written under it ...
    Law 3 The number of players provides that in all matches, the names of substitutes must be given to the referee prior to the start of the match. Substitutes not so named may not take part in the match.

In reality, in junior football, getting both teams to fill out the match card prior to the match is next to impossible. It is my opinion that once both teams have completed the card and handed it to the referee, no alterations may be made.

It would seem that the crux of the matter here is, did the referee allow a change to be made to the card when the substitution was being made, and if so, who completed the details on the card. If the alteration was made prior to the referee receiving the completed match card by both teams - in my opinion no offence has occurred.

If the alteration was made during the substitution, the referee was derelict in his/her duty. If you have proof you should bring it to the attention of the league.

FYI, if I ask a substitute his name and it does not correspond with a name on the card (lets face it there can be a mistake with players numbers), I will allow him to play, but will furnish a report to the league who can deal with it under their rules. I am under NO obligation to inform the opposition and will not do so.

This is not specifically dealt with by the laws of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Law 3 The number of players provides that in all matches, the names of substitutes must be given to the referee prior to the start of the match. Substitutes not so named may not take part in the match.

In reality, in junior football, getting both teams to fill out the match card prior to the match is next to impossible. It is my opinion that once both teams have completed the card and handed it to the referee, no alterations may be made.

It would seem that the crux of the matter here is, did the referee allow a change to be made to the card when the substitution was being made, and if so, who completed the details on the card. If the alteration was made prior to the referee receiving the completed match card by both teams - in my opinion no offence has occurred.

If the alteration was made during the substitution, the referee was derelict in his/her duty. If you have proof you should bring it to the attention of the league.

FYI, if I ask a substitute his name and it does not correspond with a name on the card (lets face it there can be a mistake with players numbers), I will allow him to play, but will furnish a report to the league who can deal with it under their rules. I am under NO obligation to inform the opposition and will not do so.

This is not specifically dealt with by the laws of the game.
    seems referee allowed change to be made upon substitution ,, manager or assistant made the change .. referee then after match walking back to club house said to same person who changed match card i still have an issue with you over this card ..

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    seems referee allowed change to be made upon substitution ,, manager or assistant made the change .. referee then after match walking back to club house said to same person who changed match card i still have an issue with you over this card ..
    I suggest you write to your league and ask them to look into it. It will then be up to the league to investigate and determine if any wrongdoing has occurred and impose appropriate sanctions if it is upheld that your opposition has breached a rule.

If the referee has an issue with the card, he should submit a report to the league. After that I can not offer any mode advice - sorry

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This not a "Rules of the Game" question but has anyone any info on the following.

With a small pool of referees to cover both junior and schoolboys in a county what proportionate commitment do referees have to give and what priority is applied to each ???
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    This not a "Rules of the Game" question but has anyone any info on the following.

With a small pool of referees to cover both junior and schoolboys in a county what proportionate commitment do referees have to give and what priority is applied to each ???
    At the start of every season, referees are asked to declare their availability (Sat morning/Afternoon/Both, Sun Morning/Afternoon/Both. They are then allocated games on their availability/ability and preference. To my knowledge, referees do not have to give commitment to either. All things being equal, the priority is given by the assessor.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast