Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 506

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

  1. #61
    International Prospect micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,032
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    356
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    274
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by football fan View Post
    I am sorry to say Ref but you and your colleagues are wrong. After all players that have finished the game have taken a penalty(in the case of the Drogheda game, 11 players on both sides), they DO NOT have to come back in the same order. In fact the player that takes number 11 could come back and take the very first penalty second time around.

    Very basic stuff Ref and one that you and your colleagues should be aware of.
    On this point the ref, in the game whre it was brought up drogheda vs Start AFAIK Start did not have the same player take th first kick of the second round as the first.

    Im not 100% sure on this but read it on the Drogheda website.

  2. #62
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I have a question I'd like answered, its based on an incident in the league last year.

    Team A were awarded a free on the half-way line. As they prepared to take it a forward from Team A elbowed a defender from Team B and was sent off. Play was restarted with a free to Team B from the position of the second offence (the elbowing).

    I'd have bet a large sum of money that play should be restarted with a free on the halfway line to ten man Team A as the ball was "out of play" when the second offence, the elbow, took place?
    From what you say - you should win your bet. As you correctly point out the ball was out of play, therefore the game should have restarted with a free kick to team A.
    Smile........ it confuses people

  3. #63
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holycrossjock View Post
    hi ref,

    is there any changes to the pass back rule this year, reason for question

    got bit angry with decision at weekend. where there was a melly in the box four our five players swiping for the ball, but it was our player that took at the swipe at ball the ball spun up bounce around six yard box and our keeper grabbed the ball. the ref then gives free kick for pass back.

    lucky nothing came about from it but was he right in his decision?
    This is a very tricky question. In order for an indirect free kick to be given, the referee must be of the opinion that the player "deliberately" or "intentionally" played the ball to the goalkeeper. In a mêlée in the box, it can be sometime difficult for the referee to judge what is intent and what is not.

    Unfortunately referees cannot read players minds (if we could life would be so much easier) therefore you have to judge each case on its merits, and in these instances referees will always get something’s wrong.

    In direct answer to your question - no the rule hasen't changed.

    Its funny you mention this, because this happened to a colleague of mne this weekend - where was the match?
    Smile........ it confuses people

  4. #64
    Suspended Jock MIB's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    in a match in croom limerick

  5. #65
    Suspended Jock MIB's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i have to apologise to the ref next time i see him i did a bit of a steve staunton after that, i know they can make mistakes, i just need to learn to control my mouth some times

  6. #66
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holycrossjock View Post
    i have to apologise to the ref next time i see him i did a bit of a steve staunton after that, i know they can make mistakes, i just need to learn to control my mouth some times
    These things happen, appologise if you wish, if he has any grace he will accept it in the way it is meant. I know, I appriciate it when players and managers shake my hand at the end of the game - at that stage its all over and theres nothing more that can be done. I have never fallen out with anyone over a football match and hopefully never will.
    Smile........ it confuses people

  7. #67
    Suspended Jock MIB's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i know just found out he is ref for our next match. so hopefully he will accept olive branch .

    talk later ref

  8. #68
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by football fan View Post
    Sorry Ref but I am NOT a referee. I can say that my father and brother are referees so you can imagine the conversations in our house. I will ask them again and to go back to their branch with the question. Its from them that I get my information and my healthy respect for all you referees.
    If your father and/or brother can bring it at branch level that would be great, I was talking to one of my leagues assessors today and he agreed with my interpretation (he doesn’t know I do this as a as a bit of fun), but would look for further clarification. He also agreed to discuss it again at branch level, I think this question may have raised a hornets nest (on this forum anyway) and it would be nice to put it to bed. All I hope is that whatever comes out of it is that there is consistency right across the board.
    Smile........ it confuses people

  9. #69
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    385
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    From what you say - you should win your bet. As you correctly point out the ball was out of play, therefore the game should have restarted with a free kick to team A.
    Thanks, The Ref. So its official, theres an anti-Dundalk refereeing conspiracy! Not the only case last season of referees in the eircom League not knowing the rules. One of them allowed a free for offside to be taken 2 yards inside the defending teams half.

  10. #70
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    385
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    One more for The Ref, if you don't mind! A strange one... playing in Leinster League a couple of years ago, somebody played a backpass to our keeper, who bent down to pick it up. The ref promptly whistled for a free, but did it marginally before the ball reached the keeper, so the keeper stopped playing, stood up and didnt actually handle the ball. A forward ran in and played the ball into the empty net, and the ref let the goal stand (though the defence and keeper had stopped playing at the whistle.) What's the rule for a refree 'accidentally' whistling?!! I'd have thought this was a drop-ball, surely we shouldnt have played on?

  11. #71
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    One more for The Ref, if you don't mind! A strange one... playing in Leinster League a couple of years ago, somebody played a backpass to our keeper, who bent down to pick it up. The ref promptly whistled for a free, but did it marginally before the ball reached the keeper, so the keeper stopped playing, stood up and didnt actually handle the ball. A forward ran in and played the ball into the empty net, and the ref let the goal stand (though the defence and keeper had stopped playing at the whistle.) What's the rule for a refree 'accidentally' whistling?!! I'd have thought this was a drop-ball, surely we shouldnt have played on?
    When you say it is strange, you certainly meant it. The laws of the game only cover what should happen during a game, I have racked my brains and can't think where it could be covered by the laws except for,

    Law 8 the start/restart of play "A dropped ball is a way of restarting the match after a temporary stoppage that becomes necessary, while the ball is in play, for any reason not mentioned elsewhere in the Laws of the Game."

    By whistling too soon, in my opinion, the referee has in effect stopped play. As there has been no offence committed, and no free kick to either team, it becomes a temporary stoppage, thus a drop ball.

    From the facts as you told me, a bit of common sense was needed here and a drop ball would have been the fairest solution. I do believe (again from the facts above) a goal should not have been awarded.

    This is just my opinion, as the rules don't specifically cover this situation, others may want to put their ideas forward.

    The Ref
    Smile........ it confuses people

  12. #72
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    385
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Thanks The Ref. It's a beauty alright! I'd be of the same opinion, it was "a temporary stoppage ... while the ball is in play, for any reason not mentioned elsewhere in the Laws of the Game." Also there's golden rule of not playing after the whistle. As a ref cannot play advantage after whistling for a foul, surely he can't play advantage after accidentally whistling for a foul!

    I suppose an alternative opinion might be that it would be an indirect free to the attacking team for the keeper "attempting" to handle a back-pass?? After all you don't have to make contact to commit a foul, so perhaps the keeper committed a foul in attempting to pick up the back-pass.

  13. #73
    Coach
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wicklow
    Posts
    6,810
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    427
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    280
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post

    By whistling too soon, in my opinion, the referee has in effect stopped play. As there has been no offence committed, and no free kick to either team, it becomes a temporary stoppage, thus a drop ball.


    The Ref
    That would be by far the farest and most logical solution imo.

  14. #74
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I suppose an alternative opinion might be that it would be an indirect free to the attacking team for the keeper "attempting" to handle a back-pass?? After all you don't have to make contact to commit a foul, so perhaps the keeper committed a foul in attempting to pick up the back-pass.
    The keeper only commits an offence when he actually "touches the ball with his hand" (Law 12 refers), therefore the intent dosen't matter

    no touch - no free

    The Ref
    Smile........ it confuses people

  15. #75
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,664
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Very illuminating thread, you're now my favourite ref by default.

    How about this one. It's been a long time (ten years or more) since I scrutinized the laws of the game, so this may have been amended in the meantime. However, I distinctly (okay, hazily) remember reading something to the effect that the game could be truncated to fewer than 45 minutes each way with the consent of both captains.

    If this remains operative, the potential for abuse is obvious. Teams could shorten the duration of a game to produce a mutually beneficial result, or alleviate unwanted fixture congestion.

    Am I totally off the wall here?
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

  16. #76
    Youth Team The Ref's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a football pitch
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Very illuminating thread, you're now my favourite ref by default.

    How about this one. It's been a long time (ten years or more) since I scrutinized the laws of the game, so this may have been amended in the meantime. However, I distinctly (okay, hazily) remember reading something to the effect that the game could be truncated to fewer than 45 minutes each way with the consent of both captains.

    If this remains operative, the potential for abuse is obvious. Teams could shorten the duration of a game to produce a mutually beneficial result, or alleviate unwanted fixture congestion.

    Am I totally off the wall here?
    Your right, but you forgot one vital piece of information, it must be agreed between the two teams (I'm not going to split hairs with the captains - same difference) and the referee and it must be done prior to the game starting.

    Also the competition rules must not have a proviso in them that the game cannot be shortened

    If two teams want to play out a mutually agreeable result, this can be done (without the referees knowledge) over any period a half, be it 45mis 40 mins etc.

    I personally don't know any referee who would allow a game to be shortened for a reason that wasn't bona fide e.g. light not to hold. IMO If a referee did shorten a game, to aliviate fixture congestion, fix a result or any other reason that is not genuine then he is only cheating and has no place in the game. Thankfully, I don't know of any such referees.
    Smile........ it confuses people

  17. #77
    Reserves
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    251
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Thumbs down To the ref

    Ref during our match yesterday with hill celtic, frank o,neill disallowed a goal cause he said u need more than 2 on the line. A hill celtic player and goalkeeper were on the line when our forward tapped in a perfectly good goal, what was that clown on about when he didnt award it

  18. #78
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    181
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Question

    I was at a game yesterday. One team scored and as the players were heading back towards there half of the field, the other team centered off and had a shot at goal. The ref said that if it had gone in he would have allowed it, even though there were 3 or 4 players from the team who scored still in the wrong half of the pitch as the ball was centered off. Was the ref correct?? or should everyone be in the right side of the pitch when the ball is centered off.

  19. #79
    First Team Goals4fun's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    hey ref what about this one,
    a defender plays the ball back to the keeper ( a true backpass 100%). the keeper goes to kick the ball but it bounces over his leg (does not touch it). The ball is definately going into the goal and the keeper dives and catches it. what is the decision?

  20. #80
    First Team Goals4fun's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    and another,
    a player takes a throw to a team mate. He heads this directly backwards (on purpose) for the keeper to pick up. The keeper comes and picks the ball up (inside the box)
    what is the decision?

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Laws of the Game
    By Jwal in forum Junior League
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/02/2008, 8:52 PM
  2. Quiz on the Laws of the Game (Round 8)
    By The Ref in forum Junior League
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28/10/2006, 3:56 PM
  3. Quiz on the Laws of the Game (Round 6)
    By The Ref in forum Junior League
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16/10/2006, 7:45 PM
  4. Quiz on the Laws of the Game (Round 2)
    By The Ref in forum Junior League
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09/10/2006, 2:32 PM
  5. Penalties......the Laws of the game
    By wws in forum St Patrick's Athletic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10/07/2003, 2:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •