Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Paradox
    OK, I will accept the FAI, but the Society Branch that I'm involved with is quite good - agree to disagree?
    Smile........ it confuses people

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    What's the rule concerning calling for the ball? Are you not allowed call "yours" or "mine"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    What's the rule concerning calling for the ball? Are you not allowed call "yours" or "mine"?
    You can call "mine" or "yours" and no infringement occurs unless it puts an opposing player off.

If so it is deemed to be impeding the progress of a player (covered under Law 12) and is punishable by an indirect free kick i.e. a goal cannot be scored directly from the free kick.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by The Ref; 22/08/2006 at 1:35 AM. Reason: spelling error

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    The "new" offside rule (it changed for last season), is that no offence has taken place until the player in an offside position actually plays the ball (the act of just being there is not an offence). However if the last mans (usually the keeper) view is obstructed by a player in an offside position that player is deemed offside. From what you said the referee was right under the laws to allow play to continue, but in practice 99% of referees would have blown him up for offside.
    So you are telling me that given that there was only 1 attacker in an offside position from the pass forward, which was played to him directly, despite the efforts of the defender to cut out the pass, under the laws of the game he's onside. I don't think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend View Post
    So you are telling me that given that there was only 1 attacker in an offside position from the pass forward, which was played to him directly, despite the efforts of the defender to cut out the pass, under the laws of the game he's onside. I don't think so.
    Roadend, I stand corrected,

The Law that deals with Offside states that The definitions of elements of involvement in active play are as follows:

* Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.

* Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

* Gaining an advantage by being in that position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

The third element covers your situation, I apologise.

This came up at a referees meeting in the past and a EL referee stated what I told you, however the rules has it covered and I was wrong, but I did say 99% of referees would have blown for it.

Once again apologies.

The Ref

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Offside animation

Hi I have put the offside demo back up on the website homepage www.ldmc.ie there are about 20 examples and it should make things easier just click the red highlighted area on the top right

Let me know if it is any help or if you think it is worth while leaving up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Old Keeper - well put together, great to see a League making available a practical tool for players/referees/coaches etc

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You can call "mine" or "yours" and no infringement occurs unless it puts an opposing player off.

If so it is deemed to be impeding the progress of a player (covered under Law 12) and is punishable by an indirect free kick i.e. a goal cannot be scored directly from the free kick.

I hope this helps
    I was under the impression that any call like 'Mine', 'Yours' etc, was deemed to be an infringement!! (i.e. you must call a name?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zizu's head View Post
    I was under the impression that any call like 'Mine', 'Yours' etc, was deemed to be an infringement!! (i.e. you must call a name?)
    This is a common misconception; it was a rule some years ago (in the 80’s) and was specifically mentioned in the rules. When I started refereeing in 1985 the rule was in force, but sometime between then and 1992 (the oldest rule book I can find) the Law was scrapped.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a common misconception; it was a rule some years ago (in the 80’s) and was specifically mentioned in the rules. When I started refereeing in 1985 the rule was in force, but sometime between then and 1992 (the oldest rule book I can find) the Law was scrapped.
    Does that not leave it up in the air as to whether or not the call causes an obstruction to the opposing player? How do you decide?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zizu's head View Post
    Does that not leave it up in the air as to whether or not the call causes an obstruction to the opposing player? How do you decide?
    No I don't think so, let's say two defenders are going for a ball - no attacker is within twenty yards of the ball and one calls mine, you could never give a free kick there.

If an attacker and defender are jumping and the defender (or attacker) calls mine, you have to look did it put the opposing player off, in most cases it doesn't so why give a free. If the player hears "mine" and doesn't challange then I would award an indirect free kick.

I would apply the same logic if a player uses any other tatic to put the opponent off e.g. screaming "AHHHHHH" or calling the players name, I would award a free kick. All in all it's a judgement call and I really don't find it difficult to police.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Old Keeper - well put together, great to see a League making available a practical tool for players/referees/coaches etc
    Hi

The link is to the FIFA site not ours so while we would like to take credit for it we can't. There is some good stuff out there for clubs and refs but the problem is a forum to share and impart the info. I would hope to have a few competitions over the year on the laws of the game our league sponsors ERREA have agreed to give us tracksuits and gear as prizes. this would culminate in a pub quiz for teams.
    Last edited by Old keeper; 23/08/2006 at 10:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    Hi

The link is to the FIFA site not ours so while we would like to take credit for it we can't. There is some good stuff out there for clubs and refs but the problem is a forum to share and impart the info. I would hope to have a few competitions over the year on the laws of the game our league sponsors ERREA have agreed to give us tracksuits and gear as prizes. this would culminate in a pub quiz for teams.
    Old Keeper,

If you want help with questions etc, send a private message and I'm sure we can arrange something.

The Ref

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, but some referees don't have that thick of skin. Even if a player shouts "Fcuk off ref" after a penalty decision I generally let it go, I've played a bit so I remember what its like. However if a player makes a run torward me then I will take action.
    Surely Bad Languadge is a part of everyday life for most people and in my opinion a player who says "******" or "**** it" after missing a goalscoring chance should be accepted by the referee, as in most cases the bad languadge is directed at the player himself.
    If however another player calls the culprit a useless ****** or worse a quite word with the offender should suffice.
    If it is more severe than that then a card would should solve the problem.
    Most cards issued in todays game are for dissent to a referees decision.
    I agree that in most cases they are deserved but feel a little common sense from the referee would go a long way. I am not saying that dissent should go unpunished in most cases just some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Interested View Post
    Surely Bad Languadge is a part of everyday life for most people and in my opinion a player who says "******" or "**** it" after missing a goalscoring chance should be accepted by the referee, as in most cases the bad languadge is directed at the player himself.
    If however another player calls the culprit a useless ****** or worse a quite word with the offender should suffice.
    If it is more severe than that then a card would should solve the problem.
    Most cards issued in todays game are for dissent to a referees decision.
    I agree that in most cases they are deserved but feel a little common sense from the referee would go a long way. I am not saying that dissent should go unpunished in most cases just some.
    I agree with nearly everything you say, but as I said if the player makes a run at me, I will then take action.

You say "If however another player calls the culprit a useless ****** or worse a quite word with the offender should suffice.",

If the player who is on the receiving end of the of the abuse takes exception or the abuse is racially motivated, again I will take action, in the latter case, with a dismissal (straight red card)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Here's one for you to clear up which is causing a small bit of debate on the eL forum - last night's game between Drogheda and Start went to penalties. Everyone took one, we reached 10-10 with one miss apiece, so we went around to the start again. Do the rules expicitly state the penalty takers must go in the same order as the first time?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    Just a note

Any of the two clubs could have requested linesmen but they would have to be paid for and also there is the availibility to look at
    -----------------------------
    MOD EDIT:This is for"The Ref" if he wants to reply.
    Please keep your Refereeing questions to this thread.
    ----------------------

Old keeper,

I'm not asking you to comment on the performance of the ref as I know you cant. I thought he rode Pike, the boro would probably say they got the 50 50 calls but these things tend to pan out of a season so Im not too worried about it.

But was he correct in awarding the Boro a penalty after Bennis got sent off. For those who weren't there Bennis had the ball in his hands, Barry as usual was up in his face and then some thing happened that got him sent off. Was at the other side of the pitch so didn't know if it was a headbutt or kick or if there was anythihg at all in it. Anyway Bennis walks, kicks the ball away like a two year old and then to the suprise of everyone inthe ground including the boro he give a penalty.

Ive no idea on the ruling here but the pike secertary who know the rule book like the back of his hand was going ape **** on the side line. To be fair no one else in the groound had a clue. Can you clear it up.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 25/08/2006 at 4:33 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MitreSize5 View Post
    -----------------------------
    MOD EDIT:This is for"The Ref" if he wants to reply.
    Please keep your Refereeing questions to this thread.
    ----------------------

Old keeper,

I'm not asking you to comment on the performance of the ref as I know you cant. I thought he rode Pike, the boro would probably say they got the 50 50 calls but these things tend to pan out of a season so Im not too worried about it.

But was he correct in awarding the Boro a penalty after Bennis got sent off. For those who weren't there Bennis had the ball in his hands, Barry as usual was up in his face and then some thing happened that got him sent off. Was at the other side of the pitch so didn't know if it was a headbutt or kick or if there was anythihg at all in it. Anyway Bennis walks, kicks the ball away like a two year old and then to the suprise of everyone inthe ground including the boro he give a penalty.

Ive no idea on the ruling here but the pike secertary who know the rule book like the back of his hand was going ape **** on the side line. To be fair no one else in the groound had a clue. Can you clear it up.
    The ref will no doubt clear it up but I would imagine if the keeper had the ball and headbutted a player it would result in a straight red and a direct free kick or if the offence was inside the penalty area, a penalty.

If a defender headbutted an attacker outside the area would anyone complain if a direct free kick was awarded?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I presume Bennis is the goalkeeper.

If the ball was in play and he struck the opposing player, the decision is a direct free kick, or if it happened in the penalty area, a penalty kick. Either way it is a straight red-card.

If the ball was not in play (lets say a throw in) , and the player strikes an opponent, it is a straight red-card and the game is restarted in the same way it would have if the offence had not occured, in this example, a throw in.

From what you have saidm this is the course of action I would have taken:

1. Bennis should be dismissed for striking an opponent;
    2. The game is restarted with a penalty kick to the opponent of Bennis team (I'm not sure who was who).

I hope this clarifies the matter.

The Ref
    Last edited by The Ref; 25/08/2006 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Here's one for you to clear up which is causing a small bit of debate on the eL forum - last night's game between Drogheda and Start went to penalties. Everyone took one, we reached 10-10 with one miss apiece, so we went around to the start again. Do the rules expicitly state the penalty takers must go in the same order as the first time?
    In the Laws of the game it specifically states "If, after both teams have taken five kicks, both have scored the same number of goals, or have not scored any goals, kicks continue to be taken in the same order until one team has scored a goal more than the other from the same number of kicks"

So in answer to you question yes the rules expicitly state the penalty takers must go in the same order as the first round.

The Ref
    Last edited by The Ref; 25/08/2006 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast