Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subprime View Post
    "failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
    kick, free kick or throw-in" is in the law book and I often hear refs shouting at players to get back automatic ten yards or yellow card their choice and yet we still hear players (goal keepers) shouting to stand over the ball. I also see some players put the ball down and hit it quickly to take advantage and when they hit it off an opponent cry foul. An odd referee will give them the retake (which is unfair) but a lot just yell to play on as they took it quickly (which is fair). Referees differ and we shiver.
    good points d reason i kept on about this is because last seasons i got sent off(2 yellows) the 1st was for 'delaying' the start off play from a free kick inside the opponents half the player took the free quick and kicked it straight of me i was about 5 yards away the ref had not asked me to move back and the player never asked for 10 yards i taught this was wrong..i got the 2nd yellow for taking a free myself around the box we were attacking bout 25 yards out the wall was lining up and were only bout 2 yards away from me i hadnt asked the ref for 10 yards i took it quick and kicked it straight off the wall(the exact same as what happened me a few mins earlier) but this time the ref said play on the ball went out of play as i was captain i asked to speak to the ref at half time to see how he could make this decision he told me go away his decision is final would not give any explanation so in the 2nd half the other team had a free about 30/35 yards out i wasthe only player standing there so i stood 2 yards away (like what the other team done when they blocked my free and never got booked) the player took the free straight away and kicked it straight off me the ref blew the whistle gave me a 2nd yellow and brought the free up 10 yards as a result a goal was scored????? i just wanted to know the official rule regarding this as i often see quick frees being taken and to me refs usualy let the game play on if a player takes a quick free around the attacking goal and it is blocked but if its a free in ur own half and you take it quick and its blocked you get a yellow for it surely the rules dont state that in 1 part of the pitch its ok but for another part of the pitch its not

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruffunited View Post
    good points d reason i kept on about this is because last seasons i got sent off(2 yellows) the 1st was for 'delaying' the start off play from a free kick inside the opponents half the player took the free quick and kicked it straight of me i was about 5 yards away the ref had not asked me to move back and the player never asked for 10 yards i taught this was wrong..i got the 2nd yellow for taking a free myself around the box we were attacking bout 25 yards out the wall was lining up and were only bout 2 yards away from me i hadnt asked the ref for 10 yards i took it quick and kicked it straight off the wall(the exact same as what happened me a few mins earlier) but this time the ref said play on the ball went out of play as i was captain i asked to speak to the ref at half time to see how he could make this decision he told me go away his decision is final would not give any explanation so in the 2nd half the other team had a free about 30/35 yards out i wasthe only player standing there so i stood 2 yards away (like what the other team done when they blocked my free and never got booked) the player took the free straight away and kicked it straight off me the ref blew the whistle gave me a 2nd yellow and brought the free up 10 yards as a result a goal was scored????? i just wanted to know the official rule regarding this as i often see quick frees being taken and to me refs usualy let the game play on if a player takes a quick free around the attacking goal and it is blocked but if its a free in ur own half and you take it quick and its blocked you get a yellow for it surely the rules dont state that in 1 part of the pitch its ok but for another part of the pitch its not
    Not knowing the full the full story i would think u were unlucky but normaly any where on the pitch except close to goal if a player take a free kick quickly and does not give aplayer a chance to move away the ref will just allow the frre kick to be taken again. But if a player stops on purpose and stops a goal scoring chance any where except the goal areas he would be right to book a player. Also it a case different ref different intereption. There is alot of cases the ref wont allow quick free kicksd because they can't keep up with the play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    What did u think about Nani's goal against Spurs taking that the Ref did not see his handball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    An attacking player was fouled just outside the penalty area but the offending players momentum took both himself and the fouled attacker into the penalty area by a couple of feet. The ref gave a penalty and yellow carded the defender. When questioned the ref said that as the offence continued into the box he deemed it a penalty. I thought that was only the case where a defender was illegally holding an opponent, and not for a sliding tackle. What do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey notaclue, I think you are definitely clued in on this one, I would say the ref was wrong as it is where the offence was committed and not where it ends up (except for holding the jersey-which I think is a stupid rule as the offence starts outside the box and it allows an advantage to see whether it carries into the box and is punished by a harsher free i.e. a penalty). If a defender standing inside the box spits at an opponent who is outside the box a penalty is awarded because the defender was inside the box when he committed the foul and likewise if the defender was outside the box and spit at an opponent who was inside the box then a direct free kick outside the box is given, so if I tackle u outside the box why should u get a penalty because you landed inside the box???? If I pull your jersey going into the edge of the box and you continue on into the box with me holding your jersey and you then turn and go back outside the box what would it be - a penalty or a free kick? Referees differ and we shiver and get booked if we dissent.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,” Dr. Who

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaclue View Post
    An attacking player was fouled just outside the penalty area but the offending players momentum took both himself and the fouled attacker into the penalty area by a couple of feet. The ref gave a penalty and yellow carded the defender. When questioned the ref said that as the offence continued into the box he deemed it a penalty. I thought that was only the case where a defender was illegally holding an opponent, and not for a sliding tackle. What do you think?
    Hi, Notaclue.......It depends on what you mean by fouled really........from your description I'm taking it that the attacker was kicked, tripped or seen that the defender and attacker both landed inside the PA maybe the attacker was pushed or tripped by the chasing defender. However you are correct, if the foul was committed out side the PA, regardless of where the player lands it's a free kick. But it must also be pointed out that it was an offence that begun outside the PA and continued inside the PA then it's a penalty. The easiest example to explain this type of offence is the holding offence, wher the offence starts outside and the players end up inside with the defender still holding. Hope this helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Round Tower View Post
    What did u think about Nani's goal against Spurs taking that the Ref did not see his handball.
    I was in the middle of answering this when I received an email with a link to the following:

Jeff Petit Ex Premiership Assistant Referee explains Nani's GOAL!
    In the late match at Old Trafford on Saturday (MUFC versus THFC) one of those incidents occurred.
    If you haven’t seen it let me explain in simple terms what happened.
    The Manchester United player Nani was heading into Tottenham’s penalty area with Kaboul of Spurs in close attendance. There was a penalty shout as Nani went down in the 6 yard box to the side of the Tottenham goal.
    The referee – Mark Clattenburg – indicated no foul and then Nani put his hand on the ball in a show of stupidity. Gomes the Tottenham goalkeeper picked the ball up to kick it up field, at this point Mark was happy to allow play to continue.
    It is more advantageous for the offended team to have the ball in the goalkeeper’s hands than have a free kick in the goal area, isn’t it?
    Now Mark’s world would be a rosier place right now if Gomes hadn’t decided to have a go at Nani. It would appear that because Gomes had a go at Nani he forgot that no whistle had been blown so some 10 yards up the field he put the ball down for a free kick and then realised he couldn’t pick the ball up again!
    This is where the fun started!
    Footballers being fine upstanding members of the Integrity Guild Nani decided to take advantage of Gomes lapse of concentration and put the ball into the goal.
    In round terms John all hell breaks loose and Mark’s watch seems like its stopped! We’ve all been there.
    Subsequently Harry thinks Mark’s got it totally wrong because its deliberate handball and that must be a caution. Bless him.
    Kevin Keegan on the telecast actually says Mark has done everything correct but surely Mark could have applied common sense and disallowed the goal. Bless him.
    Knowing Mark I’m confident that he would have loved to help Gomes out but he had to ask the question: “what happens if I disallow the goal on a “common sense ruling” and then Tottenham go up the other end and equalise?”
    If a similar incident happens to you I would suggest that the only thing you could do different to Mark is make a big play-on signal so that everyone knows what you’re about.
    If you’re like me you’ll also be saying Thank God that happened to Mark and not to me and you’ll be learning from his experience.
    Sometimes being a referee is a tough job.
    But if we wanted it to be easy we’d have opted to be an armchair critic who can sit in front of the television and spout off knowing that he’ll never put his head above the parapet.
    Whilst Mark will be dejected about how the game ended yesterday he’s got to dust himself off and get back out there with his shoulders back and his head held high. That’s my message to every referee who has had a setback.
    Like you he wants his games to go well without incidents such as yesterdays.
    Incidentally, I see that MOTD were on Clatt’s side stating that schoolboy mantra “Play to the whistle.”
    Last edited by Referee09; 03/11/2010 at 2:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The atacking player was fouled just outside the PA but the foul tackle by a sliding tackle continued into the PA. The attacker tried to stay on his feet as long as possible and did not try to get an unfair advantage. But the question remains was it a penalty or not?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey there, looking to clear something up. I played a very tight game of football today against our league rival. The thing is there was a league of Ireland ref playing centre of the park for the opposition. The ref, reffing our game knew him and basically listened fr his calls, his offside shouts were greeted with a whistle blow of offside and we should have had 2 peno's at least. We were through 4 times on goal when ref played them till their centre mid spoke up sayin it was offside, then our ref blew the whistle. My question to you is fairly simple, are league of Ireland refs allowed play in standard leagues of football or is it frowned upon?? I heard that they cannot take part in a match but want to get clarity on it.
    Last edited by Jayk69; 29/01/2011 at 5:08 PM. Reason: mistake

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, it shouldn't be an issue at all, he didn't change the course of the game playing wise so I have no issue with that but the concern I have is when we were clean through twice and he shouted housey and the ref listened to him. Not saying that it was a direct result of who he was but it may have had some say in the ref decision. You came away winners in the second half of the game but had it not been for a few decision, especially the 2 clear peno decisions when your number 6 clearly shouted get up when the ref had the whistle in his mouth. I wouldn't want to do anyone out of a game of ball ever but his influence did become clear on a few occassions during our match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk69 View Post
    I agree, it shouldn't be an issue at all, he didn't change the course of the game playing wise so I have no issue with that but the concern I have is when we were clean through twice and he shouted housey and the ref listened to him. Not saying that it was a direct result of who he was but it may have had some say in the ref decision. You came away winners in the second half of the game but had it not been for a few decision, especially the 2 clear peno decisions when your number 6 clearly shouted get up when the ref had the whistle in his mouth. I wouldn't want to do anyone out of a game of ball ever but his influence did become clear on a few occassions during our match.
    To the best of my knowledge, but don't quote me, all National League Referees are members of the Irish Soccer Referees Society and that referee would have to be a member of his local Referee Branch. If the team he is playing for plays in the league where he is a Branch member I cannot understand how other teams and the referees in that area are allowing this to go on. Again, as far as I'm aware once you become a member of the Referees Society you must cancel all affilliations with Clubs. You can't even coach a team never mind play for one!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I was at a match Saturday, the ref blew a player for calling "my ball" or "leave it". I thaught that law was done away with? Can you clarify it please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Draper View Post
    I was at a match Saturday, the ref blew a player for calling "my ball" or "leave it". I thaught that law was done away with? Can you clarify it please?

This is only an offence under "unsporting behaviour" if the player shouts "my ball" or "leave it" to distract or deceive an opponent. It is not an offence to shout this to your own player!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    It was on Yahoo and a video,Italian league play-off,in a penalty shoot out a player takes a penalty hammers it off the crossbar comes out the way,the keeper celabrates thinking they had won, the taker is lying on the ground distraught that he had cost his team a chance to win the game. But when the ball came out and hit the ground it bounced forwards and it ended up in the net. The referee allowed the penalty too stand,was it a corect decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Under the Laws of the Game a penalty kick — including a kick from the penalty mark to determine a winner — is completed only when the referee declares it so, and the referee should not declare the kick to be completed if there is any possibility that the ball is still in play. In other words: So long as the ball is in motion and contacting any combination of the ground, crossbar, goalposts, and goalkeeper, a goal can still be scored.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no it was not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    quick query , what is the offical referee's view on pitches
    what standard is required e,g holes in nets / pitch not properly lined no centre circle , no d at 18 yard box , when can referee refuse to play or when can opposition refuse to play.

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    what standard is required e,g holes in nets / pitch not properly lined no centre circle , no d at 18 yard box , when can referee refuse to play or when can opposition refuse to play.
    I think a ref would know better - but as far as I know the opposition has no say in the matter it is up to the referee to decide if a game goes ahead - never the opposition
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Innishvilla View Post
    I think a ref would know better - but as far as I know the opposition has no say in the matter it is up to the referee to decide if a game goes ahead - never the opposition
    but what if opposition have concerns on pitch surely they are entitled to ask / point these out to referee and let him then make the decision

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    common sense would prevail and it would depend on a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Innishvilla View Post
    of course they would have a say but not in the decesion

but what if opposition have concerns on pitch surely they are entitled to ask / point these out to referee and let him then make the decision
    yep and the ref can make a decision. again common sense would prevail.

no ref is going to play with shockin nets or dangerous goalposts etc. imo.

friendlies may be different in regards to lines or corner flags or something but safety woulld and should not be compromised in any shape or form regardless of match stature.

as i sais it woul depend on your complaint.
    there no such thing as a bad pint.there are ony pints and better pints.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast