Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    I'm not sure the officials spotted it.
    What if they did and were just playing advantage?

I know they didn't spot it like!
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    What if they did and were just playing advantage?

I know they didn't spot it like!

Well if they were playing advantage the ref would have gone and red or at least yellow carded him after the goal.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 15/02/2009 at 7:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Could you qoute me the rule about referees and permission to let people enter the field of play??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daz22 View Post
    Could you qoute me the rule about referees and permission to let people enter the field of play??
    In what context,

Is it a player, substitution, physio, manager, spectator?
    Smile........ it confuses people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    In what context,

Is it a player, substitution, physio, manager, spectator?

Manager and a person who is an coach who not on the card

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I had a game during the week and at one point a shot was taken from outside the box, our keep wasn't too confident about catching it so he palmed it down infront of him, it bounced once and then he caught it. I taught this was alright but the ref blew up and gave an indirect freekick to them, and said he couldn't do that. Was he right?? Is there a rule on that??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligo23 View Post
    I had a game during the week and at one point a shot was taken from outside the box, our keep wasn't too confident about catching it so he palmed it down infront of him, it bounced once and then he caught it. I taught this was alright but the ref blew up and gave an indirect freekick to them, and said he couldn't do that. Was he right?? Is there a rule on that??
    No.....i'd say that referee was on the take!
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any League of Irelands Referees on here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im doing a thesis on referees on whether they contribute to home advantage. I need referee assessor sheets from league of Ireland games to measure it for my study? no manes used in study , everything is strictly confidential. please help if can????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    No.....i'd say that referee was on the take!
    I was thinking that meself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daz22 View Post
    Manager and a person who is an coach who not on the card
    Manager and coach must stay in the technical area (as if in Junior football)

In the interpertation of the Laws of the Game it provides:

Team officials
    If a team official enters the field of play:
    • the referee must stop play (although not immediately if the team official does not interfere with play or if the advantage can be applied)
    • the referee must have him removed from the field of play and if his behaviour is irresponsible, the referee must expel him from the field of play and its immediate surroundings
    • if the referee stops the match, he must restart play with a dropped ball in the position where the ball was at the time when the match was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play was stopped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Back in 1992/3 season when this Law was changed this caused a lot of problems. I remember the referees seminar when John Scanlon explained this rule that he spent over an hour dealing with it. A number of Referee Society branch meeting were taken up arguing about it.

Law 12 provides:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession
    touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his possession and before it has touched another player
    • touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
    • touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

If the referee deemed that the goalkeeper released the ball from his possession when he palmed it down i.e. the goalkeeper could have held and was palming it down to waste time, then theoretically a free kick could be given. In practice, from the way you explain it, I wouldn't have given it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Back in 1992/3 season when this Law was changed this caused a lot of problems. I remember the referees seminar when John Scanlon explained this rule that he spent over an hour dealing with it. A number of Referee Society branch meeting were taken up arguing about it.

Law 12 provides:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession
    touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his possession and before it has touched another player
    • touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
    • touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

If the referee deemed that the goalkeeper released the ball from his possession when he palmed it down i.e. the goalkeeper could have held and was palming it down to waste time, then theoretically a free kick could be given. In practice, from the way you explain it, I wouldn't have given it.
    If as Sligo23 says he "palmed" the ball down, does that not imply that the keeper has 1. controlled the ball, 2. directed it to where he has control and 3. taken the ball back into his control before touching another player? This as opposed to the GK being allowed to bounce the ball from his hands so long as he releases the ball within the 6 second rule!
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,” Dr. Who

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    What are your toughts on the two CL semi-finals Ref??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The CL refs

What are your toughts on the two CL semi-finals Ref??
    The first ref had a good game. Last night the ref was harsh in the sending off because the Chelsea player tripped over his own feet. Replayed it a number of times and the defender did clip his heel, the attacker moved one step forward and then you can see his right foot connect with his left and down he goes. There was a defender coming from the left who could have intercepted and that makes it a hairline decision for the ref. Both claims for handball were invalid as the law is hand to ball not ball to hand and always the intention has to be taken into account. That's my opinion on the 2 refs. As for Chelsea, they did not play there own usual game and always seemed uncomfortable, fair play to Barca they had what Chelsea lacked - determination to win.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,” Dr. Who

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if a match is fixed for 7pm a team is late due to traffic.
    arrives 6.45 on the pitch 7pm is the team entitled to warm up in the interest of the welfare of the players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    arrives 6.45 on the pitch 7pm is the team entitled to warm up in the interest of the welfare of the players?
    In Clare they don't allow any late start, referee can pick up the ball and walk away. It has happened to us on a couple of occasions when teams were late arriving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    if a match is fixed for 7.00pm then that is the starting time, the rest is down to the referees discression.
    Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lads just wondering can we be forced to play a cup final in the oppositions home ground. we are in 2 cup finals and agreed to play in said venue if we could play the 2 games there but as this was not accommodated we said we want it neutral, can we be forced to play in their home?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yellow Cards???

Lads if a player has picked up 2 yellow cards in previous games and ends up getting sent off for two yellow cards in the next game, is this now counted as 4 yellow cards for the season and does he then go back to scratch. And therefore if he is suspended for the sending off should he serve a further game for 4 yellow cards, or does he only get credited for 1 yellow as a result of the dismissal .These circumstances would refer to the Mayo League rules, in case you were wondering.
    Last edited by murphs jewels; 31/05/2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: repeat question

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re q's from CelticLad & Murphs_Jewels

Hiya lads,

Unfortunately, both of your questions relate to league rules, rather than the Laws of the Game. Neither situation is something the referees have any control over or can get involved in.

In the case of the cup game, while we would all say that this situation is not ideal, the administrators may be well within their rights. Request a copy of the rules pertaining to this cup competition from your league secretary (or from the FAI if it is a national cup).

In the case of the yellow cards, the referees just give them & then report it. What happens after that in Disciplinary Committees etc does not involve us. Again, get a copy of the league rules from your secretary.

In both cases, if your leagues have websites, the rules may be available for download there.

HTH!
    GiB

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast