Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goal kick on a tee

Hi Playful Panther,

There is nothing specific in the Laws of the Game regarding this. If it were to be mentioned specifically, i would imagine it would be included in Law 16: The Goal Kick. But it is not, so we therefore have to infer the answer from the rest of the laws.

In my opinion the answer lies in Law 4: The Player's Equipment. Here it states: A player may use equipment other than the basic equipment (footwear, shinguards, socks, jerseys with sleeves and shorts) provided that its sole purpose is to protect him physically and it poses no danger to him or any other player.

This law allows people to wear, for example, a knee strapping for their protection, but prohibits them from using extra equipment for example jewellery.

So, the way i would deal with this is the same way i would deal with a player wearing jewellery. Warn him first that it is not allowed & he must correct his equipment. If he continues to use it, i would caution him for Unsporting Behaviour.

I can't imagine any kind of injury a GK would have that would be protected by using a tee... In my opinion, it is an unfair advantage over the other GK & usually, if they are injured they just let a team-mate take their Goal Kicks.

I would be interested to hear the other referee's opinions on this. Since it is not dealt with specifically in the Laws, there may be some differing opinions on it & open discussion is the best way to ensure some consistency. But the above is how i would deal with it in one of my matches.

Hope this helps,
    Girl in Black!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Much obliged girl in black!! Yeah it does seem to be a bit of an unfair advantage. If using it for a goalkick then why not a free kick on the edge of the box!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Exactly. If we were to start to allow them for goal kicks, we would not be able to disallow them for other restarts... And if you are allowing it, how do you control it? Like, what constitutes a tee? How big can it be in terms of height, width... Can it be used at any 'dead ball' situation (corners etc etc). The problems could be endless.

Until it is legislated for in the Laws of the Game, i would not allow it's use. The only law that i can see that backs us up in this though is Law 4: The Player's Equipment and so i would be interested to hear from the other referees about it... This will be an interesting discussion at some ref's meetings if some of us are allowing their use!!!

Good luck for the rest of your season!
    GirlInBlack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Offside question

all attacking players onside,
    one attacker gets breaks with the ball at his feet,
    second player runs with him,
    both players run from onside position,

defenders cant catch up so both attackers between last defender and goal keeper, keeper rushes out to block player with the ball, player with the ball passes the ball to he team mate who was to his left and and yard behind the attacker with the ball. is the second attacker who received the ball on or offside?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post

defenders cant catch up so both attackers between last defender and goal keeper, keeper rushes out to block player with the ball, player with the ball passes the ball to he team mate who was to his left and and yard behind the attacker with the ball. is the second attacker who received the ball on or offside?
    Onside
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    If you're behind the ball, you can't be offside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If you're behind the ball, you can't be offside.
    It's just that it has happened a couple of times this season, under 11 gane against stella maris, exactly as described above and ref blows for offside, maybe some refs dont understand offside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post

From the example you have given, the player is onside.

Reason - To be in an offside position, you must fulfill two conditions:

1) Be closer to your oponents goal-line than the second last opponent

and

2) Be closer the opponents goal-line than the ball.

In simple english, if there are two opponents between you and the goal-line - you are onside and if you are behind the ball you are onside.

Remember the opposition goalkeeper is an opponent.

Schoolboy football is a place where a lot of referees cut their teeth, so to speak, mistakes do happen (I've made my fair share) and we all learn from them. Also angles can be deciving, maybe the referee had a better view and made his/her decision based on what they saw?

Hope this dosen't confuse you more

The Ref
    Smile........ it confuses people

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quick one from the Bray-UCD game at the weekend - can a free kick be given for dissent? If so, is it direct or indirect?

If a keeper accidentally walks out of his area with the ball in his hand, is it a red or yellow (or neither)? Is the free kick there direct or indirect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quick one from the Bray-UCD game at the weekend - can a free kick be given for dissent? If so, is it direct or indirect?
    Yes a free kick can be given for dissent, it is an indirect free kick as Law 12 states:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:
    commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player.

Dissent is a cautionable offence

If a keeper accidentally walks out of his area with the ball in his hand, is it a red or yellow (or neither)? Is the free kick there direct or indirect?
    No card need be shown, and the free kick is direct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Yes a free kick can be given for dissent, it is an indirect free kick as Law 12 states:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:
    commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player.

Dissent is a cautionable offence

No card need be shown, and the free kick is direct.
    Just curious i agree with most and have referee seminar in couple of weeks. so if this question comes up i need to know why is it a direct free kick? it was accidental hand ball not intentional thought this would make the free kick in direct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    Just curious i agree with most and have referee seminar in couple of weeks. so if this question comes up i need to know why is it a direct free kick? it was accidental hand ball not intentional thought this would make the free kick in direct
    Law 12 provides that when a player deliberately handles the ball it's a direct free kick. The fact the goalkeeper was unaware of his position on the field of play is irrelevant, the fact that the goalkeeper had the ball in hand when he left the penalty area is the offence (the ball in hand is deliberate the leaving the area is accidential).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Law 12 provides that when a player deliberately handles the ball it's a direct free kick. The fact the goalkeeper was unaware of his position on the field of play is irrelevant, the fact that the goalkeeper had the ball in hand when he left the penalty area is the offence (the ball in hand is deliberate the leaving the area is accidential).
    oh just wondering i would have given indirect as he had no intention of deliberating handling the ball outside the aera. now i know, i will know what to do bit harsh punishment for that offence though.

Thanks the ref

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would you believe i was sent off for this in a MYC semi-final a few years ago, well i got a second yellow, thought at the time and since it was poor refereeing !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask me tom View Post
    Would you believe i was sent off for this in a MYC semi-final a few years ago, well i got a second yellow, thought at the time and since it was poor refereeing !
    Thats harsh but if what The Ref says that Rule 12 that you have deliberately handle the ball outside the box , so this is the grey aera , The REF you state rule 12 then if someone handles the ball deliberately then its a bookable offence so why to you waive the rule 12 and dont book the person. unless you say its not deliberate handball which then means its a indirect free kick . Can you not see my confusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    Thats harsh but if what The Ref says that Rule 12 that you have deliberately handle the ball outside the box , so this is the grey aera , The REF you state rule 12 then if someone handles the ball deliberately then its a bookable offence so why to you waive the rule 12 and dont book the person. unless you say its not deliberate handball which then means its a indirect free kick . Can you not see my confusion
    A hand ball is not a cautionable offence, Unsporting Behaviour is the offence, only if a player deliberately handles the ball to stop an opponent gaining possession should the player be cautioned. (Guide to referees at the back of the law book refers)

This was not the case.

Handball is a direct free kick always. You should speak to your assessor if you have concerns regarding what are direct and indirect free kicks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A hand ball is not a cautionable offence, Unsporting Behaviour is the offence, only if a player deliberately handles the ball to stop an opponent gaining possession should the player be cautioned. (Guide to referees at the back of the law book refers)

This was not the case.

Handball is a direct free kick always. You should speak to your assessor if you have concerns regarding what are direct and indirect free kicks.
    Ok i agree but the guide actually says a deliberate handball NORMALLY is a direct free kick not ALWAYS different interpretation can be used there...

here i am not trying to argue but point out we are given the rules but there is so many grey aera's in it.. take one look at the offside rule just to see that.. and its for ourselves to interpret it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Perfect thread to bring up the Mascherano incident at the weekend...

I have no quarrel with his booking for persistent dissent... I think that dissent and bad language is a very serious issue in soccer from grassroots up to senior level.

I think Chelsea's antics last week were contributory to the sending off over the weekend, I would just like to see some element of consistency brought in... I know Mascherano was persistent for his time on the pitch, but there were at least 5 other incidents in the game where players screamed abuse at the referee where no action was taken...

I suppose I'm just wondering what The Ref thinks about it. Any solution he would suggest... What does he think of this idea of only the captain being allowed talk to ref?

It is a tough one, I know people will compare with rugby and it is true the ref gets so much more respect. BUT in rugby a penalty/conceding 3 points or 50 yards in territory is a good way of quieting a player without changing the whole match, very hard to do something similar in soccer...
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Question: Can a player1 leave the field of play on his own accord, stand in the opps half(still on sidelines), defender plays ball into that half.
    Player1 then runs back onto the pitch collects ball, has one-on-one with keeper and scores.
    Can player1 be offside even if he is not on the pitch when ball played? or
    Does ref have to wave him back on(left of own accord no inj etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman-tapa View Post
    Question: Can a player1 leave the field of play on his own accord, stand in the opps half(still on sidelines), defender plays ball into that half.
    Player1 then runs back onto the pitch collects ball, has one-on-one with keeper and scores.
    Can player1 be offside even if he is not on the pitch when ball played? or
    Does ref have to wave him back on(left of own accord no inj etc)
    Going to try this one before The Ref but probably be wrong and wil be corrected,

Question 1- A player cannot leave and enter the FOP without the referee's permission if A player does it is a Cautionable offence depending on circumstances and would be an indirect free kick to oppposition from where the player entered the field.

Question 2- Same rule he or she cannot leave and enter the field without the referee's permission, so the offside rule is not an issue as the player is off the field, out of the play and is not active but if he or she was to enter the field it would be an indirect free kick from the place the player entered the field and a caution may be given for unsporting behaviour.

I'm positive this is correct but The Ref will clarify im sure

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast