Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NI support

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

NI support

The last time I saw NI away supporters close up was here in Iceland a few years ago. Then there were a few hundred union jack clad gstq billy boys, looked even more farcical in a foreign context.
    Yesterday at the Finland game, the camera caught the away support many times, they looked kinda normal healthy football supporters.The change is phenonomal. Is this for real?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The last time I saw NI away supporters close up was here in Iceland a few years ago. Then there were a few hundred union jack clad gstq billy boys, looked even more farcical in a foreign context.
    Yesterday at the Finland game, the camera caught the away support many times, they looked kinda normal healthy football supporters.The change is phenonomal. Is this for real?
    So you judged them by looks and ridicule them for having the flag of their country and singing their national anthem?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So you judged them by looks and ridicule them for having the flag of their country and singing their national anthem?
    A tad defensive?
    I made observations and formed an opinion. As an Ulsterborn lad I didn't feel that comfortable that I could share my "ulsterness" with that bunch singing about the billy boys. It's just the natural instinct for self preservation pushes me well away, maybee if I had met a few more open minded chaps like yourself I would have absolutely no problem
    Why the complete transformation then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do Northern Ireland play under the Union Jack as their official flag for International games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic View Post
    Do Northern Ireland play under the Union Jack as their official flag for International games?
    I honestly do not know but would imagine so as it is the ONLY official flag of the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A tad defensive?
    I made observations and formed an opinion. As an Ulsterborn lad I didn't feel that comfortable that I could share my "ulsterness" with that bunch singing about the billy boys. It's just the natural instinct for self preservation pushes me well away, maybee if I had met a few more open minded chaps like yourself I would have absolutely no problem
    Why the complete transformation then?
    By all means criticise people for singing the billy boys, indeed I would join you, but your other criticisms are unfair as there is nothing wrong there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    By all means criticise people for singing the billy boys, indeed I would join you, but your other criticisms are unfair as there is nothing wrong there.
    Where do uncover the critical angle?
    It's one observation, one not three. Union jack clad, gstq billy boys. What's unfair about that? You are seperating elements.
    Anyway, where have all these elements gone with the NI away support, the unionjack clad, singing verses about gstq and the billyboys?
    I didn't see one uj at the Finnish game compared to flag orgy in Iceland.
    Am I not supposed to notice this phenonomal change in NI away support?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    My memory of World Cup 1986 saw them use this flag

I couldn't say what the situation is now
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    My memory of World Cup 1986 saw them use this flag

I couldn't say what the situation is now
    As far as I am aware that has not been an official flag since the Northern Ireland parliament was dissolved in the early 70's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Where do uncover the critical angle?
    You stated in looked farcical. What is farcical about waving the flag of your country and singing your national anthem at an international match? If you were just referring to the singing of the Billy Boys then surely that is all you should mention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    As far as I am aware that has not been an official flag since the Northern Ireland parliament was dissolved in the early 70's.
    You're right. Iwas just pointed out that you have used it since then. And it is my only memory of any flag being used for NI
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    You stated in looked farcical. What is farcical about waving the flag of your country and singing your national anthem at an international match? If you were just referring to the singing of the Billy Boys then surely that is all you should mention.
    Because if the Northern Irish football team/fans ever want to gain the support of both sides of the community in the province then,..... ohhh - forget it..... !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I honestly do not know but would imagine so as it is the ONLY official flag of the country.
    Well David at each competitive Interantional the 2 teams flags ares flown along with either/or maybe both Uefa and Fifa.

So surely you've seen which flag your national team use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well David at each competitive Interantional the 2 teams flags ares flown along with either/or maybe both Uefa and Fifa.

So surely you've seen which flag your national team use.

Haven't been in a couple of years due to problems getting tickets and to totally honest when I go to a game I do not look for what flags are being flown.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If I refer to bover booted skinhead racists being farcical in a foreign context doesn't mean I am making a hair/shoe fashion statement. Obviously the threat is the racism. Is there some avoidance about the question? Where have they all gone? Was there a collective unconcious decision to forgo this apparel and overt bigotry? did they run out of money? were they regarded as persona not grata inside the NI football supporters club?
    Were they photographed and banned? Did they just simply not turn up anymore?
    How did it happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Because if the Northern Irish football team/fans ever want to gain the support of both sides of the community in the province then,..... ohhh - forget it..... !!
    So will ROI fans refrain from flying the tricolour and singing the Soldiers Song?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I refer to bover booted skinhead racists being farcical in a foreign context doesn't mean I am making a hair/shoe fashion statement. Obviously the threat is the racism. Is there some avoidance about the question? Where have they all gone? Was there a collective unconcious decision to forgo this apparel and overt bigotry? did they run out of money? were they regarded as persona not grata inside the NI football supporters club?
    Were they photographed and banned? Did they just simply not turn up anymore?
    How did it happen?
    The only overt bigotry is the singing of the Billy Boys, nothing else biggoted in what you mention. As for your question, there was a major campaign amongst NI fans to deal with this which has been very successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    So will ROI fans refrain from flying the tricolour and singing the Soldiers Song?
    Firstly - the Republic is not a divided society with a recent history of violent inter-communla strife. Hence there is less of a need to be cautious about the baance of messages that official organisations send out.

Secondly - even if it was, I'm not aware of the Irish flag or anthem causing offence to particular sections of the Republic's population : including protestants. In fact - I'm not even aware of either causing grave offence to the protestant population from the north who come to watch/play in Ireland rugby internationals. But that's a whole different story. If only because the southern-based rugby has made stpe to neutralise its messages through 'Ireland's Call'.

You know full well that your retort is spurious David. Unless your happy to have it reversed and say that the views of the people in the South have validity over the actions of both communities in the north ? I'm sure that route could end up with Irish langauge signs on Ballymena Main Street, if you were happy to play those sort of games...

Nice try...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The only overt bigotry is the singing of the Billy Boys, nothing else biggoted in what you mention. As for your question, there was a major campaign amongst NI fans to deal with this which has been very successful.
    If you're happy with the IFA and the Norn Irish fans branding themselves with the symbols, totems and identity of only one side within a deeply divided society, then so be it.

But don't come complaining when members of the other side don't support the team, opt to play for another team, oppose large chunks of public money beign spent for the NI team/facilities etc etc. You can't have it both ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    If you're happy with the IFA and the Norn Irish fans branding themselves with the symbols, totems and identity of only one side within a deeply divided society, then so be it.

But don't come complaining when members of the other side don't support the team, opt to play for another team, oppose large chunks of public money beign spent for the NI team/facilities etc etc. You can't have it both ways.
    The OFFICIAL flag of Northern Ireland is the Union Flag and the OFFICIAL national anthem is GSTQ. Now if people take offence at either of these then I suggest it is they who have the problem.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast