Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Premiershi* Coverage Newstalk106

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Premiershi* Coverage Newstalk106

Have any of you heard some of the adverts on Newstalk 106 promoting their coverage of the English Premiershi* season which starts next week?

Well on some of the adverts the background music is a song called " It's a Shame". Strangely appropriate song , which in it's perverse way depicts the pathetic attitude of the majority of people certainly in this city who slavishly follow foreign football at the expense of the domestic game.

Sadly this is becoming a trend in other countries as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    newstalk sucks... they are eating humble pie now because they got it utterly wrong about the Eircom League and slated it for months on end when it was clearly on an upward spirl. What a complete bunch of idiots on that show. Not a brain cell between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Promoting coverage of the Premiership on Newstalk??

Boy, won't their faces be red when no ones interested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Due to the hours I work, I usually only get to listen to the late night repeats, but I seem to remember they often gave positive mention to the Eircom League. Has this totally stopped? Regarding current affairs, I actually think this is an excellent radio station. I hope "market forces" haven't moved them away from the domestic game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sadly their much vaunted Eircom League Hour( frequently a lot less lately) on Thursday nights and on the Saturday sports show in the afternoon , are always the first ones cut when there are GAAAAAAAA games on; or some stupid Premiershi* transfer rumour to talk about .

And having Roddy "knocker" Collins on is not a positive step. He is very negative. This is the man who said , in his Sunday newspaper column, that no Irish team would advance in the UEFA Cup after Derry drew Gretna, and Drogheda got IK Start. Well Roddy you got that one wrong big time. Daniel McDonnell is very positive about the League but he is often shouted down by "Knocker".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don't agree. Newstalk have every right to promote their broadcasting of any football they want.

The got fecked around by RTE and the FAI when they broadcast eircom League games because RTE claimed the radio rights. Even when newstalk looked for some way around it (i.e Dublin radio rights) they were told no.

The good thing that came out of was that RTE were told that unless they started broadcasting matches they'd lose their radio rights and as a result we have Friday sportsnight.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Why is a thread about the English Premiership posted in eL General ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    As charliesboots said newstalk did give the league great coverage but RTE blocked them from doing live games, they've no paid for the rights to the EPL and good luck to them. I won't be listening but I'm sure they won't mind

Bray Unknowns; stop nit picking, its a general debate on radio coverage.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Have to agree with Dodge and Charlies's Boots. Broadcasting and sports rights are way, way more complicated than most people on here assume. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

The constant slagging of RTÉ and now Newstalk is based on prejudice and not one iota of fact. Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    As charliesboots said newstalk did give the league great coverage but RTE blocked them from doing live games, they've no paid for the rights to the EPL and good luck to them. I won't be listening but I'm sure they won't mind

Bray Unknowns; stop nit picking, its a general debate on radio coverage.

Yeah about the EPL ! It doesn;t belong here IMO

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Have to agree with Dodge and Charlies's Boots. Broadcasting and sports rights are way, way more complicated than most people on here assume. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

The constant slagging of RTÉ and now Newstalk is based on prejudice and not one iota of fact. Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens.

KOH
    Well christ on a bike if rtengland ever actually get the scores right or even announce European results on their news bulletins I'll buy you a pint

In fact if they get rid of canning doing live commentary I'll throw in a mars bar!!

Who the hell listens to radio anyway?!!

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heh, "The Premiership" - good name for a league-based competition that. I can see why Newstalk would be interested...
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Newstalk are entitled to do whatever they like however i agree that their eL & other sports coverage has disimproved.

They used to have 1 hour dedicated eL hour but now its 10 minutes at most & Roddy just used as an entertaining clown.

IMO Premiership commentary shows how Newstalk have got lazy. Fair enought o cover big games that people have interest but they also cover Monday night or midweek games like Charlton v Fulham which no one has any interest in.

I do not expect Newstalks sports coverage to improve when they go national as will be wall to wall GAA.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Well christ on a bike if rtengland ever actually get the scores right or even announce European results on their news bulletins I'll buy you a pint
    For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the use of the word Shams I have one question - WTF is RTEngland?

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens.
    Wait, are you responsible for RTE's coverage WaR? From an e-mail reply sent to Joema by Setanta it seems, they have big plans for next season too. Should be interesting
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to admit, there's a lot to admire about Newstalk in terms of programme quality, mostly outside its unimaginatively GAA and EPL-driven sports offerings.
    But Newstalk's take on English, Spanish and Italian football is simply hilarious. Their oh-so-smug pundits speak with such certainty and authority about the lofty heights of these countries' leagues that it should be packaged and played back in the top clubs' dressing rooms. Top coaches are categorised as has-beens, if they're having a blip/run of out zillions to buy players, or geniuses if they go on a bit of a run. All topped off with 'Oh yeah, and Cork are playing Derry City tonight.'
    It's a bit like the Skibereen Eagle keeping an eye on the Kaizer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Wait, are you responsible for RTE's coverage WaR? From an e-mail reply sent to Joema by Setanta it seems, they have big plans for next season too. Should be interesting
    Jaysus Dodge, me "responsible" for anything? No chance, the word I would use is "informed" and yes the plans are big and should satisfy most eL fans, with the obvious exception of NY Hoop of course.

Boh Diddley - to be fair to Newstalk, their coverage of European football is excellent. If you don't rate Graham Hunter, Sid Lowe, et al then you should stick to Cathal Dervan and Roddy Collins in the Star Sunday for your punditry.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    JBoh Diddley - to be fair to Newstalk, their coverage of European football is excellent. If you don't rate Graham Hunter, Sid Lowe, et al then you should stick to Cathal Dervan and Roddy Collins in the Star Sunday for your punditry.
    They're buy-ins, and I wasn't aiming my comments at them. TBH, I usually turn it off, as it's not as if there's a famine of EPL/European coverage out there.
    In fairness, I also like listening to J. Giles if I happen to tune in.
    I'm more thinking of the anchor, whether Gilroy or the new feller, and that Irish guy with the supercilious tone that makes him sound like he's considering what Seria A team he should buy next.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    that would one ken earley.
    self-styled guru of european football and all round knob jockey
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the use of the word Shams I have one question - WTF is RTEngland?

KOH
    For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the "establishment media", you seem to know a lot about it
    Champions.
    16 leagues & 24 cups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast