Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Back with a bang

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back with a bang

Am I the only one who thought the UCD match was poor? 3-2 sounds like a great game, but there was alot of hoofing. City had alot less time on the ball than against shels, and resorted to hoofing it. Obviously the ref had alot to do with it, and the fact that UCD had that giant Clive Delaney (??i think??) playing up front towards the end.

Warren was terrible on the right midfield, an absolute spectator for the whole game. Should have been the one taken off after 30mins

Gunther was dieing to bring on Woodsie. I thought City's football went downhill when Colin and Mucka were taken off. Having Benno and Renno in midfield is a very hoof-minded option.

O Flynn looked superb up front again. I had a great view for the 3rd goal. Him and O Callaghan definitely should have more ball to feet. Especially against the other giant that UCD had in defence.

I'm still not convinced about Alan Carey. OK going forward, but was made to look very ordinary when defending.

Overall a big step backwards from the previous game, but we still won it somehow.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya I dont think that it was the best performance either and City should DEFFINITLY play the ball on the ground more (we ripped Monaghan appart with it last year at the end, but made it dificult for us in the first game against them by hoofing).

I dont know what to think about Warren, it has only been 2 games after all. Am I right in saying that he is a striker & George is a right winger? It would be hard for the manager to swap the 2 of them as George seems to link up well with O'Flynn (G O'C nearly scored after about 10 min after a move that was almost a carbon copy of his one against Shels). I really cant see Gunther swapping them, but I think that G O'C should be tried out on the right as neither Mucky or Warren seem good enough. We could always put CPOB up fornt if Warren doesnt work out there.

Im still amazed that Dolan didnt play, I dont think that he was injured or suspended and he is such a talisman to UCD, Im totally miffed about it (but not complaining).

We can take some comfort though that the defence looks a bit better than last year, we have atleast 1 good striker, O'Grady & O'Halogan still have to come back, Billy IS back & we got a slice of luck or 2 which hasnt happened in a while
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Troy.McClure

Im still amazed that Dolan didnt play, I dont think that he was injured or suspended and he is such a talisman to UCD, Im totally miffed about it (but not complaining).

Dolan playing for UCD? Com'on that would be just wrong, think of all the registration problems

NO, seriously I was amazed too that Doolin didn't play himself, they really missed him and he is still a class act. I suppose he doesn't want to be seen to be stoping young fellas getting their games but still surely him playing for 45/60 minutes would have been the clever thing for them to do, ah well I wont complain
    Oh no not them again

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Back with a bang

Originally posted by Ali-G

Gunther was dieing to bring on Woodsie. I thought City's football went downhill when Colin and Mucka were taken off. Having Benno and Renno in midfield is a very hoof-minded option.

do all the names have to end in O, A or Y sounding vowels

you are right about the hoofing it was overdone and there was no need for it. after all thses guys are well able to play football on the deck. perhaps someone should tell the manager

at times you could see many fairweather fans trying to stifle the yawns.

it was a poor game and showed a lot of our problems. as for warren he is a good player but like all players play the ball to his feet. expecting to chase a fullback down or run for crazy 30 yard passes isn't on.

i really wonder if the football will be much different from last year in style if not results
    john flynn? - awesome!!!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why knock Hoofing

IMO there is nothing wrong with effective hoofing as displayed by Set Piece Ath.

I dont think the style of football in Cork brings out the crowds, like with Rico we played great stuff out in B'town but there were very few there. If you compare thatto Dave Barry days when we up the top of the league playing hoof we had big crowds.

If hoof ball brought us the league I wouldnt complain
    Oh no not them again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Re: Back with a bang

Originally posted by dalo
    at times you could see many fairweather fans trying to stifle the yawns.
    Yeah I suppose no remote to change channel or chance to go for refill at the bar

We been hoffin' like crazy since Gunther took over (actually DM just as bad) so there should be no surprise things ain't changing. Gunther may blame the players but he been there long enough to have the players he wants now.

Again i'm commenting without seeing the UCD game but unless G O'C brough back to centre midfield we will struggle for creativety there - return of O'Grady won't solve that problem either.

We been a team dependent of wingers for years now so i'd settle for 2 strong central midfielders who can win the ball & get it out wide.

Remember UCD been a serious bogey team for us in last few years so a win over them in any form is good + team haven't had competitive game for 2 weeks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    perhaps but hoof football won't win us the league as it won't bring the best out of the players most of whom are natural ballplayers (deccie and napier excepted of course)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that there will be a semi hoofball in Cork, ie the players from the back hoofing, the wingers + strikers playing football. As a combination, it stinks, but I think that it is the way it will be and as it will be the way, we need to sign a Jonny Glynn-esque player, he was such a loss to us

[SIZE=1]Please no-one take the urine out of me for saying that![/SIZE]

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that there will be a semi hoofball in Cork, ie the players from the back hoofing, the wingers + strikers playing football.
    [SIZE=1]Please no-one take the urine out of me for saying that![/SIZE]
    perhaps city (and troy) have created a new sport - hoofball. get the patent lawyers on it straight away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    perhaps city (and troy) have created a new sport - hoofball. get the patent lawyers on it straight away

I think Gunther already patented hoofball a few years ago

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Back with a bang

do all the names have to end in O, A or Y sounding vowels
    Emmm DALO, Pot........Kettle.........Black?

I reckon Greg could be the creative force we need in the centre- by all accounts he played well there at the end of last season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Back with a bang

Originally posted by Éanna

Emmm DALO, Pot........Kettle.........Black?

No really it's my name, honestly

(good one eanna

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Back with a bang

Originally posted by Éanna
    I reckon Greg could be the creative force we need in the centre- by all accounts he played well there at the end of last season.
    IMO it was O'Grady going forward with Greg sitting behind him and murdering anyone who passed him.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Back with a bang

IMO it was O'Grady going forward with Greg sitting behind him and murdering anyone who passed him.
    either way is good- once we have a good partnership there, and that seemed to be one.