Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linfield launch anti-sectarian "True Blue" campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Linfield launch anti-sectarian "True Blue" campaign

http://www.linfieldfc.com/trueblues.asp?tbid=1649

This has gone unoticed in here but I think this is a great initiative by Linfield. It's been backed strongly by David Jeffries. It's also getting a backing from various supporters clubs. Fair play to Linfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good stuff
    No Comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No dounting their good intentions but their mascot is still called Billy Blue...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No dounting their good intentions but their mascot is still called Billy Blue...
    A pernickety post as Billy is a rather common forename in Norn Iron!. As others have posted Linfield should be given credit for this initiative. It seems "they are damned if they do and damned if they don't!"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink William James

is my given name and sher me own dad is caled Billy down in the Irish midlands fair play and balls to those involved anything that fights this kind of stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleusAvantTout View Post
    A pernickety post as Billy is a rather common forename in Norn Iron!. As others have posted Linfield should be given credit for this initiative. It seems "they are damned if they do and damned if they don't!"
    Yeah and Sean is a common name too. We all know the connotations that the name Billy Blue brings up, and if Linfield are 100% serious, a simple gesture like renaming the mascot would help IMO.

And if you read my whole post you'll say there's no doubting Linfield's good intentions.
    ---

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

call him Billy the kid

agree totally and they should wear green too ever heard of baby steps
    baby steps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    best of luck...
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Fair play to them - if the name of their mascot ends up being the only thing that anyone can consider criticising them about, then it shows how far they've come.

I spent a very enjoyable afternoon in Windsor Park last season and I would go back again.
    Last edited by dcfc_1928; 09/08/2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Yeah and Sean is a common name too. We all know the connotations that the name Billy Blue brings up, and if Linfield are 100% serious, a simple gesture like renaming the mascot would help IMO.

And if you read my whole post you'll say there's no doubting Linfield's good intentions.
    Wise up.

Linfield are "100% serious". There is a long, hard road ahead.

Thank you to all posters who have offered their best wishes with this initiative.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, you really do need to catch yourself on. Billy is a common name all over the UK and Ireland. I honestly find it incredible that you can take issue with our mascot being called Billy. It really does go to prove that some people will use any excuse to have a go at Linfield, although this is admittedly taking that to a whole new level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I don't see Billy as a problem for a mascot, particularly if Linfield are attempting to remove any sectarian context he could exist in. I was someone who moaned at some of the chanting by Linfield in the Setanta last season live on TV. Some songs were a matter of opinion and some songs were unarguably sectarian. If Linfield at least intend to stamp out the unarguably sectarian songs then that's great progress. By even launching this campaign it is an admission by the club that there are problems and they have the courage to say it is not on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Seriously, you really do need to catch yourself on. Billy is a common name all over the UK and Ireland. I honestly find it incredible that you can take issue with our mascot being called Billy. It really does go to prove that some people will use any excuse to have a go at Linfield, although this is admittedly taking that to a whole new level.
    Relax FFS, I have no problem with Linfield and have been to several games in Windsor. I was just making the point that SOME people may have a problem with the name, Billy Blue.
    ---

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Seriously, you really do need to catch yourself on. Billy is a common name all over the UK and Ireland.
    While it may be a small point, there's no denying that Billy is a name with strong Protestant connotations - Liam is almost exclusively the Irish/Catholic version - and that a more neutral name could be chosen to back up the campaign. I can't think of any name which has such a divide between Catholic and Protestant usage, which is the opposite of what Linfield are trying to achieve. That's not to take away from Linfield's initiative, it's merely to correct your assertion that it's a meaningless point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair play to Linfield who have taken the initiative again. I commended them when they slammed their own supporters for sectarian chanting in the Setanta Cup game against Longford and I commend them again and wish them luck with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I don't see Billy as a problem for a mascot, particularly if Linfield are attempting to remove any sectarian context he could exist in. I was someone who moaned at some of the chanting by Linfield in the Setanta last season live on TV. Some songs were a matter of opinion and some songs were unarguably sectarian. If Linfield at least intend to stamp out the unarguably sectarian songs then that's great progress. By even launching this campaign it is an admission by the club that there are problems and they have the courage to say it is not on.
    We have never denied that we have a problem. This is the biggest campaign yet to deal with it though, with the players and management involved for the first time. Hopefully they will listen to the lads they are supposedly there to support.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I was just making the point that SOME people may have a problem with the name, Billy Blue.
    Jesus wept.

I think those type of people should worry more about their own inbuilt "problems", rather than the name given to a football team mascot.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    While it may be a small point, there's no denying that Billy is a name with strong Protestant connotations - Liam is almost exclusively the Irish/Catholic version - and that a more neutral name could be chosen to back up the campaign. I can't think of any name which has such a divide between Catholic and Protestant usage, which is the opposite of what Linfield are trying to achieve. That's not to take away from Linfield's initiative, it's merely to correct your assertion that it's a meaningless point.
    But Linfield are a club with strong Protestant connotations and that is nothing to be ashamed of so I see no wrong in having a mascot with a name that is seen to be Protestant. There is a difference in being proud of your background and culture and being sectarian. As long as nobody elses culture and/or religion is treated with disrespect then I see no problem and you can certainly not say that the name Billy is offensive to Catholics/Nationalists. there is a danger of being too politically correct just for the sake of it and if we do go in that direction then I have no doubt that this campaign will fail. As long as we get rid of sectarian stuff, and the name Billy is certainly not sectarian, then I for one will be very happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thumbs up

We have never denied that we have a problem.
    Never said you did, David. Just pointing out the positive aspect of the fact that the club are openly confronting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Relax FFS, I have no problem with Linfield and have been to several games in Windsor. I was just making the point that SOME people may have a problem with the name, Billy Blue.
    To be perfectly honest, if they have, stuff them. There is nothing sectarian in that and if people are offended by that then it is they who have the problem. If we change that name then they will only find something else to moan about, such as us playing in red white and blue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast