Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linfield launch anti-sectarian "True Blue" campaign

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

totally Westmeath has plenty of Billys who are Catholic my dad is one this is a load of toss in the real debate which was the initiative not the mascot , "yes but yes but yeerrrahhh !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Never said you did, David. Just pointing out the positive aspect of the fact that the club are openly confronting it.
    Sorry was not meant in an aggresive way, just pointing out that we have always realised this problem existed. The support is much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The support is much appreciated.
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Incidentally, anyone looking details of this can find them here:

http://www.linfieldfc.com/trueblues.asp?tbid=1649

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Splendid stuff from the Blues. I think DJ has been a great force in taking the game forward, I think he will be influential in dragging the Irish League up to a higher standard of ambition and attitude.

As for the Billy Blue thing - what the hell else would Linfield call their mascot? There's nothing sinister in the name, only whatever connotations you may add to it yourself.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    But Linfield are a club with strong Protestant connotations and that is nothing to be ashamed of so I see no wrong in having a mascot with a name that is seen to be Protestant. There is a difference in being proud of your background and culture and being sectarian.
    I'm not saying there is, I'm just pointing out that some people may take an issue (I've no reason to care myself obviously). You said elsewhere that if they do, "Stuff them". Fair enough - political correctness can certainly go too far in this era. But is it not a bit strange saying "stuff them" on the one hand and trying to build bridges/insert cliché here on the other?

It is a potential issue for some people. You can reduce the importance certainly, but can't just dismiss it away entirely. Not if you want the project to work.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But is it not a bit strange saying "stuff them" on the one hand and trying to build bridges/insert cliché here on the other?

It is a potential issue for some people. You can reduce the importance certainly, but can't just dismiss it away entirely. Not if you want the project to work.
    Take it as read that Linfield Football Club's mascot will remain called "Billy Blue".

How exactly will that hinder the project from working?

Do you understand the aims of the "True Blues" initiative?

As David says, if someone has an issue with the name "Billy", stuff them.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm not saying there is, I'm just pointing out that some people may take an issue (I've no reason to care myself obviously). You said elsewhere that if they do, "Stuff them". Fair enough - political correctness can certainly go too far in this era. But is it not a bit strange saying "stuff them" on the one hand and trying to build bridges/insert cliché here on the other?

If someone has an issue with our mascot being called Billy then the simple fact is that we are not going to please them as they are obviously looking for ways to be offended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Fair play to ye. I have great respect for Linfield and the attitude and manner in which the club is striving to progress. Best of luck with the campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would be interested to hear how the perception of Linfield has changed amongst Eircom League fans since the start of the Setanta Cup. I know it has not been problem free for us but I really do think that the image of the club and its supporters has improved immensley. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The point of this thread was to highlight the good work going on at linfield and instead there is a 2 page argument over the f*cking mascot,ffs?They can call him whatever they want.Fair play to linfield.
    No Comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One can only hope that fifty years from now people will talk about the "grim past" in their clubs history. While youngsters try to look cool in their paramilitary Ultras gear...(Well, it could happen eh?)

All credit to Linfield for the initiative..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    I would be interested to hear how the perception of Linfield has changed amongst Eircom League fans since the start of the Setanta Cup. I know it has not been problem free for us but I really do think that the image of the club and its supporters has improved immensley. Would be interested in your thoughts.

My opinion of Linfield has changed quite a bit since Setanta. Seems like a well run club with a passionate support that is doing it's best to stamp out sectarianism in the stands. Like other clubs most of the fans are genuine people who are into the football and enjoy going to the games. As we have seen in Dublin in recent weeks there is always a small element that are only interested in causing trouble and tarnishing the name of their club.

Have always wondered this and David maybe you know the answer. Do you think Linfield would have any Catholic fans and if so would they go to the games. I know it may sound like a strange question due to the strong political divide in the north but some people are drawn to successful teams for various different reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    My opinion of Linfield has changed quite a bit since Setanta. Seems like a well run club with a passionate support that is doing it's best to stamp out sectarianism in the stands. Like other clubs most of the fans are genuine people who are into the football and enjoy going to the games. As we have seen in Dublin in recent weeks there is always a small element that are only interested in causing trouble and tarnishing the name of their club.

Have always wondered this and David maybe you know the answer. Do you think Linfield would have any Catholic fans and if so would they go to the games. I know it may sound like a strange question due to the strong political divide in the north but some people are drawn to successful teams for various different reasons.
    I will be totally honest, the Catholic fans are minimal although there are some but Linfield would not be unique in this such is the divide in Northern Ireland. Equally I would be surprised if Donegal Celtic have Protestant fans and Cliftonville whilst possibly having some it would also be minimal. That is a relatively recent thing for Cliftonville though as it was only really the late 70's that Catholics started supporting them in big numbers. I know of a number of Protestants who would have supported them prior to this but felt edged out and alienated, even threatened. As I said such is the make up of Northern Ireland. At Linfield there are obviously players' families who also go to games and hopefully this is another area that Linfield can improve on. It will certainly help having players from Nationalist areas playing for the club, hopefully the club can become something that all can feel part of although I don't see the club ever losing its ethos as a Protestant/Unionist club which is fair enough as long as the sectarianism is eradicated. Good to hear that the image of Linfield is improving down south, it is certainly the feeling that I have got from Eircom League supporters that I have met. Who could ever have imagined that we would see the day that coach loads of Linfield supporters were being welcomed to the social club in Dalymount Park or Drogheda supporters would be coming on to the Shankill Road at the invite of Linfield supporters for a drink? The Setanta has helped create these possibilities but it is the ordinary supporters from both sides of the border that are actually making them happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Linfield are to be applauded for this initiative. Let's hope it sees a change of songs on matchday. UEFA have laid their stall out clearly on this issue with Rangers.

As for perceptions, I think the Setanta Cup has worked wonders for 'understanding' between fans north and south. Derry fans have understandably had their issues with the IFA and Irish League in the past, but I think the Setanta Cup has made a lot of people realise that we're all in the same boat north and south. We're just people who care passionately about our teams in the face of overwhelming apathy from the general public.

I think Northern supporters' views of Derry fans have changed a lot in return as well. I suspect there were a lot of presumptions made about our fans purely because we're from a nationalist town, and our interactions with Linfield and Glentoran fans have shown any negative perceptions to have been misplaced.

I'm really looking forweard to the Setanta next year, as I think City are going to really come alive for it this year. Like last year, I can't see any IL sides bar Linfield doing much more than making up the numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It wouldn´t be a bad thing if Linfield and Derry fans thru their fanclubs or whatever had a talk about promoting the initiative..I think.
    Linfield as they are the major "blue" club and the ones that started this initiative and perhaps Derry City, because of its history, apart from DCFC being the taste of the month right now it might be a good thing to go outside Belfast as well.

But I´m not local and I might suggest something really stupid..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwalker View Post
    It wouldn´t be a bad thing if Linfield and Derry fans thru their fanclubs or whatever had a talk about promoting the initiative..I think.
    Linfield as they are the major "blue" club and the ones that started this initiative and perhaps Derry City, because of its history, apart from DCFC being the taste of the month right now it might be a good thing to go outside Belfast as well.

But I´m not local and I might suggest something really stupid..?

We don't have the same problems that Linfield do, nor does the EL have the same problem thatthe IL does, so why would we need to get involved in such an initiative ?

There has been a bridge building initiative between Dundalk and Linfield for over a decade now.

Clubs aside, the main Derry City supporters group has a good relationship with the 1st Londonderry Linfield Supporters Club in our city, each group having hosted the other for events this year. Beyond that, why would City want to be involved in an initiative that simply isn't an issue. Should Man united fans join Rangers or Celtic in the Scottish club's initiatives to stamp out sectarianism...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, I've taken a "polite" interest in the Irish League since the Setanta Cup started, and even went to see Glentoran v Coleraine when I was last in Belfast. To be honest, what stood out most for me was the almost total lack of singing...although both clubs were reportedly going through a bad patch. I'd have no problem going to see Linfield play if there was a match on and I was in town. I'd imagine most people inside the ground would be genuine football fans, glad to see another face at the game. I think I'd be more worried about running into some zealot outside the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Outside the ground would not be an issue. That area is now populated with a lot of students and immigrants. You ever want to go, just let me know and I will ensure you are looked after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoingull View Post
    To be honest, what stood out most for me was the almost total lack of singing...although both clubs were reportedly going through a bad patch.
    I went to see Stute v Newry after UCD v Derry at the start of our season and there was also absolutely no singing even though there were a good few fans who were vocal about the ref and the performances.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast