Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ireland vs. Germany

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Numero View Post
    Yeah would agree with alot of that - although I don't think the question of age is the main issue, if that is what you meant. The bulk of the squad would be less than 27/28 years old (they should be approaching their best) and I dont think the older players had particularly bad games or that the younger ones were especially good. Actually probably Olivia O'Toole and Aine O'Gorman had the best attitudes (keeper did ok too) and they are probably the oldest and youngest player!

Simply the attitude of most of the players seemed off. Yes there are plenty of players in their teens and twenties being overlooked, no doubt about it. The comments of the u-19 manager are very disappointing and just stupid. Noel King made a similar remark in the Irish Times before Irelaand played away to Russia.
    ah no i just mean that we should be keeping our eye out for the next generation of players, and not be relying too much on our more experienced ladies!

and im not suprised king made comments like that before, really just proves the kind of manager he is.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I know what you mean. The bottom line is the best players should be in the squad - be they 17 or 27 or whatever. And play to win, always. Don't help Prinz up off the ground - leave her there.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Switzerland got a point from Scotland ( 1-1 on Saturday)so we are level on points with them. We have to hope that both Germany and Russia hockey the Swiss otherwise it's bye bye Elite group of nations

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Numero View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. The bottom line is the best players should be in the squad - be they 17 or 27 or whatever. And play to win, always. Don't help Prinz up off the ground - leave her there.
    Myles Kelly( Assistant Manager)was at Peamount V Benfica yesterday. First time, any of the Senior Women's management team set-up, have been seen at a Premier Division game this season to my knowledge. Open to correction on this point.

And I agree with your points, just illustrating for you why it isn't happening. Three of the Irish back four are USA based players , why is this? There are no UCD players in the squad, you don't win the League with crap players, surely one of them deserves a call up!

Well I don't know if the discourtesy to Prinz is necessary, but kick her first , then help her up !
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 28/08/2006 at 8:00 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The only new players on the senior team in the past few months , have been well established Under 19 international players, there are no players being discovered for the Senior team who are over 19.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just on the point regarding the group, even if Ireland finish bottom would there be a promotion/relegation play-off or just them going back down?

Yeah, I mean it's well-known that the Ireland coaches hardly ever attend the women's league matches here, its a disgrace and quite a few people in the womens game are aware of this situation

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah agree with you there CTID about UCD. They've been winners of the league with probably the highest standard of women's football in Rep Ireland for a few years now (think they've won 2006??). Many of their players seem to be in their twenties - certainly not over the hill for an international call up if they have the ability!

And to be fair some of the u19s seem to be overlooked as well. It's not a good situation

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    The only new players on the senior team in the past few months , have been well established Under 19 international players, there are no players being discovered for the Senior team who are over 19.
    Surely the Irish Management team should be looking at WFAI Senior Cup games to find any potential International players. I'm sure there are dozens of players playing at this level that are good enough to at least get a trial. The Senior Cup is supposed to be the most prestigous Cup in Irish womens soccer, showcasing the best teams the country has to offer... And I'm not talking about just Dublin teams, they need to look outside Leinster also!!

Actually what does a player have to do to get a trial at senior level? if a player hasn't played at underage level but is potentially an international player... Are there ever trials for the senior team or is it purely a call up basis?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The irish management needs to travel all over the country and see all the quality players we have!!Mr King is been paid full time,would it be part of his job descripion.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting recognised

Seems to be just as difficult to be dropped from an International panel as it is to get into it. Is it just as difficult to be dropped from a Provincial panel as it is to get on it as well?

If you've been recognised at a young age as a talented player, it appears that your future is mapped out for you. The recognised talented player seems to be accorded the benefit of the doubt when she plays badly over a period of time. She still remains a part of the setup.

"Late developers" appear to have difficulty in dislodging these recognised players.

The management, including the underage managers, need to look around the country and not rely on their annual foray to the Gaynor Cup to see young talent. The Gaynor Cup tends to exclude some very talented players - on holidays, injured, overlooked, plays with the "wrong" team, plays in the "wrong" league etc..

Take the U14s as an example. Lifford won the National Cup at this age group this year. How many of these girls made the Munster Gaynor Cup panel? They are due to play Annacotty in the Munster U14 Cup Final. How many of these girls made the Munster Gaynor Cup panel?

They should be asking the Leagues around the country who the better players are - at all age groups. They should certainly not rely on the often biased selections for the Gaynor Cup to uncover all the young talent in the country.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surely the bottom line is that FAI scouts should go to both underage and adult women's matches and see things for themselves. Current situation is just bizarre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Monaghan United's star player Charlene Graham has been called up to train with the Senior Womens team this week. We are thrilled for her and think its great that only a year into the game she is getting this chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12