Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Paul Crowley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Paul Crowley

UCD have signed him: http://www.elevenaside.com/ucd/irish...p?newsid=23706

Could any of you lads tell me what kind of player he is? Was he an integral part of your team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    UCD have signed him: http://www.elevenaside.com/ucd/irish...p?newsid=23706

Could any of you lads tell me what kind of player he is? Was he an integral part of your team?
    Certainly an integral part of our team that lifted the 1st division title, and you could put forward the arguement that he was an integral part of the side that went down the following year (central midfield was pretty shocking that year)

He went off to Waterford then for a season and things didn't seem to go well for him there. Mind you looking back at it that was the begining of the slide that sees Waterford where they are now. And with quality players like Chris Deans going to sh1te down there since you mightn't want to hold that against him.

He was a bit of a puzzle this year. Didn't seem as fit as he had been a couple of years ago, and found it hard to make any real impact on the games he played. Rarely started, although midfield did resemble somewhat of a merry-go-round this season.

My summation would be, Crowls is a big talent. He has a huge heart, can tackle like a beast, get from box to box and even pull out the odd wonder-goal. HOWEVER it seems the lad has been lacking a bit of personal motivation in the last couple of years. If he can get that together he could do very well for you. If he can't he'll just be an also-ran I'm afraid.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Jaysus, anyone know what happened to the lengthy response I typed in this thread earlier? Seems to have vanished into the ether.

Anyway, it basically pre-endorsed what Maynard said. Essentially Crowls is a similar player to Tony Mac (plays across the back four or centre mid, scores a disproportionate number of goals) whose frenetic style of play leaves him susceptible to frequent and debilitating injury, further compounded by his tendency to put on weight whilst hors de combat.

He's been disappointing this season, but changed the game against Shels when subbed on in DC's swan-song. Box-to-box midfielder, ferocious tackler, terrific in the air, packing a powerful and accurate long range shot, but a very slow starter in new surroundings. Could have to wait until the winter for any significant contribution from him.

A legend in my eyes nonetheless, all the more so for scoring the goal which condemned TLS to the Eternal Obloquy Play-Offf.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How old is he?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Just shy of 26 by my reckoning. Looks older though. S'pose professional football does that.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    Essentially Crowls is a similar player to Tony Mac
    That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. He's often injured and we miss him sorely when he is. Thanks for the info, Maynard and Sheridan, much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Sounds like he had an impressive debut, he set up our winning goal against Sligo.

Did he play against Monaghan this season i.e. is he cup tied? (if indeed any of your lads are cup tied now )
    Last edited by Poor Student; 04/08/2006 at 9:50 PM.