Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gretna fans and Co

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hopefully the mods will keep supergretna on the site until after derry beat them so that we can all have a laugh at the jock and then they can f*ck him out
    No Comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just to add to Steve's post...I am confused by that post Pete. Is it a claim that the republican surroundings of the Bogside would strike fear into a football team? You know full well we aren't about that and never will be, we will scare the **** out of Gretna in the same way we did to Goteburg but it will not be via sectarian/politcal means.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town
    I have said it before and will say it again, Vaduz would easily stand there ground in the eL, and IMHO be challenging for the title.

You can say it 'til you're blue in the face ( ), but Longford's defeat to Vaduz was down there with the worst results ever by LOI sides in European football. Vaduz are not Valencia. It wasn't a narrow defeat either, Longford were 4-0 down at one point, to a side that come from a "country" that bring nothing to either European or World football, (except the ability to constantly lose matches) and there's in-season Longford getting walloped by an out-of season Swiss 2nd division side!! Unbelievable.

Derry are better than Longford, and I don't expect Derry to further embarrass the league by losing to a Scottish lower division team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    mypost, I'm getting sick of your ramblings. Tell me this, setting aside Rovers "unbelievable" history in Europe , why would Derry getting beat by Gretna be an embarassment? Are you too fcukin' lazy to go and find some info on Gretna? They STEAMROLLED the third division, then STEAMROLLED the second, and I'd be very surprised if they aren't preparing for life in the SPL this time next year. They are being pure BANKROLLED and to an extent than NO Eircom League team can compare. Now will you stop talkin' sh!t and think about that? Please? and not just you...but a few others on here too!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants
    setting aside Rovers "unbelievable" history in Europe
    What has Rovers' European history got to do with this topic??

They STEAMROLLED the third division
    Yeah, so what??

then STEAMROLLED the second
    Yeah, so what??

why would Derry getting beat by Gretna be an embarassment?
    Derry City are one of the top teams in our league, Gretna are a lower league team in Scotland. Furthermore, they are only in the competition, because they happened to play Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final. Gretna's players will lack competitive match practice in comparison to Derry's going into it, Gretna's pre-season form has hardly set pulses racing, and Derry are flying in our league. If you can handle Gothenburg, you can deal with Gretna. If you can't, you will have let the league down badly.
    Last edited by mypost; 31/07/2006 at 3:46 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My post, will you do some research and stop your inane babbling. FC Vaduz are a far stronger club than most EL sides. Gretna are a full time outfit, who will have started their season. Derry had a great result against Gothenberg, but as all Derry fans know they had to play extremely well in both games to achieve it. If Derry win through it will be a great achievement, but Gretna have got to be favourites.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Gretna in the Scot.Div2 this year:
    1st - Gretna - 88 points (36 games. goal dif: +67)
    Second: - 70 points
    Third: - 57 points

Definitly better than your average 2nd division team! - Look likely to win straight up to the Premier this year. They are going to be a very difficult proposition - more so because they are an unknown quantity. Like every eircom League fan I HOPE Derry can beat them, but I don't EXPECT it - should be two good games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Vaduz - this year have knocked out a Hungarian team 4:1 on agragate (won the 1st leg 4:0 AWAY, so were able to sit back for the second leg). They will now meet Basel in the next round (so two teams from the Swis leagues!)
    They also won their first round last year - beating Moldovans 2:1 on agragate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    This tie is up for grabs for both teams. The main factor favouring Derry IMO is the fact that Gretna have to play away from home in two matches. We are going to bring are relatively large vocal support to Motherwell and I know our players will relish taking on a Scottish team in Fir Park. At the Brandywell we can take on anybody, Gretna will have their work cut out to get a result there. There are plans to get an extra 1,500 - 2,000 seats installed for this game. The atmosphere created at the Branywell in the big games is something else. Here's to hoping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost

You can say it 'til you're blue in the face ( ), but Longford's defeat to Vaduz was down there with the worst results ever by LOI sides in European football. Vaduz are not Valencia. It wasn't a narrow defeat either, Longford were 4-0 down at one point, to a side that come from a "country" that bring nothing to either European or World football, (except the ability to constantly lose matches) and there's in-season Longford getting walloped by an out-of season Swiss 2nd division side!! Unbelievable.

Derry are better than Longford, and I don't expect Derry to further embarrass the league by losing to a Scottish lower division team.
    Whatever you think yourself. You've probably never seen Vaduz play so you are just making stupid assumptions that they were a crap team. Thing is, they weren't crap.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants
    mypost, I'm getting sick of your ramblings. Tell me this, setting aside Rovers "unbelievable" history in Europe , why would Derry getting beat by Gretna be an embarassment? Are you too fcukin' lazy to go and find some info on Gretna? They STEAMROLLED the third division, then STEAMROLLED the second, and I'd be very surprised if they aren't preparing for life in the SPL this time next year. They are being pure BANKROLLED and to an extent than NO Eircom League team can compare. Now will you stop talkin' sh!t and think about that? Please? and not just you...but a few others on here too!!!
    FYI Rovers have won more games in Europe than any other Irish side.

Anyway sincerely hope Derry go through if only to shut up more barstoolers. However it will be tough cos as you rightly say they are being bankrolled. Three advantages Derry have though. One is that they have won twice in Europe already this season, two is that both games for gretna are away and three Derry are away first.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    FYI Rovers have won more games in Europe than any other Irish side.

Anyway sincerely hope Derry go through if only to shut up more barstoolers. However it will be tough cos as you rightly say they are being bankrolled. Three advantages Derry have though. One is that they have won twice in Europe already this season, two is that both games for gretna are away and three Derry are away first.

KOH
    And 4 - we're md-season, whilst they've yet to begin.

And 5 - we'll probably be less cocky going into the game than their players will.

This match won't be the pushover that some people thingk. Gretna may be a Scottish Lower Division team, but their squad isn't and that league position is merely temporary. They're by far and away favourites for promotion to the SPL, and already have an SPL-standard team in-place for it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Just to add to Steve's post...I am confused by that post Pete. Is it a claim that the republican surroundings of the Bogside would strike fear into a football team? You know full well we aren't about that and never will be, we will scare the **** out of Gretna in the same way we did to Goteburg but it will not be via sectarian/politcal means.
    I am not trying to be political but it can be an unusual journey to outsiders not familiar with the area. I wasn't making the comment just because it was a scottish team either. Driving through the bogside would be the normal route to the Brandywell?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Do you know anything about the global game?
    Have you ever read mypost's league review?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Boy
    Hey, I know we're crap and it's not necessary to imply it. I think my opinion is as valid as anyones here. I'm thinking of the league in general here. I was as delighted as anyone when you stuffed Gothenburg and even more delighted when I heard you got Gretna. We have enough Man U and Liverpool fans to contend with as it is without taking cheap pops at each other.
    Nah your right Grey Boy, It's just the same way as when Carmanthan (spelling ?) trounced Longford last season, it's a real set back for the league in general.

Just in the same way that Derry and Drogheda's win's were real boosts for the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I am not trying to be political but it can be an unusual journey to outsiders not familiar with the area. I wasn't making the comment just because it was a scottish team either. Driving through the bogside would be the normal route to the Brandywell?
    Not at all - though it all depends on what direction you're travelling from and if you're walking or driving.

Most would go along the Foyle Rd, from either Craigavon Bridge or the Expressway along the river, through the edge of the Brandywell to the ground that way. I suspect the majority of vehciles would go this way.

You'd probably only go through the Bog if you were walking from town - though even then you'd be just as likely to go down Bishop St to the ground, and miss the Bog completely.

Why is it an unusual journey anyway ? In my experience people from outside the city love the Bogside, with its political history and intricately-drawn, unthreatening murals. The place was crawling with Gothenborg fans last Thursday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGretna
    Im going to have a field day quoting all of "Patricks" posts when we knock these spud pickers out

Why do you keep refering to Derry as spud pickers, aren't ther potatoes grown 7 picked in scotland? And in another post you use the term biggots biggotry is as common if not even more so in scottish life.

So do everyone a favour the f*ck up ya muppet jog on and go and eat you haggis with deep fried mars bar washed down with a nice glass of iron brew.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Can anyone explain how a blatant WUM has gotten a four page thread of WUMming? Are people that unable to ignore idiots?!

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    This isnt half as bad as citychat. This guy is a complete and utter BALLBAG!! "IS it safe to bring a Union Jack to Derry". Wot u think u muppett!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can't believe the complacency of some people here.

To win the Scottish Third, Gretna scored 130 goals in 36 games, nearly four a game. They slowed down to win the Scottish Second last year, scoring a mere 97 in 36 games, nearly three a game. They lost the Scottish Cup to Hearts on penos.

Anyone who thinks these are naturally a "lower league" Scottish pushover are deluding themselves.
    Revenge for 2002

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast