Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our up and coming players this season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Our up and coming players this season

Hi people looking at the man utd v celtic game last night what do we have to look forward to this year................Mc Shane and Gibson both played

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I can't see either of those two making any impact for United this season. Would like to see both get a loan move, maybe to a decent Championship team.

Of our other up-and-coming players, of which there are simply far too many to list exhaustively, hopefully some will make big progress. In the Premiership I'd like to see Ireland continue to impress & Flood make more of an impact. I'd like to see Andy Reid re-establish himself.

There are at least half-a-dozen Championship clubs I'll be keeping a close eye on this year for various reasons. There's plenty of young Irish interest. Several made breakthroughs last year that they've got to build upon, others have taken a step backwards which they've got to put right and for others it's a first chance to really impress.

Off the top of my head here's who I'd like to see do best:

Build upon last years promise:
    Garvan
    Supple
    McCarthy
    McShane if he can get a loan move
    McCann
    Jay Tabb

Re-establish momentum:

Elliott
    Stephen Kelly
    Lee
    Whelan
    Colin Healy
    Yeates
    Michael Reddy (far too good for Div 2)

First proper chance to impress:
    Daryl Murphy
    Painter
    Alex Bruce
    Kevin Thornton

It's not really stretching the imagination to think that a few of the above could have something to offer our senior squad before too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Would like to see both get a loan move, maybe to a decent Championship team.
    Gibson is off on loan to Royal Antwerp, the United feeder club in belgium. It's hard to call how that will affect his chances of getting into the senior setup, O'Shea was there for a season, and still didn't get a call up until after his first full season with United. Although Staunton, Dunne, Breen, Cunningham and O'Brien were more established as first choice central defenders at that point

Yeates
    Just signed a contract extension, and heading out on another season long loan. I'd have preferred him to stay at Spurs and fight for his spot, he's 21 now. At the same age, Duff and Keane were well established first team players.

Kevin Thornton
    Playing regularly in Coventry's preseason. As is Michael Doyle in central midfield.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Adam rooney looks good to at stoke.
    Does anyone know if O'hara at spurs is opting for us?

he played for spurs the other day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe clutching at straws here but McPhail to reestablish himself this season? Could be exactly the kind of player we need in the centre if he starts to perform consistently at championship level...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Just add in that Leon Best is in the Southampton squad to take on Cheltenham tonight, Dexter Blackstock (his main rival for up and coming striker) is linked with a transfer, so he may come good for the Saints this season after an injury curtailed his progress last season.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    No one mentioned Joey O'Brien probably the most impressive of our young players last season IMO. Hopefully this season he can get a run out in his preferred position central midfield with Bolton having released Nakata, Fadiga and Okocha who were all competition for that position (also the increasing age of Speed should provide him with more opportunities in CM this season).

I also reckon this could be a big season for Shane Long, Andrew Keogh at S****horpe and Kevin Foley at Luton who all looked excellent last season.
    Last edited by youngirish; 27/07/2006 at 12:22 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    True.

I think the last two mentioned will continue to impress. It'll be interesting to see if Long can make an impact.

What a boost it'd be if O'Brien could get a starting CM slot at Bolton and do well. I think he faded towards the end of last season at full back but I don't have too many doubts that he'll do OK for himself.

I'm am worried about players like Andy Reid and Andy O'Brien who don't have any club momentum. Daily Mail today says Birmingham will bid £1.5m for Andy O'Brien.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba
    Maybe clutching at straws here but McPhail to reestablish himself this season?
    Yes you are, he's old news and is not going to make it now. Maybe if he was a 2 or 3 years younger...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Yes you are, he's old news and is not going to make it now. Maybe if he was a 2 or 3 years younger...
    eh......the guy is only 26 years old and in his prime....a consistent season with an upper tier championship team will throw him right back in the reckoning....I think its a bit easy to write him off like that, just look at guys like Graham Kavanagh, Mark Kinsella and Matt Holland - All late developers and all have played their parts for us over the years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They are nothing like him, they have played at a consistent level over the years. McPhail has been on a downward spiral since the 2 decent games he had for Leeds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They are nothing like him, they have played at a consistent level over the years. McPhail has been on a downward spiral since the 2 decent games he had for Leeds.
    Call me crazy but moving up a division from the previous year is not what I'd call a downward spiral!

I don't really want to drag this on and I'm definitely not saying that McPhail should be called up for the next squad or anything but I'm simply making the point that if McPhail performs consistently for Cardiff this season I think he could be well worth giving another chance...lets face it, we're not exactly overburdened with central midfielders at the moment are we?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner
    Does anyone know if O'hara at spurs is opting for us?

he played for spurs the other day
    England U 18 international.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think we should be looking at Andy Reid for a CM role - great creativity and way more ability than McPhail - also he was class there on his debut - even if it was v Canada

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    It's a bit different cos he did not drop a few divisions before playing at the top level. Nonetheless Kinsella spent almost 10 years at Colchester before a move to Charlton. So, could not be described at playing at a consistent level (unless you count 9 years in Div 3).

Also in fairness Kavanagh has had a stereotypical journeyman history before his indian summer at Wigan. No better than McPhail at his age.

That's not to say McPhail will make it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Just add in that Leon Best is in the Southampton squad to take on Cheltenham tonight, Dexter Blackstock (his main rival for up and coming striker) is linked with a transfer, so he may come good for the Saints this season after an injury curtailed his progress last season.
    I remember some debate last year about his nationalty. Has he made his mind up yet, or was it just conjucture?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia
    I remember some debate last year about his nationalty. Has he made his mind up yet, or was it just conjucture?
    He was called into one of the England underage squads, but AFAIK never played. He didn't play last night for Saints either, but David McGoldrick was up front and JJ Melligan scored the Cheltenham goal in a 3-1 win for the south coast team
    Saints review: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/a...p?page_id=7230
    Cheltenham review: http://www.cheltenhamtownfc.premiumt....html?ptvParm=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia
    It's a bit different cos he did not drop a few divisions before playing at the top level. Nonetheless Kinsella spent almost 10 years at Colchester before a move to Charlton. So, could not be described at playing at a consistent level (unless you count 9 years in Div 3).

Also in fairness Kavanagh has had a stereotypical journeyman history before his indian summer at Wigan. No better than McPhail at his age.

That's not to say McPhail will make it.
    Kinsella only really came to prominence at Charlton and was on of their most consistent players for 4 years. Kavanagh a journeyman??? He's had 4 clubs where he has been probably the best player at Stoke and Cardiff and has done well at Wigan too. By consistent I mean level of performance and personally McPhail doeasn't fit that bill for me and a lot of others I suspect.

Dr Ogba, in recent years he has went from the Premier League to League One to League Two. Would you consider that to be anything but a downward spiral? Yes he's come back up a division but lets see if he excels....somehow I doubt it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Dare I say it but what about Liam Miller, anyone fancy his chances of returning to anything like the CL form he showed at Celtic?

Also Douglas is another I dont think was mentioned.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    McShane looked good, but I agree now he needs regular football. A loan move to a top Championship (eg Palace / Leeds / Preston) or lower Premiership club (eg Fulham / Charlton / Watford) would be a good move for him now.

McGeady looked q.good, he seemed to have improved his choice of passing (I remember seeing him last season and thinking good player but passes the ball too late).

Hopefully he'll have a strong season now, start more often at Celtic and do well for us - I certainly think he should get in all the squads.

Miller had a bit of an indifferent game, looked good in terms of workrate, but didnt really force the issue in terms of chances.

I hear he'll be allowed to leave Man Utd if they get an appropriate offer for him. I hope he does go, because while at Leeds last season he finally looked like a decent player and did well for us against the Swedes.

Hopefully the lad at Spurs (Dickson) will start to come into the fray for them, he's supposed to be a special player and it would be good to see him break through now.

Hope Harte has a good season now Levante are back in the Primera Liga, they've signed some good players too Laurent Robert, Frederic Dehu, the Cameroon striker Meyong, and ex Roma player Tommasi. I think he can still offer us something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast