Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Trap enjoys winding up Darron.

Trap is also quoted as saying "He can run a couple of kilometres more during a game"

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Funny that the only quotes in that article are:
    He can do more. He has a big potential. If I was Gibson I would go to another team where I always play. By doing this you can build your mentality. Manchester is Manchester and it is an important club, but sometimes the young players need to play, play and play. It builds confidence.
    It would of been fair to include the rest of what he said:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...er-144821.html
    including this:
    There was a polemica before when I said that if I was Gibson I would go to another club where I would play more and build personality. Manchester is Manchester, like Juve or Inter, but players need to play, play, play.
    where it sounds like he was only referencing what he said last year rather than reiterating it.

and
    "Maybe next year Scholes goes out and he could play and improve," said Trapattoni. "I expect that this could happen."
    But lets not ruin a good story eh?

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Unbelievable. Ian Hislop was quoted on the back of an Ann Widdecombe novel saying that the book was "a pure joy to read" whereas what he actually said was " this book was pure tripe but compared to the stuff by another old Tory hag, Edwina Currie, it was a pure joy to read". Something like that anyway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    where it sounds like he was only referencing what he said last year rather than reiterating it.
    Trap was reiterating what he said last year, not referencing.
    'He can do more. He has big potential and the right mentality but I said a year or a year and a half ago that if I was Gibson I would go to another club where I can play continuously.
    'With this you can build your mentality. Manchester is Manchester and is obviously an important club but sometimes in the end you need you need to play, play, play.

'You can take confidence from this, but I think he is fantastic.'

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I dont think to be fair theres any another big club in the world where Gibson would have had as many opportunities as he has had at Manu. Fergie obviously rates him and is prepared to persevere with him and we should be grateful for that because theres few Irish players that get the opportunity to play champions league football. Putting on my Manchester United hat I would probably prefer he was left on the bench for the big games though tbh.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Trap was reiterating what he said last year, not referencing.
    'He can do more. He has big potential and the right mentality but I said a year or a year and a half ago that if I was Gibson I would go to another club where I can play continuously.
    'With this you can build your mentality. Manchester is Manchester and is obviously an important club but sometimes in the end you need you need to play, play, play.

'You can take confidence from this, but I think he is fantastic.'
    Dunno where you got that quote geysir (link?) but it's different to the one I quoted.
    Yours:
    He has big potential and the right mentality but I said a year or a year and a half ago
    Examiner:
    There was a polemica before when I said that.

Strange that someone would mistake the word potiential for the Italian word for controversy but without being at the press conference, we'll never know. Capiche?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Darron is at an age where he needs to be playing 1 full game a week (approx if you want to be semantic). Trap is right about this though maybe not about other things.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Dunno where you got that quote geysir (link?) but it's different to the one I quoted.
    Yours:
    He has big potential and the right mentality but I said a year or a year and a half ago
    Examiner:
    There was a polemica before when I said that.

Strange that someone would mistake the word potiential for the Italian word for controversy but without being at the press conference, we'll never know. Capiche?
    Link from Rte

One reason the quotes are different is because they are translated from Trapspeak into some form of english.
    Pretty much he is saying the same stuff about Gibson as last time.
    One thing is becoming clearer, if McCarthy turns up he would be well ahead of Darron in the team. Trap is saying more or less that he needs to work harder and work on his overall midfield game, he has not progressed as much as he needs to do.
    Strange enough, when we have a manager who doesn't say anything, then we quickly get bored, and when we have a manager who is prepared to express himself openly, it doesn't sound as if it should be discussed publicly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Whatever about traps english, your Italian has to be commended.

Along with your ability to clearly decipher traps ramblings into clear and concise meanings.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Link from Rte

One reason the quotes are different is because they are translated from Trapspeak into some form of english.
    Pretty much he is saying the same stuff about Gibson as last time.
    One thing is becoming clearer, if McCarthy turns up he would be well ahead of Darron in the team. Trap is saying more or less that he needs to work harder and work on his overall midfield game, he has not progressed as much as he needs to do.
    And in turn what does that say about Green? He could be out of the squad altogether. Or maybe that's wishful thinking...

And I think Trap's right to try and push Gibson - he seems like the type who needs a good shove occasionally.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    One thing is becoming clearer, if McCarthy turns up he would be well ahead of Darron in the team.
    Definitely and rightly so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    "I don't know in what context he said it," said Ferguson.

"The media today can exaggerate anything now.

"It may have been a simple message for Darron. Who knows?

"I only picked up the headline of it yesterday and didn't really bother about the content.

"I know Trapattoni. He is a sensible, experienced man. I don't really give much credence to it. I don't think he would say it to cause mischief."

Cant argue with those comments. He's definitely mellowed in his old age Fergie.....He'd never make it in journalism
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I like the bit "excelled for Ireland in midweek". Must have been watching a different game, the goal apart. Journalists really like to gild the lilly.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Could well be that Fergie would be only too happy to let him leave in the summer if they can get a decent fee for him. Never seen a more immobile midfielder for Ireland, including Trap's nemesis Andy Reid. Although strangely Gibson did show a turn of pace just prior to the goal. Definitely needs a rocket to get him going.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think he's immobile, he's just been taught in a system that values positioning over harrying which isn't necessarily something we should look down on, especially when you see the amount of energy Whelan and Andrews expend trying to win the ball back only to lose it again because they're knackered. Carrick is exactly the same way, only Carrick is much better at it.

I think Ferguson will keep him for at least next season purely because he's technically-gifted and can pick a pass, of which there are only Carrick and an aging Scholes at United. He obviously has deficiencies but Trap's idea that he should go to Stoke and learn to be Paul Green is laughable, although it might ultimately turn out to be his level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think he's immobile, he's just been taught in a system that values positioning over harrying which isn't necessarily something we should look down on, especially when you see the amount of energy Whelan and Andrews expend trying to win the ball back only to lose it again because they're knackered. Carrick is exactly the same way, only Carrick is much better at it.
    That's what I was trying to say by mentioning Gilberto Silva a while back.

I watched a re-run of the game and at one point a Welsh CB (or a midfielder who had dropped deep) was carrying the ball out of defence, approaching Gibson, but about 12 yards short of him. Gibson made no effort to close him down, instead leaving it for Walters to bust his balls getting back and putting pressure on. Was Gibson lazy not going forward to tackle him, or disciplined keeping his position in the centre of the field?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That's what I was trying to say by mentioning Gilberto Silva a while back.

I watched a re-run of the game and at one point a Welsh CB (or a midfielder who had dropped deep) was carrying the ball out of defence, approaching Gibson, but about 12 yards short of him. Gibson made no effort to close him down, instead leaving it for Walters to bust his balls getting back and putting pressure on. Was Gibson lazy not going forward to tackle him, or disciplined keeping his position in the centre of the field?
    lazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'm not sure it's laziness so much as an adherence to what Trap wants. I'm not sure Gibson is accustomed to the sitting role and would rather do what the manager asks ('two banks of four', stay in line with CM partner) than push up. To be fair I prefer that to Green charging out of midfield and getting the runaround, as against Russia.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 12/02/2011 at 8:52 AM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Obviously Scholes owes nothing to anyone at the end of a marvelous career, but if Gibson had done what Scholes did in the first 15 mins of the second half today against City (that's all I've seen) he'd never play again! Misplaced passes, sliced backpass...