Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Darron's been working on his set pieces.

belter. Is Gibson in the Paddy McCourt brigade? ie. hes a provy who hates the north or is he just picking yous to better his career?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    belter. Is Gibson in the Paddy McCourt brigade? ie. hes a provy who hates the north or is he just picking yous to better his career?
    Go away Aidinho - you have no clue what you're talking about. Paddy McCourt is a Northern Ireland international (as is Niall McGinn) so how could he possibly be "Provy who hates the north" - clueless!
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Go away Aidinho - you have no clue what you're talking about.
    My sentiments exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Interesting choice of word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Interesting snippet from Alex Ferguson's post match press conference at Lansdowne Road.
    He feels that Gibson will have a big part to play for United this season, - which can only be good news for the national team!

From 4.04 on...

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4034/
    Last edited by The Fly; 05/08/2010 at 3:35 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Interesting assessment of Gibsons attributes by Fergie too. All positive regarding his abilities. I think it's his head that holds him back in terms of pressure/nerves etc.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Interesting assessment of Gibsons attributes by Fergie too. All positive regarding his abilities. I think it's his head that holds him back in terms of pressure/nerves etc.
    It's rare that Ferguson ever puts down one of his own players in public. Once I saw him say that Wes Brown was the best central defender in the country.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I was more talking about the qualified endorsement he gave of Gibson though. "He has the abilities to be a very good player". I was wondering if underneath it Fergie thinks Gibson needs to get his head on a par with those attributes, if you know what I mean. I recall reading another coach with exposure to Gibson utter those sentiments a couple of years ago, and I've definately seen first hand him "hiding" for Ireland. I just hope he gets enough games to bed himself into both teams to get over any hump of nerves or whatever the case may be.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I was more talking about the qualified endorsement he gave of Gibson though. "He has the abilities to be a very good player". I was wondering if underneath it Fergie thinks Gibson needs to get his head on a par with those attributes, if you know what I mean. I recall reading another coach with exposure to Gibson utter those sentiments a couple of years ago, and I've definately seen first hand him "hiding" for Ireland. I just hope he gets enough games to bed himself into both teams to get over any hump of nerves or whatever the case may be.
    The coach you're thinking of is Ole Gunner Solskjaer, who said, "Darron Gibson is like a Ferrari , but sometimes it's hard to get him out of the garage."

Anyone who's been following Gibson's career knows that Ferguson has basically been spouting the same lines on Gibson for the past few seasons. "He's going to be a great player some day."

We're all just waiting for that time to arrive. Hopefully it's this year, it would be great for Ireland.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    He's only 22. Carrick misses the start of the season because of injury (as does Anderson) so if Gibson gets off to a solid start then he'll be hard to shift. It's a big year for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Gibson fails to make the match-day squad for the community shield game against Chelsea.

John O'Shea starts.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Go away Aidinho - you have no clue what you're talking about. Paddy McCourt is a Northern Ireland international (as is Niall McGinn) so how could he possibly be "Provy who hates the north" - clueless!
    Paddy McCourt is a boyhood Celtic fan as is Lennon and Martin O'Neil and wee Nial McGinn is too but they are from the Celtic half of Belfast, I don't know much about this guy Gibson from Man Utd tbh but apparently he has played for the North throughout his young career through all the levels and now hes playing for the Republic senior squad.

Does this not stink of a guy trying to better his career by playing for yous rather than sticking with Northern Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Paddy McCourt is from Derry, Neil Lennon is from Lurgan, Martin O'Neill is from Kilrea and Niall McGinn is from Donaghmore outside Dungannon. None of these places are even in the same county as Belfast.

As for Darron Gibson (from Derry, just so you know), he played in the Northern Ireland set-up at under-16 level and has played with us at every level beyond ever since.

Are you on a wind-up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Does this not stink of a guy trying to better his career by playing for yous rather than sticking with Northern Ireland?
    Nope. As an Irish citizen, he has every right to play for us, and has played with us since switching at Under-17 level - hardly the sign of a 'glory-hunter'. He opted to play for us despite the controversy that went with it, which couldn't have been easy to deal with, particularly in 2007 when he made his senior debut. The easy thing to do would have been to stay with NI, but obviously his heart wasn't in it; he's ours now, and we're happy to have him.

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Paddy McCourt is from Derry, Neil Lennon is from Lurgan, Martin O'Neill is from Kilrea and Niall McGinn is from Donaghmore outside Dungannon. None of these places are even in the same county as Belfast.

As for Darron Gibson (from Derry, just so you know), he played in the Northern Ireland set-up at under-16 level and has played with us at every level beyond ever since.

Are you on a wind-up?
    not on the wind up mate but I'm pretty sure that Gibson has always been a Northern Irish player until he chose to play for the Republic at senior level and the the North kicked up hell about it forcing FIFA to make a decision and anybody from the north or south of Ireland can chose which team they want to play for as long as they have not played a full international for either team.

I just hope to eff that Paddy McCourt would have chose the Republic over the north now. plus. plus. the Trap could gee him a wee cigee at half time aswell.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nah he played 3 or 4 games for NI youth teams then switched when he was 16 or 17.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    not on the wind up mate but I'm pretty sure that Gibson has always been a Northern Irish player until he chose to play for the Republic at senior level and the the North kicked up hell about it forcing FIFA to make a decision and anybody from the north or south of Ireland can chose which team they want to play for as long as they have not played a full international for either team.
    Well, now you know better. He's played with us from under-17 level. The IFA only kicked up a major fuss about it when Gibson looked set to make his senior debut for us. They wouldn't have given a damn about him had he not played for Manchester United and, instead, played for a club like Derry City. Plenty of players from the north played for FAI teams before Gibson made his move - and even before the GFA, in fact - but the IFA didn't seem too bothered by it all, presumably due to the lesser reputation of these players. In fact, Jim Boyce (former head of the IFA) in 1999, expressly acknowledged the right of the FAI to call up Irish nationals born anywhere on the island of Ireland.

FIFA's rules have always been pretty clear. They weren't forced to make any decision because nothing was ever ambiguous; they merely clarified their statutes to the IFA time and time again because the IFA preferred to view the rules as warped by their own dogmatic prejudices rather than rationally. Despite FIFA's numerous clarifications on what are and always have been a pretty clear set of rules, the IFA took a huff, decided to wilfully ignore these clarifications and inexplicably went off to CAS in an attempt to convince the court that their wild interpretation of FIFA's rules was correct. Inevitably, CAS told them to get lost.

By the way, Paddy McCourt made his Northern Ireland debut in 2002 whilst at Rochdale, to the best of my knowledge. That was before he went on to play for Shamrock Rovers and Derry City. He would obviously have been fairly young then and maybe didn't fancy his chances with Ireland; maybe he wasn't even aware that he was eligible to play for Ireland. Who's to know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    not on the wind up mate but I'm pretty sure that Gibson has always been a Northern Irish player until he chose to play for the Republic at senior level and the the North kicked up hell about it forcing FIFA to make a decision and anybody from the north or south of Ireland can chose which team they want to play for as long as they have not played a full international for either team..
    i think youre thinking of Shane Duffy's recent switch. As posters here have said Gibson switched at U17.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i think youre thinking of Shane Duffy's recent switch. As posters here have said Gibson switched at U17.
    Besides, Duffy might have played for Northern Ireland's under-21 team on a few occasions, but this was as a 17-year-old who had been fast-tracked through their under-age system with the approval of Nigel Worthington for the very reason of either flattering or guilt-tripping him into sticking it out with them despite his well-known intentions to represent Ireland. He made the switch at the age of 17. The whole furore over his switch arose in the media after Worthington called Duffy into a senior squad for a friendly game despite knowing full well that Duffy had no interest in taking his place in the squad. It was a very sly way of drawing publicity to his "defection" and brewing up a storm. Essentially, the IFA used the lad as a media scapegoat upon the back of whom they'd ride into the CAS case. This all was in spite of Duffy having a father from Donegal, but, of course, there's no place for logic in prejudice or moral panic...

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/news/...37/index.shtml

Linked with a 6 month loan to Stoke according to this
    [COLOR=#000000]The Potters are finalising a deal to bring the 22-year-old to the Britannia Stadium on a six-month loan, with the option of an extension in January should both parties agree. It is believed that the deal will not have a clause for a permanent transfer as Alex Ferguson see's him as a vital part of the future at Old Trafford.[/COLOR]