Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 160 of 170 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Gibson back on Everton's bench tonight away to West Brom.

McGeady also on the bench. Coleman still out injured. Otherwise, McCarthy starts and McClean starts for West Brom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    This is actually his third game on the bench but good to know he hasn't broken down yet! It'd be nice if he (and McGeady) saw some game time. They're down 1-0 close to half time.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gibson on for the final 20 minutes. McCarthy was just booked for a bad dive in the box.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Gibson on for the final 20 minutes. McCarthy was just booked for a bad dive in the box.
    Thought gidson played well really gave everton more purpose with his passing. He takes risks with his passing and makes things happen. Would love to see him play home to germany with mccarthy anchoring and hendrick doing his running with wes and brady off long

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well Everton got 2 goals back and won the game when he is on the pitch, dunno how much influence he
    had on that but he certainly can't have done much harm. Who need Mr Gr when you have Mr Gi?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Being banned from driving has probably improved his fitness.

7. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Both Keane and O'Neill (and indeed Gordon Strachan) were at the game and the camera went on them when Gibson was coming on and they looked genuinely interested. Gibson did well for the time he was on and, depending on fitness, could possibly take on Whelan's mantle in his absence due to suspension.

p.s. Didn't like McCarthy's dive looking for a peno and he looked genuinely sheepish when he was booked.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 29/09/2015 at 4:09 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Thought gidson played well really gave everton more purpose with his passing. He takes risks with his passing and makes things happen. Would love to see him play home to germany with mccarthy anchoring and hendrick doing his running with wes and brady off long
    Gibson has got many chances with us and constantly failed to deliver each time. we would get a far more honest performance from meyler or quinn

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think Gibson's failed to deliver.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I don't think Gibson's failed to deliver.
    i don't ever remember him playing particularly well for ireland. but i could say the same about his time at united perhaps.

25 caps and 1 goal... i think mccarthy has done better overall despite the criticisms he has faced.

that said i'm not mad about stephen quinn or meyler. i also don't get why his champion dunphy keeps calling quinn a 'young player'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    27 years of age with 25 caps and nothing really to write home about. For a player so highly rated at Manchester United I think it's fair to say he hasn't delivered much. That said, his best football has been at Everton and he hasn't had many opportunities with us since, due to a self imposed exile and a spade of injuries. He'd still be my preferred choice to replace Whelan though, he's got more ability than the likes of Meyler and Quinn and undoubtedly a better positional sense which could be crucial against Germany. I've been a critic over the years but I'd still hold out a lot of hope for him making a decent impact for us if he can stay clear of injuries. I don't think it's really fair to imply he wouldn't give an 'honest' performance, I'm sure he's done his best over the years even when I was complaining about him, although I really didn't approve of the exile.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 29/09/2015 at 2:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    i don't ever remember him playing particularly well for ireland. but i could say the same about his time at united perhaps.

25 caps and 1 goal... i think mccarthy has done better overall despite the criticisms he has faced.

that said i'm not mad about stephen quinn or meyler. i also don't get why his champion dunphy keeps calling quinn a 'young player'.
    Because Dunphy's only heard of him in the last few years, and he assumes that's when Quinn got his break in football.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post

I'd say Gibson probably suffers from the same problem as McCarthy in that he doesn't steam around the pitch making fouls, so people think he's not doing anything. I think the midfield always looks more solid with him there - problem is he's always injured.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Interesting excerpt from "Leading", Sir Alex's new tome:
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Nose talking about Manchester United 4-4 Everton April 2012
    I think about that game a lot, and even now I cannot account for what happened. We were 1-0 down after 33 minutes. We got the equaliser just before half-time and the next three goals were unbelievable. We sliced Everton to bits and were leading 4-2.

The irony was that we were haunted by Darron Gibson, a strong midfielder we had only just sold to Everton. I kept telling the team to not let Gibson get in a position with the ball in the middle of the pitch. But, for some reason, we didn’t, and wound up with Darron Gibson actually running the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I'd say Gibson probably suffers from the same problem as McCarthy in that he doesn't steam around the pitch making fouls, so people think he's not doing anything. I think the midfield always looks more solid with him there - problem is he's always injured.
    there is no benefit in charging around the pitch clobbering opposition players but the minimum I expect to see is a player being up for it and putting serious pressure on their opposite number especially in centre mid. I have rarely seen Gibson play in such a way and cant remember him ever shining for us. I cant even remember coming away from one of our matches thinking he contributed greatly through his rumoured passing ability. just don't see it at all with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    there is no benefit in charging around the pitch clobbering opposition players but the minimum I expect to see is a player being up for it and putting serious pressure on their opposite number especially in centre mid. I have rarely seen Gibson play in such a way and cant remember him ever shining for us. I cant even remember coming away from one of our matches thinking he contributed greatly through his rumoured passing ability. just don't see it at all with him
    He's not really the type of player who wows you, but I think he makes us hard to play through and isn't absolutely shattered within 45 minutes like some other players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    and isn't absolutely shattered within 45 minutes like some other players.
    given his work-rate (or rather lack of) this is no surprise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    given his work-rate (or rather lack of) this is no surprise
    Well you're back to snapping at people's ankles again. Gibson works plenty as far as I can see, he's always switched on to what's happening and cutting off angles for the other team, then when we have the ball he does the most difficult part of the game which is actually using the ball. Granted, he's not had a game where his passing has been outstanding, but he takes responsibility.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Yes Gibson was another of those world class players Trapp wasn't picking. At the time I said he hadn't shown any more than Whelan and in fact has probably shown less even before he was injured. I thought he did ok when he came on against WBA and if it came to a choice between him and Meyler, I'd probably go for the latter because of his physicality but there isn't much between them. Quinn I am not sure about. Saw a fair bit of him when he played for Sheff Utd but never really stood out. Dunphy rants about him because he's not in the team - needs another pet topic now that Wes is being selected.

Wouldn't lose sleep over whichever of the 3 MON selects.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    there is no benefit in charging around the pitch clobbering opposition players but the minimum I expect to see is a player being up for it and putting serious pressure on their opposite number especially in centre mid. I have rarely seen Gibson play in such a way and cant remember him ever shining for us.
    Some players are expressly instructed by their managers not to do this. There was a reason why Whelan and Andrews rarely, if ever, got stuck into tackles in the middle of the field under Trap; doing so would have drawn them out of the position they were instructed to occupy. They were to act as a wall rather than press. Just because Gibson mightn't be getting stuck into tackles, doesn't mean he's not up for a game. It's entirely possible he's under orders to restrain himself.