Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 170 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Darron Gibson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Guardian today gave Giggs MOTM but gave "an honourable mention to Gibson, the young Northern Ireland International". God, if only they knew the hornet's nest that could open up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Guardian today gave Giggs MOTM but gave "an honourable mention to Gibson, the young Northern Ireland International". God, if only they knew the hornet's nest that could open up...
    Giggs was undoubtedly MOTM imo. He was head and shoulders above everybody. Gibson was better than I've seen so far but nowhere near deserving of the praise he's receiving here. I find it strange that he gets so much praise for putting in a solid performance against a Championship side, in a match where his team are in cruise control from start to finish yet when the likes of Garvan or whoever do this week in week out they are still considered completely unproven. Still though credit where it's due it was a decent enough showing for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Giggs was undoubtedly MOTM imo. He was head and shoulders above everybody. Gibson was better than I've seen so far but nowhere near deserving of the praise he's receiving here. I find it strange that he gets so much praise for putting in a solid performance against a Championship side, in a match where his team are in cruise control from start to finish yet when the likes of Garvan or whoever do this week in week out they are still considered completely unproven. Still though credit where it's due it was a decent enough showing for him.
    Gibson is doing it for Man Utd albeit only occasionally. Garvan is doing it for Ipswich. There is a big difference. Alex Ferguson saying nice things also carries more weight than Jim Magilton.

I've high hopes for both players. Garvan needs to play at a higher level. I actually think he'll be a better player at a higher level too. Gibson needs more games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Gibson's playing at the same level when you consider he's only played once in the premier. he's a semi regular in Cup competitions but mostly against lower league opposition
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Gibson is doing it for Man Utd albeit only occasionally. Garvan is doing it for Ipswich. There is a big difference. Alex Ferguson saying nice things also carries more weight than Jim Magilton.
    Outside of training Gibson isn't playing at a higher level that Garvan at all. 3 games v Championship strugglers Derby in the past 2 months is hardly evidence that he can "do it" at Man Utd's real level. I agree that Fergie's comments would hold more weight than Magilton's but it's hardly gospel, he did sign Liam Miller after all so things don't always pan out as he expects either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    A visit from Ealing Green is surely due......................
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    A visit from Ealing Green is surely due......................
    Happy to oblige and point out that it would take three or four injuries (at least) for young Mr. Gibson to get a place in the centre of NI's midfield, were he ours.

You're welcome to him*.

* - And Alex Bruce, for that matter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Happy to oblige and point out that it would take three or four injuries (at least) for young Mr. Gibson to get a place in the centre of NI's midfield, were he ours.

You're welcome to him*.
    I will re-post this exactly one year from today. You will cry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Gibson's playing at the same level when you consider he's only played once in the premier. he's a semi regular in Cup competitions but mostly against lower league opposition
    I don't really think it's comparable though. A player may dominate games against SPL opposition for Hearts yet look out of his depth at Celtic for example against the same opposition.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

You're welcome to him*.

Keep yer mits off St. Ledger too!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

You're welcome to him*.

not even ahead of Grant McCann???
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I don't really think it's comparable though. A player may dominate games against SPL opposition for Hearts yet look out of his depth at Celtic for example against the same opposition.
    I know what you mean but I still think that Gibson has achieved very little so far, even compared to the likes of Garvan. Just because he's on the books of a big club doesn't mean he'll turn out better than some of the other players that are missing out at present. I can only go by what I've seen so far (taking level of competition into consideration) and Gibson has done ok in the 2 most recent games I've seen him. United have scored 8 goals in these 2 games against absolutely shocking oppostition in Derby. I'm sorry but if he looked out of his depth in either of these games I'd be seriously worried, he didn't but I'm still not convinced. Hopefully he'll start the Carling Cup Final, that should lead to a lot more realistic assessment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    United have scored 8 goals in these 2 games against absolutely shocking oppostition in Derby. I'm sorry but if he looked out of his depth in either of these games I'd be seriously worried, he didn't but I'm still not convinced.
    It's not hard to look out of your depth playing alongside Ronaldo, Giggs, Anderson and Scholes who he has played with in those 2 games though.

Playing well in central midfield of a decent Man Utd team against division 1 team
    vs
    Playing well in a championship team vs Man Utd

I'd take a lot more encouragement out of the first one. Kris Commons looked brilliant in 2 games against Utd. But could he play in the Man Utd team? No chance.

Watching a player play in a world class team, alongside world class players, will give you the best idea of what level he's at. That goes for a central midfielder more than any player I think.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 16/02/2009 at 7:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He's a carbon copy of Carrick IMO but the Derry man will be better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    You'd probably have a valid point if it wasn't such a struggle to name one NI midfielder let alone 3/4. But then again if they were any good they'd be looking to play for Ireland and not NI.

You're welcome to him*.

What's yours is ours but not vice versa

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We have to remember one thing he is only 21 years old.

he at possibly the best club in the world at the moment and the midfield selection that United have is there strongest that I can remember in terms of strength in depth.

I am still not fully convinced that Gibson is United material but its encouraging that he is getting mom in these games all the same ahead of players like Ronaldo, Evra, Giggs and Carrick.

I think he needs more time and he is defo not a winger. Play him in the centre where he is most comfortable and I think Gibson maybe (i say that with slight caution) will become a very solid player for United in the future.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Very complimentary feature on Gibson in today's Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...oys-boots.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Very complimentary feature on Gibson in today's Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...oys-boots.html
    ‘Fergie told me he watched the game against Cyprus and he thought I did well.’

Well Holy God!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    You'd probably have a valid point if it wasn't such a struggle to name one NI midfielder let alone 3/4.
    Steven Davis (24) and Damien Johnson (30) have approx 300 senior League appearances between them, around 200 of them in the EPL.
    During his 150-odd senior League Appearances, Sammy Clingan (25) has worked his way up to being one of the best midfielders in the Championship. His club (Norwich) rejected a bid for him by Fulham at Xmas.
    Between them they have 100 caps.

Gibson, who has made (I think) the grand total of 1 start in the EPL, would be competing with Grant McCann and Michael O'Connor for a central midfield place in the event of two of the above being injured/unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    But then again if they were any good they'd be looking to play for Ireland and not NI.
    Rugby? Cricket? Hockey? Oh, you mean "Republic of Ireland"...
    Ah right, that must be it: Davis, Clingan & Johnson were worried they wouldn't get a place ahead of the likes of Keith Andrews, never mind Darron Gibson.

Reminds me of a conversation on this Board from a couple of years back, where somebody pointed to Paul McShane's striking out and leaving Man Utd for a Championship club as "proof" that he was a better Centre Back than Jonny Evans, who opted to stay and fight for his place at OT.

Still, I bet Evans is glad he didn't elect to play for the ROI, eh, since he'd never get a place in that line-up? In fact, I expect he feels a bit embarrassed at having just signed a piffling five year contract on quadrupled wages for MU, prior to representing them in the Champions League against Inter in the San Siro next Tuesday.

I wonder what position Gibson will be playing that night?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I wonder what position Gibson will be playing that night?
    The same one Johnny will be in the return at Old Trafford. They might even sit beside each other. You will get a chance to see Darron at Wembley though.

We also have the hugely talented Steven Reid and somebody else who is player of the season for the richest club in Manchester. Both are badly missed in our central midfield.