lazy.
    Are you serious?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Obviously Scholes owes nothing to anyone at the end of a marvelous career, but if Gibson had done what Scholes did in the first 15 mins of the second half today against City (that's all I've seen) he'd never play again! Misplaced passes, sliced backpass...
    Gibson is becoming the football equivalent of Enda Kenny.
    His status improves when absent.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Are you serious?
    Serious as a heart attack.

Gibson is a total waster, too content to sit back and collect his pay packet rather than actually go out and do something. He won't be in the Premiership two years from now and he'll only have himself to blame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That's what I was trying to say by mentioning Gilberto Silva a while back.

I watched a re-run of the game and at one point a Welsh CB (or a midfielder who had dropped deep) was carrying the ball out of defence, approaching Gibson, but about 12 yards short of him. Gibson made no effort to close him down, instead leaving it for Walters to bust his balls getting back and putting pressure on. Was Gibson lazy not going forward to tackle him, or disciplined keeping his position in the centre of the field?
    When we don't have the ball, we try to keep our shape as much as possible. Gibson is not that lazy*. If he was, he wouldn't be where he is today. He is a valuable asset to have in the squad and he showed why against Wales, with a pleasing contribution that included bit of decent play that culminated in a wonderstrike. We won the game and he did his bit for the team.

*People keep saying he's lazy when it's obvious that he just plays with a swagger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    When we don't have the ball, we try to keep our shape as much as possible. Gibson is not that lazy*. If he was, he wouldn't be where he is today. He is a valuable asset to have in the squad and he showed why against Wales, with a pleasing contribution that included bit of decent play that culminated in a wonderstrike. We won the game and he did his bit for the team.

*People keep saying he's lazy when it's obvious that he just plays with a swagger.
    You mean not even on the bench for Manchester United? Cop yourself on, the guy clearly isn't good enough to play for Manchester United and he's hardly shown any sort of progress over the past year. Needs a move to a club that will play him ever match ASAP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Whatever about his chances at United, he's not as lazy as you proclaim him to be. I think he must have worked hard to earn his contract at one of the best clubs in the world. Or maybe he's just really, really lucky?
    I don't deny that he might not be good enough for United and agree that he would probably benefit from a move to a club where he's playing a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Wow wow wow hang on, I only answered a question of whether or not he was lazy or disciplined for failing to leave his position to close down a Welsh defender coming out in possession.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    You then went on to describe him thus:
    "Gibson is a total waster, too content to sit back and collect his pay packet rather than actually go out and do something.
    "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    You then went on to describe him thus:
    "Gibson is a total waster, too content to sit back and collect his pay packet rather than actually go out and do something.
    "
    Do you dispute that? What is Gibson up to today I wonder? All the other footballers are out there earning their keep. He's sitting back having a laugh with his bank manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    tempted to agree but people said the same about o'shea and he's gone on to be good defender and a real part of the united squad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post

Gibson is a total waster, too content to sit back and collect his pay packet rather than actually go out and do something. He won't be in the Premiership two years from now and he'll only have himself to blame.
    You say this from the chair in front of your computer?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You say this from the chair in front of your computer?
    I work Monday to Friday, I'm allowed to kick back and bitch about overpaid footballers on the weekends.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I work Monday-Sunday so I hope you won't mind me calling you a waster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well I work Monday-Sunday so I hope you won't mind me calling you a waster
    Darron Gibson reminds me a bit of John Lennon in the late 70s. Instead of going out and making great music, he was content to stay at home and bake biscuits with the missus. I wonder if that's what young Darron did today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Darron Gibson reminds me a bit of John Lennon in the late 70s. Instead of going out and making great music, he was content to stay at home and bake biscuits with the missus. I wonder if that's what young Darron did today.
    Great analogy.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    So who are the "rest of the Beatles" in this analogy?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Duff is George, worth a solo cameo but not the future.

Dunney is Paul, has a successful solo career which is patchy as hell.

Kilbane is Ringo. A big pointy anchor.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I wont bother addressing what you said about Gibson as a person, but re: not closing down the Welsh player you mustn't have the slightest clue about how Ireland play football.

Put it this way, when Gibson isn't playing we've seen Andrews/Whelan/Green/whoever do the exact same thing. We hear the players constantly say how Trap is obsessed with the team keeping their shape. If it wasn't Jon Walters breaking his ****** getting back like you said, we've seen Kevin Doyle do that a hundred times under Trap's regime.

That's because if you've seen any Ireland game in the last two years you'd know that it's not Gibson's job to go close down a player in that position. Instead we let whoever the opposition is have the ball in front of our midfield all they want and they are free to move it side to side all day long, with the Kevin Doyle role being the only one closing down/pressurising teams in that position. Gibson or whoever the central midfielders are keep their shape until teams get well in to our half, at which case they get smothered. It means teams like Cyprus can have all the possession they want against us in that game at Croker yet never create a decent chance unless they put the ball in the mixer in the last seconds (though people will still come out and moan that we were somehow played off the park?!), though leaves us susceptible to an attacking midfielder getting in to positions between our two lines of four dragging the system out of shape (as Stilian Petrov did, and Anelka did in the home game)

So Gibson not closing down a player for no reason and instead keeping the shape is actually good play on his part, even if the idiot masses in the crowd are demanding he "gets stuck in" or "shows a bit of passion".

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    I wont bother addressing what you said about Gibson as a person, but re: not closing down the Welsh player you mustn't have the slightest clue about how Ireland play football.

Put it this way, when Gibson isn't playing we've seen Andrews/Whelan/Green/whoever do the exact same thing. We hear the players constantly say how Trap is obsessed with the team keeping their shape. If it wasn't Jon Walters breaking his ****** getting back like you said, we've seen Kevin Doyle do that a hundred times under Trap's regime.

That's because if you've seen any Ireland game in the last two years you'd know that it's not Gibson's job to go close down a player in that position. Instead we let whoever the opposition is have the ball in front of our midfield all they want and they are free to move it side to side all day long, with the Kevin Doyle role being the only one closing down/pressurising teams in that position. Gibson or whoever the central midfielders are keep their shape until teams get well in to our half, at which case they get smothered. It means teams like Cyprus can have all the possession they want against us in that game at Croker yet never create a decent chance unless they put the ball in the mixer in the last seconds (though people will still come out and moan that we were somehow played off the park?!), though leaves us susceptible to an attacking midfielder getting in to positions between our two lines of four dragging the system out of shape (as Stilian Petrov did, and Anelka did in the home game)

So Gibson not closing down a player for no reason and instead keeping the shape is actually good play on his part, even if the idiot masses in the crowd are demanding he "gets stuck in" or "shows a bit of passion".
    You're more than entitled to your opinion, but I never miss an Ireland match and I disagree wholeheartedly about what Gibson should have done in that situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    though i would tend to agree with your general point CR - he really is just following the tactical plan as set out by Trap. Jicked's post is bang on the money. If we played a different way, you might have seen Gibson being the first man.

Shape, shape, shape for Trap.