Page 78 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think it's a huge amount to expect of a young player to lead a team when somebody as experienced as Scholes isn't performing. He needs direction - that's very clear.
    Yeah, but that's one game. He's played plenty of matches where the other midfielders weren't as poor, and he still looked out of his depth. It's getting a bit late for the age card also, this is his third season involved with the first team, and there's no sign of improvement whatsoever. Anderson is younger than him and, despite some critics, plays at a much higher level than Gibson, and did so even when he came to the club first at 19.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Now that you mention it Darren Potter did get a goal for Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup on Saturday (although overshadowed by Clinton getting two penalties).

It was a lovely strike from outside of the box but truth be told Potter is struggling even to make it at Division One level. Heffernan is doing well but too many injuries.

Back to topic, what exactly does Gibson possess? Not a great passer, not great pace, a reasonable shot. I don't think he's going to make it.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    I actually think Gibson is an excellent passer of the ball, but he needs far too much time to pick the pass. Someone like Scholes can instinctively know where everyone on the pitch is and make the pass look simple, Gibson has to stop and look before making the pass.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah, but that's one game. He's played plenty of matches where the other midfielders weren't as poor, and he still looked out of his depth. It's getting a bit late for the age card also, this is his third season involved with the first team, and there's no sign of improvement whatsoever. Anderson is younger than him and, despite some critics, plays at a much higher level than Gibson, and did so even when he came to the club first at 19.
    Two games in a week, to be fair, one of which he played on the wing.

Gibson has a lot of qualities but he obviously needs to step it up at some point soon and show that he can be a go-to player, but I think the criticism can be over the top sometimes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I read something recently about the difference between talent and skill in football... Something along the lines of Talent is being able to display the skill, whilst someone's trying to kick you in the ass. I think it's appicable to Gibson.

Needs to get away from Old Trafford to mature as a player. There's no two ways about it in my mind. He's a different animal to Fletcher in terms of what they bring to a game before that old chestnut is churned out.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Interesting piece on Gibson, by Paul Ince.

http://paulincesnotebook.com/2011/02...united-player/
    Last edited by The Fly; 03/02/2011 at 9:02 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Interesting piece on Gibson, by Paul Ince.

http://paulincesnotebook.com/2011/02...united-player/
    Very interesting.the end of the paragraph about tackling is he a bit of a Nancy boy.he kinda looks like one.i mean what can he be doing when his teammates are tackling?looking at them tackling or dreaming about the streets of derry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    A few things struck me:

How few tackles ANY of the MU midfielders make.

I used to watch Gilberto Silva a lot, the archetypal "holding" player. He never tackled, he just made opposition players play around him and quite effectively.

There's no mention of WHERE Gibson has played. I've seen him a few times out on the right. The Guardian's chalkboard analysis is more useful than simple bar charts.

Fletcher & Anderson's pass completion rate increases slightly when Gibson isn't playing. So what? Does Gibson's presence on the pitch impede their vision or something?

Perhaps even more damning is this statistic. Gibson has played 712 minutes of a possible 1080 in his 12 appearances this season, during this time he has been on the field for 16 United goals for and 11 goals against. In total these 12 games have seen 30 United goals for and 14 goals against. He has played 66% of these games yet been on the field for only 53% of the goals for and 79% of the goals against.
    What would the same analysis show of the others?

These stats don't tell us anything we don't already know: he's not as good a player as Scholes, he's tidy, passes well but isn't assertive. As Solskjaer said, there's more to come from him if they can only get it out of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Most of the stats are a bit pointless alright. The only thing that really matters is that United are a far better side without him, and you wouldn't need any stats to see that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    The stats are a bit worthless. Pass completion will vary significantly with formation and style of play. Man Utd players won't try so many low percentage passes against Chelsea as against West Ham. They won't need to tackle as much - they'll just have possession a lot of the time. Statistical analysis of sport is one of the most consistently mind-numbingly crappily implemented uses of statistics, and that's a competitive field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Statistical analysis of sport is one of the most consistently mind-numbingly crappily implemented uses of statistics, and that's a competitive field.
    Agreed. Statistics will work in sports like baseball or ,er, chess but not football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good goal. Played ok, but imo is never going to be good enough to be a centre midfielder at the top level. There was a couple of occasions last night where he was urging the midfield to push up the field and close the opposition when arguably it is something he doesnt do enough himself.

I actually think his best role would be employed behind a striker, although he would need to up his work rate to play there. He has such a lethal strike and his generally good on the ball that we should try to maximise that and play him closer to the opponents goal. But he does not assert himself, is not a battling strong midfielder, he doesnt show for the defenders particularly when they have the ball at their feet and he does seem to want to get hold of the ball and take control of the midfield. Perhaps he might play well with McCarthy in midfield?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I missed the final team lineout just before I sat down for the kick off on Sky Sports. It took me until the 7:57mins to work out who was partnering Whelan in midifeld. Im not sure he had a touch until then and he certainly didnt have his name mentioned until that point. I think its indicative of his general anonymity in games (Oh and Im sure it says something about my deteriorating eyesight but thats another matter).

Take nothing away from the strike - sublime but then we all know he can do that and its a fantastic asset to have, its the rest of his game where Im struggling to see him bring anything to the table at this stage, though Im sure he has it in his locker and just needs to get it out.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'll be honest I thought he got on the ball quite a bit, and played some really nice, generally forward passes. Particularly linked with Duff and Whelan well in controlling midfield. To be fair I'm biased, Derry and all, and tend to micro-monitor his every move but he was far more active than usual imo.

However Geysir made a good point in another thread about his defensive ability - he doesn't impose himself physically or really close down/cover space in a way you'd like him to when on the back foot, meaning he tends to be completely anonymous when we don't have the ball for a spell (which is more often than not).
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 09/02/2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You must have had the sound switched off, Junior. Lots of mentions, both complimentary and critical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I wonder if Gibson will respond like the last time. Or more than that, will Fergie weigh in. Fergie's silence would suggest he agrees

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You must have had the sound switched off, Junior. Lots of mentions, both complimentary and critical.
    In the first 8 minutes?

Obviously once Id figured it out and the game went on he was mentioned but nothing of note apart from the great goal. Some simple passes carried out effectively and some adventurous misplaced ones.

I thought Whelan played very well actually, saw a hell of a lot more of him than Gibson in the middle. Im not anti-Gibson or anything just want him to show a bit of workrate when we dont have the ball.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    I wonder if Gibson will respond like the last time.
    Indeed. And which lowly club will bear the brunt of his sarcastic ire this time? My money's on West Brom.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts