Page 77 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    No, Ferguson is forced to play him there because he's found himself in a pinch down away at Southampton in a knock out game. If O'Shea ever starts at left back I'll shut up about it, but it simply won't happen because Ferguson doesn't rate him there, just like a host of Ireland managers didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Sounds like a bad day for Gibson, he looked fair frustrated sitting on the bench.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    He was very poor today. I think he's done at United.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Gibson is having a nightmare of a match here against Southampton.
    Nightmare of a game implies making a litter of mistakes. Darron didn't make a litter of mistakes.
    Comatose would be an apt description of his presence out there.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Was he playing on the left again? I fell asleep after about 10 minutes but he had a few decent touches early on from what I saw.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Looked to be playing in the middle. Wasbabsent for most of the game.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Maybe the lad just needs regular first team football (at what level). It does'nt seem to be working for him at utd at the moment.

Hopefully he is one of those players that needs to play regularly.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It seems United were playing a midfield diamond and Ferguson changed it to bring on width, which is also why Gibson was replaced at Blackpool. Both were poor performances and Gibson wasn't any worse than his more experienced teammates in either so you can't read that much into it. Unless you buy into the theory that he'd a disease that infects everyone around him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Gibson wasn't any worse than his more experienced teammates
    This seems to be the most commonly used excuse for him. Firstly, I don't think it's really true. Although most of the other players were playing poorly, they weren't shying away from receiving the ball and it was noticable that they were actually playing. Secondly, Gibson is in a completely different situation to these guys. He needs to take his opportunities when he gets them because, unlike his team mates, he has it all to prove.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think its fair to say that both Scholes and Anderson was as inept as Gibson in the first half. But true, these are the games where Gibson as a CM needs to stand up and assert himself, otherwise how can he expect to be considered for a regular first team role.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Alas I think Gibson will end up playing for someone like Burnley or worse (Sheffield Wednesday who have Potter, O'Connor and Heffernan all of whom we had hopes for at one stage) or perhaps for Iverness in Scotland. That said, it's not easy to make it at Man U and perhaps if he steps out of the shadows there and joins a mid to lower Premiership team, it might be the makings of him. I am not that optimistic but he's going no where at Old Trafford.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    We know a promising career has hit an impenetrable brick wall, when the player ends up in Sheffield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    This seems to be the most commonly used excuse for him. Firstly, I don't think it's really true. Although most of the other players were playing poorly, they weren't shying away from receiving the ball and it was noticable that they were actually playing. Secondly, Gibson is in a completely different situation to these guys. He needs to take his opportunities when he gets them because, unlike his team mates, he has it all to prove.
    I think it's a huge amount to expect of a young player to lead a team when somebody as experienced as Scholes isn't performing. He needs direction - that's very clear.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    No, Ferguson is forced to play him there because he's found himself in a pinch down away at Southampton in a knock out game. If O'Shea ever starts at left back I'll shut up about it, but it simply won't happen because Ferguson doesn't rate him there, just like a host of Ireland managers didn't.
    O'Shea started at left-back this season (on October 24th at Stoke). Evra played left-midfield that day and O'Shea was the natural cover. Over the last 5 or 6 seasons Manchester United have had Gabriel Heinze and Patrice Evra as first-choice left-backs. However, when either of those players has been injured O"Shea has usually been the one called upon to fill-in. He was never going to be first-choice with those two as competition but Ferguson has never hesitated to use O'Shea there when he needs to.

Brian Kerr picked Steve Finnan at left-back and he looked very uncomfortable - he admitted as much himself when he retired from International football. O'Shea has not played there very often for Ireland so I think its a bit harsh to be judging him as incapable of playing the position.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    O'Shea started at left-back this season (on October 24th at Stoke). Evra played left-midfield that day and O'Shea was the natural cover. Over the last 5 or 6 seasons Manchester United have had Gabriel Heinze and Patrice Evra as first-choice left-backs. However, when either of those players has been injured O"Shea has usually been the one called upon to fill-in. He was never going to be first-choice with those two as competition but Ferguson has never hesitated to use O'Shea there when he needs to.

Brian Kerr picked Steve Finnan at left-back and he looked very uncomfortable - he admitted as much himself when he retired from International football. O'Shea has not played there very often for Ireland so I think its a bit harsh to be judging him as incapable of playing the position.
    Whatever about the rest of the post, if the bit in bold is true and I dont doubt it, then CR, stick to your word and stop spamming the forum with $hite about how O'Shea can not/ should not/ will not ever ever ever be a LB when quite clearly he is an option there for us.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    confirmed on football-lineups.com: http://www.football-lineups.com/lineup/181466/
    Also, started there against Sunderland on 2 October 2010: http://www.football-lineups.com/match/77231/
    There's a rundown of his starting positions here: http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/49/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Whatever about the rest of the post, if the bit in bold is true and I dont doubt it, then CR, stick to your word and stop spamming the forum with $hite about how O'Shea can not/ should not/ will not ever ever ever be a LB when quite clearly he is an option there for us.
    O'Shea has started at left back at least twice this season alone (Sunderland (2nd Oct) and Stoke (24th Oct)). He may have started at left-back -vs- Wolves but I can't seem to get confirmation of that anywhere.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Alas I think Gibson will end up playing for someone like Burnley or worse (Sheffield Wednesday who have Potter, O'Connor and Heffernan all of whom we had hopes for at one stage) or perhaps for Iverness in Scotland. That said, it's not easy to make it at Man U and perhaps if he steps out of the shadows there and joins a mid to lower Premiership team, it might be the makings of him. I am not that optimistic but he's going no where at Old Trafford.
    The similarities between Gibson and Potter actually occurred to me over the weekend. I hope Darron's promise doesn't fade as quickly.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    The similarities between Gibson and Potter actually occurred to me over the weekend. I hope Darron's promise doesn't fade as quickly.
    I don't think Potter got much of a chance at Liverpool. Gibson has had a few chances at Man U. Moral of the story: avoid the Christian name Darr(e)on.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Now that you mention it Darren Potter did get a goal for Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup on Saturday (although overshadowed by Clinton getting two penalties).

Last edited by EastTerracer; 01/02/2011 at 1:28 AM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot