Page 72 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    He needs a move in January, along with half the current Irish squad. Of course, it won't happen, because like ... Given, he's more than happy to just sit back and collect his high wages instead of making half the money and actually playing for a smaller club. .
    Think that's incredibly unfair on Shay Given. It was only 18 months ago people were on his back saying he hadn't the bottle to move to a big club and test himself. No after 8 games on the bench, he should just ditch his ambition and go back down?

To be honest I'm sick of people sticking up for Gibson using the Darren Fletcher excuse.
    Why is it only Gibson that gets away with the fact Fletcher did nothing for 3 years at Manchester United before he became such an integral player?
    Surely that same excuse should be given to any of the other players in the whole of the Premier League who have made little to no impact in their first teams.
    Gibson has a hell of a lot to prove.

Look at McCarthy, Meyler, and Coleman.
    None of those three have needed to rely on some crap excuse that it has taken Antonio Valencia/Lee Cattermole/Phil Jagielka(delete as appropriate) 3 years to grab their chance and show how good they are.

As for Ferguson's positive comments on Gibson. Through the years he has bigged up all his players in order to get a good price when he sells them.

"United manager Sir Alex Ferguson agrees and he has big plans for Wallwork, saying: "Ronnie is definitely going to be a first-team regular"
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Wallwo...ana-a060505951
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not in the squad for tonight. No midfielders on the bench so he must be injured.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Or still being rested after his exertions for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Or still being rested after his exertions for Ireland.
    Ah, the old "(international) hangover".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    didn't see the full game but he laid on a terrific ball for the hernandez winner in the c. cup against wolves last night...
    zombie/thread killer..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    watched the game, United's midfield was terrible and that's why it was such a free flowing game they were never to be seen tracking back and leaving serious holes in the middle of the park, however Gibson was far better supporting/looking for the pass and better going forward. Carricks future at united is definitely uncertain going on last nights performance and his general bench action, Gibson has moved ahead of him in the pecking order. In general i was impressed with Gibsons performance last night and it was good to see he was designated to take the corners/free kicks etc. He even got booked because he put in a challenge...albeit a late one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He even got booked because he put in a challenge...albeit a late one.
    Never mind Carrick! Scholes will have to watch out if Gibson "develops" this side of his game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    was at fault for one of the goals as lost the ball poorly and reacted even worse.
    still very much a work in progress and the jury is still out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Remember it was only wolves and that fletcher is dire...hunty looked good looking at him last night he is actually a better technically gifted player than I thought, though he had a lot of time on the ball to make decisions.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    was at fault for one of the goals as lost the ball poorly and reacted even worse.
    still very much a work in progress and the jury is still out
    yes true though carrick's reaction was the poor one, gibson just ran around trying to get the thing back.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Gibson was excellent on the ball last night, but pretty poor off the ball. Much better in the second half. It is painfully obvious watching the guy that he is not a defensive midfielder. I really dont know why Fergie persists with him in that position. In the later stages of last nights game, and at home to Bayern last season, Gibson was in an attacking midfield role and was much more impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Gibson was excellent on the ball last night, but pretty poor off the ball. Much better in the second half. It is painfully obvious watching the guy that he is not a defensive midfielder. I really dont know why Fergie persists with him in that position. In the later stages of last nights game, and at home to Bayern last season, Gibson was in an attacking midfield role and was much more impressive.
    is he trying to turn him into keane mk. II? i think keane started out as an attacking, forward-breaking midfielder in his forest/early man. united days? he was consistently good at getting into the box ahead of the defence and finishing. then he turned into an all-around ball-player/winner. with age, he became more of deep-lying shield for the back four... lots of hyphens in his reply = sh!te talk more likely
    zombie/thread killer..

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Was he playing in a defensive role at all though? I thought Carrick was doing that (albeit fairly poorly, which is unusual given that it's his one strength).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Both Carrick and Gibson were sitting deep in the first half, with only Carrick pushing forward the odd time. Strange. Only in the last twenty minutes Gibson seems to have been allowed forget about his defensive duties. I actually thought it was one of his better games. He seemed to be making a bit more of an effort to impose himself on the game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post
    is he trying to turn him into keane mk. II? i think keane started out as an attacking, forward-breaking midfielder in his forest/early man. united days? he was consistently good at getting into the box ahead of the defence and finishing. then he turned into an all-around ball-player/winner. with age, he became more of deep-lying shield for the back four... lots of hyphens in his reply = sh!te talk more likely
    I think Keane had a different temperment that facilitated his transition to an all-rounder. Its true that Keane started out as an attacking, forward breaking midfielder and he transformed as described above.

From an early age, Keane had an intensity about him and had a tremendous work rate. Thats not Gibson - certainly not right now.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    From an early age, Keane had an intensity about him and had a tremendous work rate. Thats not Gibson - certainly not right now.
    totally agree. a pity in a way but gibson shouldn't be anyone but himself. has lots of tools but a bit more fire/athleticism wouldn't go amiss.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Both Carrick and Gibson were sitting deep in the first half, with only Carrick pushing forward the odd time. Strange. Only in the last twenty minutes Gibson seems to have been allowed forget about his defensive duties.
    aye it's a salient point carloz, i suppose if ferguson tells you to sit, you sit. or else you'll be sitting somwhere else...
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Darron doesn't make the squad for United's game against Spurs.

O'Shea is on the subs bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gibson is out with a virus, along with Anderson, Evans and Macheda. Not coincidentally, they all missed Saturday too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Could be back for Wolves at the weekend. With Anderson still out and Fletcher and Nani both added to the injury list, he might be pressed into action.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2...me/gnid-80358/