Page 69 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Actually thought he was older than 22, I think hes very similar to Lampard at that age. I always thought that if Lampard didnt score that he didnt contribute much else to the game but as he has gotten older he has become a much better player. Hope Gibson can follow his example
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 28/09/2010 at 9:46 AM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    More today from Gibson in the Independent:
    Gibson to stick with United despite falling down Irish pecking order: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...r-2355179.html
    ‘I’m nearly 23 and I need to be playing ... but I want to be first choice’: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...o-2355282.html

Good to see that he spoke with Trapattoni and clarified what Trapattoni meant by his earlier comments
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Fantastic article from Richie Sadlier on the ridiculous press coverage of Gibson in recent weeks:

H e is our record scorer and will inevitably become our most capped player of all time. Clubs have parted with over stg£75m in transfer fees for him throughout his career and only a fool would rule out that figure increasing very soon.

Robbie Keane's career has become one of the most lucrative of any Irish player in history, both on and off the field. He can consider himself very fortunate that he chose Wolves over Liverpool when he was a kid.

Every year, a handful of talented Irish schoolboys hoping for a career in the UK face the same dilemma. Sign for a top club where the wages, facilities, players and coaches cannot be matched elsewhere, or opt for a lesser club which provides greater opportunities to play. Parental influence can often be the deciding factor, but once the deal is signed it's all down to the player.

Few who go to top clubs make any real progress before being moved on, and many who leave achieve nothing after they go. Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson is one of the rare examples of an Irish player who has made the breakthrough and become an established squad player at the very highest level.

You would assume that would earn him the respect of those at home, but it appears you would be wrong. Most critics concentrate on his shortcomings compared to those around him, and none seem to believe he will remain at Old Trafford much longer. Even Giovanni Trapattoni seems unimpressed with much of what he can offer.

For example, consider the reaction to his performance against Rangers. He played in a team short of attacking ideas against a team bereft of attacking intent, yet for many this game was confirmation that Gibson is not up to it at all. That it was at Champions League level mattered little (even though Manchester United qualifying from the group was always a racing certainty). While other Irish lads impress for teams whose aim is to reach 40 points in the Premier League as soon as possible, Gibson is experiencing life at the very top table. How long he stays there remains to be seen, but it would not surprise me if his career at Old Trafford emulates that of John O'Shea.

Aware of the opinions of him out there, Gibson spoke last week of his patience and realism when it comes to his short-term first-team expectations. He is also all too aware of what Trapattoni thinks. Surpassed recently in the pecking order by a Derby County player none of us was aware of six months ago, he seems to be at best the fourth-ranked central midfielder in the Irish squad.

It would surprise me greatly if he made any decision to favour an international career over his progress at club level. He was criticised in many quarters recently for his response to Trapattoni's view that he may benefit from a move away from Old Trafford. Dismissed as arrogant or a little petulant, the manner in which he scoffed at the idea of a move to a club like Stoke City made headlines everywhere.

Personally, I've no problem with players coming out and publicly defending themselves against what they believe to be unjust criticism or nonsensical comments. For a young player to challenge the view of Trapattoni in such a way shows there is perhaps more to him than we first realised. And before anyone says we should therefore have more respect for Stephen Ireland for the same reason, forget about it. Ireland's just an idiot.

There is no other club in England at which the standard has been set so high for so long. That Gibson is not the preferred choice in central midfield is used against him by those who insist a move away is needed. Considering the form and pedigree of some of those ahead of him, it is utterly ludicrous to suggest that because of this his career would be best served elsewhere. It is worth noting that critics often cite Keane's schooling at Wolves to explain some of his shortcomings, saying those years would have been better served in the Academy at Anfield. Gibson could go to a lesser club where first-team football is guaranteed. Others have done this and enjoyed prolonged spells of competitive football at places like West Brom, Newcastle and Sunderland. Lofty achievements for most players in professional football, but not for any with experience of life at Manchester United.

Gibson appeared pragmatic about his situation at United when asked about it last week. He will join the Ireland squad fully expecting a place on the bench for both upcoming games against Russia and Slovakia. It's far more difficult to play for United than for Ireland, but he appears more than willing to have a crack at doing both. I don't understand the mindset of those who knock him for attempting to do so
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...m-2362661.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I can't say I think it's much of a fantastic article to be honest, and I like Sadlier. There are a few flaws in it I believe.

1) United are on the slide. Central midfield is where they've been weak for a while I feel, and Gibson has had the fortune of having Hargreaves and Anderson both out on long term injuries and had an aged Giggs and an ageing Scholes as company. He hasn't made the breakthrough at United and he's as established in the first team squad as Wellbeck was or as Macheda is. Peripheries. The comparison to O'Shea is unfair on Josh, and perhaps lazy. John broke through as a centre half doing relatively well, then had a fantastic season as a temp full back. His versatility is what stunted his early career with United. Darron Gibson doesn't have that versatility, the little I've seen of him.

As for running the show against Rangers, "Manchester United qualifying from the group was always a racing certainty" United qualify with ease from such groups by steam rolling teams early on, particularily the weaker seeds, allowing them to coast in the final two games. I didn't think there was anything outstanding from Darron I'm afraid.

Finally, I think Richie misjudges the reaction to what Gibson said about moving away to such places as Stoke. I was peeved by it because it showed a poor lack of respect to his teammates, such as Whelan and Lawrence, that he was dismissing their clubs as backwaters. Use the head man!

There's nothing wrong with Darron Gibson fighting tooth and nail to get into the starting XI for club. We'd all admire it. But there comes a time surely as a pro footballer, where you reach an age, or a stage where you have to ask, am i wasting my time here? I appreciate that Scholes is likely to be gone the end of this season and that Hargreaves will probably never come back, but they've also got Cleverly coming through, and he's a player, and I don't believe Ferguson won't go to the market in the summer either.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Not too sure what I think about his musings on the respective careers of Robbie Keane or Darron Gibson but his anaysis that delves deep into the "complex?" mind of the enigma that is Stephen Ireland seems extremely close to the mark and insightful. I have a much better understanding now of what makes the man tick. Worth reading the article for this alone.
    Last edited by youngirish; 04/10/2010 at 2:14 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Seems to me that with the persistent selecltion of the willing but limited Green the gauntlet has been thrown down to Gibson and he's not taking it. I mean there's nothing Green brings to the table that Gibson can't do for himself, where as Green can't do what Gibson does technically. Gibson hasn't taken ownership of what he needs to do in the face of a gaping oppertunity if you ask me and should be dropped from the next squad to look at alternatives.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What should Gibson be doing to take ownership of the situation? Are you talking at club level or while on Ireland duty?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    In ireland duty stutts. He means that given how poor green has been for ireland, he is ovbiouslly just as poor in training and gibson shouldbe going about tackling and tracking back helping out the defense more, we all know about the other side of his game,but if he cant do what green is obviouslly picked for which just requires a bit of "fire in the belly", determination and gumption then he shouldn't be in the squad at all as he obviouslly isn't taking the opportunity that is being presented to him by green being so poor.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    why has osarusan been banned?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    IMO, as it stands now, is not Greens role that Gibson should be after, it is Whelans.

We just need a better player than Green who can perform his midfield duties, should Trap persist with that CM formation.
    Trap wants to have one CM as a more advanced disrupter and the other with a more general role.
    There is no way Gibson is suited to the persistent closing down that Green is expected to do

Overall, I have my doubts that this type of midfield can work. The starting point, (i.e. before deploying that CM formation) is to have a player at the required standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If you play Gibson then it has to be with two other central midfielders beside him. Unless the Trap ditches 4-4-2 then Gibson will never start for us in a major game. The same problem would apply if we had Ireland back in the mix. To get the most of out Gibson you'd have to nearly build a team around him and I don't think Fergie/The Trap are ready to do that.

He is most dangerous in advanced positions. Let two donkeys tidy up behind him, give him the ball and let him shoot. Tracking back and harrying the opposition is not part of his game.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What should Gibson be doing to take ownership of the situation? Are you talking at club level or while on Ireland duty?
    More or less what Paul answered. The club situation is a different thing altogether. I personally think leaving United could be a case of one step back to take two steps forward for him but it's difficult to berate someone for not wanting to leave Man U. No, as i was saying I think Trapp selection, and now at this stage persistence, with Green is realy an indication of the very least he's expecting from his midfielders in terms of application. Gibson hasn't picked up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There is no way Gibson is suited to the persistent closing down that Green is expected to do.
    Why not?? That logic would apply to certain players because it would detract from what they're best able to contribute. He's not a playmaker in the sense that something would be lost from his play or the team if he covered more ground. It's not a question of ability it's a question of application in this case. There's no reason other than his own head why he can't be a hard working player with good technique and a decent shot on him.

I also don't think Trapp differs between his CM options in terms of who backfills in the case of an absence or who's competing with who. All his CMs are competing for either of the two spots, i think.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 12/10/2010 at 12:32 PM.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Okay, there is no reason why Gibson can't win the Lotto, nothing is impossible.
    But to expect him to play like Gattuso??

I think if Trap plays Gibson he will expect him to do some closing down for sure, but would have a designated workhorse to support Gibson .
    Just my 2 cents.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    i'd like to think gibson will get a start tonight in favour of whelan or green, but i expect it will be more of the same tonight. long for doyle and fahey in if lawrence doesn't make it.

i thought he looked ok when he came on against russia bar his poor free kick taking. give him enough minutes on the pitch and he'll get us a 25 or 30 yarder. next season is possibly make or break for him at united - i can't see him staying too long more if he isn't more involved.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I thought the 2 free kicks from the right side, were delivered very nicely.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    you're probably right - i think i've blocked out everything but the bad bits (nearly all of it) and the 2 goals. couldn't face watching any of the post match, too morose.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's quite understandable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Not according to Dunphy!!! I watched his moan on Sunday about the 'brainless' Gibson.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Okay, there is no reason why Gibson can't win the Lotto, nothing is impossible.
    But to expect him to play like Gattuso??

I think if Trap plays Gibson he will expect him to do some closing down for sure, but would have a designated workhorse to support Gibson .
    Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe anyone expects Gibson to be Gattuso... I think Gisbon could be a better player and asset to the team if he worked harder.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Yep, Gibson would have work harder when we don't have the ball, regardless of who his partner is.