Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    It's an article taken from the Belfast Telegraph. Agenda driven by any chance?

Didn't see it in the print version of the indo this morning.....

The Belfast Telegraph and the Indo have the same owners.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Agreed. Given he is viewed as a skilled footballer who doesn't always put in a full shift, and seeing as how Trapattoni seems to prefer more-defensively minded ball winners and battlers in midfield, I'd say that Stoke (or any other team that doesn't keep the ball for long) would provide him with a lot of the work that Trapattoni wants to see him get practice with.
    Thought you were banned.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    He could always go on loan to a club like Bolton, staying in the Premier League but playing many more games than he will at Old Trafford (barring a massive injury crisis, but he could be called back then anyway).

I really think anyone who dismisses Trap as "having a laugh" is lacking proper respect. I don't know if the Stoke comment is a sly dig at the likes of Whelan and Lawrence, but I'd rather have these 2 (and Andrews for that matter) ahead of him. Once he plays a game as good as Andrews' in Paris or makes contributions as vital as Whelan's vs Italy then he can begin to indulge his championship manager delusions of grandeur.

"Where could I possibly go after Man Utd"... well he could try playing on the continent, but he's probably a bit too pampered to play in the Bundesliga, there is a cronic shortage of ego masseurs east of the Meuse.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    He needs to choose his battles, unless he's happy to go the David May route
    David May didn't get much football with United, but in fairness, by 23 he was a regular with Blackburn Rovers and had played 100 league games or so. Between United and Wolves, Gibson has under 40 league games under his belt (many of his league games with United have been as a sub too). As good as he may or may not be, I don't think he's going to improve significantly without competitive football.

A move to somewhere like Stoke would actually do him a world of good -- it's a shame that he thinks he's too good to be putting in a shift and tackling back at a team where he's likely to be one of their stars, as opposed to watching his United teammates win things while he sits on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I really think anyone who dismisses Trap as "having a laugh" is lacking proper respect.
    The "having a laugh" comment is out of context as he is responding to a supposed quote attributable to Trapattoni hence why he uses the word "if" on two separate occasions indicating that he doubts that Trapattoni said the supposed quote. I'm sure Darron has learned his lesson and won't be talking to the media anytime soon again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Funny that Trap was mentioning Gattuso., made me think if only Eirebhoy was around to lend a hand with the midfield discussions

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Funny that Trap was mentioning Gattuso., made me think if only Eirebhoy was around to lend a hand with the midfield discussions
    Define "holding midfeilder"?
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Pretty arrogant stuff from Gibson alright. He would do well to get into the starting eleven at "somewhere like Stoke City"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I dunno, everything about that report looks like ****** to me. Altho i do agree wholeheartedly that Gibson should start ahead of Green. If Trap starts kilbane and Mcshane he cant use the argument of a lack of gametime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    The somewhere like Stoke City comment is a bit offputting, considering one of our most important players plys his trade there.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    he was linked with a loan move to Stoke before the transfer window shut, might be why he mentioned them. If he did at all.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    I dunno, everything about that report looks like ****** to me. Altho i do agree wholeheartedly that Gibson should start ahead of Green. If Trap starts kilbane and Mcshane he cant use the argument of a lack of gametime
    The only arguement about that is who else would be playing instead of those full backs ? Foley maybe, but the likes of Cunningham, Stephen Kelly etc arent really getting a run of games together, and I'm not sure switching a center back to full back would be a great idea. Maybe if Coleman's loan spell at Blackpool is good or Harte strings more games together for Reading, there will be competition for McShane and Kilbane.

Also Kilbane has played over 100 games for us including at the World Cup, and over 200 premier league games, I agree his best is past him but at least he's clocked up some experience with us and his clubs. McShane has over 15 games for us and about 75 premier league games, ideally we would have someone better (less error prone) but at least he has some experience when there isnt a huge amount else at full back. Contrast that with central midfield where we have Green and Fahey playing regularly for their clubs, and Andrews and Wehlan playing semi regularly for their clubs.

Gibson has been at Man Utd for 5 years and only played 18 games for them, including loans to Antwerp and Wolves he's on 72 games, which is about 15 games a year, he needs to start playing more games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Agree totally Ed, and when the rumours of the loan to Stoke appeared I was praying he'd go. Trap made a very good point that Gibson will have trouble learning at Man U because they are almost always winning games. It would be better for him to be in a game-chasing situation more often, rather than getting starts for games Utd are always expected to win

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Amazing how a slanted article in the paper has so many people completely fooled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    thought he was poor when he came on tonight, apart from a pass to Kelly on the wing. Had the perfect opportunity to show what he can do with a free kick and messed it up. Seemed to concede possession every time he received the ball, although he did win it back again a few times.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Gibson's position at UTD reminds me a lot of earlier views of O'Shea. Talented, but frustrating and possibly lacking heart when playing for Ireland. It seems that only in the last two years that the ongoing criticism of O'Shea has begun to fade.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Gibson's position at UTD reminds me a lot of earlier views of O'Shea. Talented, but frustrating and possibly lacking heart when playing for Ireland. It seems that only in the last two years that the ongoing criticism of O'Shea has begun to fade.
    Although whilst this is off topic, I thought he was poor last night. Distribution was awful, particularly second half. Whether that had anything to do with his thigh strain (or whatever injury it was that he picked up) Im not sure.

As Tets has said, Gibson didnt do an awful lot in his 30 minutes or so to prove he should be in there and you dont get better opportunities than against one of the weaker teams in all of Europe.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Darron showed every reason why he is behind Green in the pecking order and I have to say I agree with Trap 100%.

Possibly he could be used along with 2 CM. As soon as Whelan went off, Green had to be everywhere while Darron is hanging around the centre circle waiting for the ball. Andorra were beginning to find paths through CM that did not exist before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    IF Gibson's comments are accurate and not completely skewed out of context then his comments on Stoke City are extremely insensitive considering that two of his international team mates ply their trade there. He seems undeservedly arrogant and and it will be a hard fall from grace if he eventually does end up 'somewhere like Stoke City'. As cfdh Edmundo says, he hasn't produced anything near the performances of Andrews and Whelen in a green shirt and until then, has little right to mount his high horse so publically criticise Trap's suggestions as well as his teammate's clubs. Then again, I suppose a long row of zeros on your paycheque and hanging out with the likes of Patrice Evra can go to a young lad's head.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 08/09/2010 at 12:03 PM.