Page 54 of 170 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts

I hardly had time to sit down but he sticks it in the back of the net.
    Lovely clean strike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Good man gibs. Keep it up now get MOM

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    he's had a smashing first half.

playing very far up the pitch and is working his socks off.

united making things hard for themselves as usual

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Who I am to question Ferguson (soon to be british ambassador to Germany, pause and await the next war) but with the benifit of hindsight I would have left Darron on as he might have had an opportunity to have a potshot or two.

This managment stuff is easy with hindsight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm still wary about Gibson. There's been so much talk about him that I don't think he's deserving of it all. He's a bit of a luxury to be honest. I'd love to see him succeed and think he obviously has a fine shot. I just don't think that he has that drive that's the making of a top class player.

Who does he play alongside in an Irish midfield?

McCarthy, Meyler, Whelan, Andrews are all better bets now, and in the future.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Decent goal and ok first half but fairly anonymous (as usual imo) after the break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm still not convinced about Gibson despite the fleetingly good first half performance tonight.
    Holding on to the idea that because Darren Fletcher came good after a long period of mediocrity means that Gibson will come good is a bit flimsy to be honest. James McCarthy has done more in one season in his all round play than Gibson has in the last two-three years of this hype. I feel that Gibson just doesn't have that "fire in the belly" or drive that sets the better players apart. He's more likely to go the way of McPhail than Andrews, more Berbatov than Rooney.

I think he's a luxury that Ireland are never going to be able to get the best out of.
    Just who does he play alongside in midfield for Ireland that doesn't leave us lacking in a department whether that be defensive stability or attacking mobility?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hard not to be anonymous when you're chasing the ball the entire time. Unlucky the referee ran across his path when Nani cut it back to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Was George Hamilton asleep for Gibson's goal.The ball was in the back of the net for about 10 seconds before he reaised it was a goal?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Commentary was delayed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Was George Hamilton asleep for Gibson's goal.The ball was in the back of the net for about 10 seconds before he reaised it was a goal?
    There was a sound delay on my Sky box anyway. A good couple of seconds. I restarted it and it was fine.
    Gibson seems a bit lazy or something at times? There was definitely moments when he passed it in the middle of the park and could have burst forward to receive a return but just resumed walking instead. That's the way it looked to me anyhow.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    To asses Gibson you have to look at the team performance. He is not the type to grab a game. He functions fine when everything is buzzing around him. Up until his midfield partner Carrick gifted a goal, I thought he was foot perfect. A player gets set off, the whole team play as if they need a an extra second, the touch and passing is poor, Gibson is going to look as clumsy as the rest of them. They would have needed an experienced player in the middle to control the game. I thought he was much better than Carrick and just as good if not better than Fletcher, but I don't know if that says much.

That chance for his second, if only - those type of chances in such games are career defining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Well, I think he had a good game, but he had the potential to become a legend tonight with that late opportunity.

I think he just needs a run of games to get established. I thought Carrick had an absolute nightmare and didn't do Gibson or any of his teammates any favours.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Carrick took one for the team by staying the hole and not venturing forward, but I thought he was culpable for both goals and generally offered very little. For the first though, he should never have been competing with Olic - it was a complete mismatch. You have to ask why Ferdinand or, more likely, Vidic didn't pick up his run.

I think Carrick is too slow for this level of football, and Gibson would do well to avoid falling into the same trap. To be fair, he looks to have really quick feet and his decision-making will surely improve with practice (Carrick hasn't really progressed much since breaking through for West Ham).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ok i have a rules question i was born in the usa but have an irish passport if i was good enough would i be able to play for the north? since they can play for us can we play for them? like for example would robbie kean be able to play for the north? (if he had not already played for the roi)

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    It depends on when your grandparents were born. My grandmother was born in Cork in 1921, before partition, so I would be eligible to play for the North were I so inclined.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Gibson on current status would be a bit of a luxury player for us. I dont think we can employ him in CM alongside Whelan or Andrews or whoever. Perhaps would could play him wide right or more so just off the striker akin to the role played with Rooney last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    That was Gibson's best performance for Man Utd by a mile. When we've seen him in other Prem games, he comes across as bit a tad slow and not knowing exactly what to sometimes. But he did not look not out of place last night and showed a much better level of concentration and focus out and was the best of the Man Utd midfield trio. He also looked a lot quicker and more mobile than I've seen him be for a while which suggests he's working hard behind the scenes to get himself up to par.

I think Carrick is in the Fergie doghouse after a few very poor performances recently and Gibson will get a few chances in Man Utd's last 5 games. I also think that Fergie will be out to get a new midfielder in the summer and that one of Carrick and Gibson will go. So maybe Gibson's future will be decided on how he will perform in the few chances he'll get.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I think Gibson is closer to the dugout that the doghouse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm not convinced about Gibson, yet. Whoever above said he was a luxury is spot on IMO. He isn't the kind of a midfielder who can run the game. His passing/vision isn't the best and he seems to lose the ball an awful lot. He hits a good strike, makes a few good runs and pops up at the edge of the box a lot in good positions, but he isn't going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and thats exactly where United lost the game last night. He and Fletcher are similar players who need a water carrier playing beside them to do the donkey work and more importantly, control the tempo of a match. When the game started going against United their midfield went completely AWOL and they couldn't get the ball.

That said, he is developing as a player and Ferguson seems keen on him, so the more big matches he plays the better for Ireland.