Page 119 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Board snoring.
    Last edited by The Bunk; 18/05/2012 at 7:44 PM.
    "Do you know what the plural for Pussy is? ... it's Pussai! ... Jimmy tought me that"

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Can you two guys please get a room or at least continue this in a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bunk View Post
    Board snoring.
    Has an anagram of a player's name ever been more appropriate?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ok, sorry guys. I presumed it was as gripping for ye as it was for us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    According to Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh, Gibson is considering his international future:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Can you provide a scan of page 65?

Paul Rowan had an article in today's Sunday Times which touched upon something similar regarding Gibson.
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/06/2012 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I can't, sorry. I got that scan from a tweet of Ó Raghallaigh's. He doesn't appear to have uploaded a scan of page 65, but did tweet that Hunt was in tears and "stormed out" of wherever he was, presumably towards the team bus:

https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/216883176449130496
    https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/...523776/photo/1

Did Rowan say much else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I'm just reading through it again, and whilst it doesn't specifically mention Gibson's international future, it does hint at a general disillusionment within the squad towards Trap.

Bear with me and I'll just type some of the main points.
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/06/2012 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Actually, it did mention it.

It was a wholly negative piece towards Trapattoni. I've just typed out the relevant points.

by Paul Rowan

.....Last week we felt that Trapattoni deserved the benefit of the doubt, but since then the reservations have grown stronger. Neither Ireland's fans, nor players who broke ranks during that time, only the manager sought to wash his hands of responsibility for Ireland matching the worst ever showing of any team at the Euros and highlighted further failures of the players instead.

Having said that the players were playing with 'fear' and the 'jersey was too heavy' he then identified a lack of leadership and after the Italy game was saying; "if I tell the truth it would seem that I want to humiliate people". Not a single Irish player managed to raise his game for the Euros and some of them underperformed, which was the most disappointing aspect for those who didn't lose sight of the fact that Ireland were in an extremely tough group and were likely to lose all three matches.

Trapattoni also had an extremely poor tournament and his efforts to preserve his own reputation at the expense of others has lowered him in the eyes of the players. Richard Dunne is believed to have been unhappy with the way the campaign was run and had exchanges after the Italy game with Trapattoni. Senior players advised him to go holiday with his family rather than make any rash decisions about his Ireland future. There was unhappiness about the hotel in the middle of the resort town of Sopot - revelling Irish fans actually kept some of the players awake the night before the Spain game - but the players didn't want to be seen to be whingeing. However, what made them most unhappy was the long camp and the fact that they considered themselves overworked after a long season.

Darron Gibson, form instance, reported to Dublin two days after he played the last Premier League game of the season for Everton on May 13. It's belived he asked Trapattoni if he could report the following Sunday along with the rest of the Premier League players - for one thing he had been invited along with Robbie Keane and others to Glenn Whelan's wedding on the Saturday - but was told in no uncertain terms to show up as instructed. Gibson didn't see a moment of action in the Euros and asked the manager the night of the Spain game if he had a problem with him.

The Italy game in Poznan has thrown up a new problem which will focus plenty of attention on Gibson. Some commentators along with Trapattoni pointed up an improvement in the performance level, but whatever it was escaped this particular observer. The mistakes at the back have been a standout feature, but even more glaring has been Ireland's lack of any goalscoring threat in all three games.

UEFA statistics credit Ireland with two shots on target against Italy, but it's difficult to remember either and Keith Andrew's petulant blasting of the ball into the crowd after he had been dismissed was one of the times Ireland got closest to scoring. He is automatically banned for Ireland's opening World Cup qualifying game against Kazakhstan in September but UEFA will probably be minded to put a few more on top of that after reading the referee's report. Gibson will be needed more than ever, but is believed to be considering his future under Trapattoni. The player himself is maintaining an unhappy silence. "I have nothing to say about that," he remarked when asked about his international future.

Important people continue to back Trapattoni in his dealings with Gibson and everybody else. Denis O'Brien, who pays half Trapattoni's wages, says he is delighted with his investment, scotching any thoughts that he might consider a different manager. The FAI too won't get rid of Trapattoni, unless the crowd in Dublin turns on the manager a it did in the case of Mick McCarthy and Steve Staunton. In that case, he would probably go quite quickly, so a good start to the qualifying campaign is vital if Trapattoni is to stay on board.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/le...ce=twitterfeed

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Derry’s Republic of Ireland player Darron Gibson is reported to be fuming that boss Giovanni Trappatoni hasn’t started him in a competitive game since the March 2011 Euro qualifier against Macedonia.
    The Everton midfielder is said to be looking for assurances that he can expect to feature in the upcoming World Cup qualifying campaign after not having had any pitch time during Ireland’s recent Euro 2012 campaign.
    The former Derry City player is the player in the Irish squad who finished highest in the Premier League last term playing midfield for Everton.
    Although he got the final half hour of the last pre-Euro warm up against Hungary, the Hazelbank man was overlooked by Trappatoni for Paul Green as a substitute in the second tie at the Euros against Spain.
    Weekend papers have reported that sources close to Gibson say he’s disillusioned with not having been brought on to play for Ireland during the Euros.
    The source said: “It’s not as if the team was winning games. He felt he could contribute but the shame was, he didn’t get a chance.
    “Right now, Darron doesn’t know where he stands with Trappatoni. He loves playing for Ireland but the manager doesn’t seem to believe in him.”
    Trappatoni has come under increasing criticsm since the team’s dismal performances in Poland and Ukraine and during the tournament faced questions about not having used Derry’s James McClean more often,
    As one of the first ten squad members to report for duty on May 15, Gibson spent 35 days in camp at the Euros without being brought on to play.
    He is said to be keen to address the situation with the Republic of Ireland boss as soon as possible.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Thought he was an Institute player, not aware he played for Derry City. May be wrong.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 26/06/2012 at 1:36 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Thought he was an Institute player, not aware hr played for Derry City. May be wrong.
    Correct. Also, the Euro's were the first competitive games that Gibson was available for since he played against Macedonia in March 2011. So not great journalism all in all. For me, the best parts of the article are the quotes from a 'source'.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    For me, the best parts of the article are the quotes from a 'source'.
    Well this is it, coupled with the club error, hmmmm. Doubts. Look, at most I reckon they guy sees the players ahead of him, and wants assurances he will get a chance if he keeps turning up, and I don't blame him there after recent weeks, not one bit.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think Darren was one of the highest rated Irish players on a statistical index, along with
    McClean and Hoolahan, indeed McClean was highest then Gibson then Hoolahan. They had
    10 mins on the pitch between them. Those player should have had a chance.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Well this is it, coupled with the club error, hmmmm. Doubts. Look, at most I reckon they guy sees the players ahead of him, and wants assurances he will get a chance if he keeps turning up, and I don't blame him there after recent weeks, not one bit.
    It was bad enough to witness that midfield ineptitude from the subs bench, it wouldn't be too difficult to a guess accurately at just how Gibson felt when the board went up for Green in a game like that. It was only for a few minutes but encapsulated in that cameo appearance was the worst of Trap, the depths of football negativity in regard to the team and to an individual player, Gibson.
    We know Gibson has ideas about himself, that's not a bad thing as long as he can walk the talk, which he has done.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I have bought the Sunday Times since the Tribune went under and in that time I have yet to read anything positive about the Irish team from Paul Rowan. His build up to the tournament consisted with interviews with aggrieved players who were out of the squad.

Having said that, I do think there is reason for the likes of Gibson (in particulary) and lesser so Long, Walters, Hunt and McClean to feel annoyed that they did not get some/more game time at the Euros. Particularly when the first XI almost to a man were underperforming and in Gibsons case, Paul Green was given a run out.

I do think Gibson has alot to prove in his own right but he did eventually take Traps advice and left United. He joined up with the squad at the earliest opportunity and obeyed orders. He deserved a run out in one of the games. If he continues to improve with Everton which I suspect he will, he could become a very important player for us.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    And I guess what Gibson wants is an explanation from Trap of what defines 'a very important player for us'.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    But why would Trap now choose Gibson ahead of Green? Or Shane Long ahead of Cox. Its not going to happen. Its not like Gibson and Long have just broken into the team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Trap wants to persist with Green ahead of Gibson, then I guess Gibson might want to know this before the qualifiers.
    As they say it's the hope that kills you and in Gibson's case what hope does he have if Green is rated higher?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    But why would Trap now choose Gibson ahead of Green? Or Shane Long ahead of Cox. Its not going to happen. Its not like Gibson and Long have just broken into the team.
    IMO long did more in the 30 odd mins he got in the Euros than any of the other strikers. He is quick but also very strong and a good finisher. For me, he would be our no 1 heading into the WC campaign. He also was a regular scorer for WBA in the last season.

The Gibson over Green debate. Gibson hasnt exactly set the world alight in an Irish jersey but then again neither has again. I do think Green does get somewhat more bad press than he deserves, but he is an average player and will be never anything more than that. Gibson has the potential to be a good player with a nice weapon in his shot power. There is more to offer from Gibson, he does need to deliver and in fairness in the last six months, he has shown signs of doing just that. Having David Moyes as a manager could be the makings of the lad.