Page 117 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Gibson and Mccarthy have the ability to control midfield for us for the next 3 or 4 campaigns. Think poor gibson has been treated awful badly by utd and ireland fans. There are very few better defensive midfielders in england.
    that was Gibson's problem, he is a defensive midfielder, but was being brought on as an attacking player, behind the strikers. Far better playing where he is now, between defence and midfield, passing out from defence to the forward players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    How can stats be misleading. They are what they are. No-one has put up Gibson's United victory stats or his FA Cup stats so why have you even brought that up
    Nit-picking. I was just giving examples of games where stats don't tell the full story (yours or otherwise). The Blackpool one is still relevant to my point as they were losing 2-0 until he went off but counts in his unbeaten run.

You don't like Gibson
    Wrong. I don't rate him on what I have seen and have felt his attitude could have been better at times.

You haven't seen him play well in 3 years
    Guilty! That's not to say I haven't seen some attributes or glimpses of ability. Just disappointed more often than not. The best I have seen him play was when he came on in Bari, although strangely enough I never got to see the game back afterwards.

You didn't think he'd even make it at a PL club. Great. Thankfully there are managers who do like him and are willing to play him
    Indeed. And believe it or not this pleases me. I'll be as happy as anybody if he turns into a quality player for Everton and Ireland. Being proven wrong or even silly on an internet forum isn't a phobia of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    that was Gibson's problem, he is a defensive midfielder, but was being brought on as an attacking player, behind the strikers. Far better playing where he is now, between defence and midfield, passing out from defence to the forward players
    I could definitely see him being much more suited to this role. He just hasn't played well in the games I have seen Everton play in my opinion. I am more than open to the idea that I might have just seen the wrong games.

Stats aren't the be all and end all. They are largely fun but they objective and you can take them or leave them
    Liverpool have only won 2 out of the 12 PL games that Steven Gerrard has started this season. See, I can be fun too!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/05/2012 at 8:51 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    And there is the other side to that coin where he came on near the end of the game when the side was already losing. Such as his last PL defeat against Chelsea when he came on in the 86th minute and the team were already losing. Otherwise the unbeaten run would be extended further and Gibson would be lifting the Ballon d'Or and you would be crying into your cornflakes since you've been watching all the wrong games.

I'm not surprised by that stat at all. Steven Gerrard has been a pile of dog-poo for the last couple of years (occasionally still able to strike a ball, but hey so can David Beckham). If you think otherwise then good for you.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Irwin3, forgetting stats and everything else, who do you see Darron Gibson as on a level par with in World Football?

Do you see him as a top class midfielder?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And there is the other side to that coin where he came on near the end of the game when the side was already losing. Such as his last PL defeat against Chelsea when he came on in the 86th minute and the team were already losing
    Exactly, another stick to beat stats with. Thank you.

Otherwise the unbeaten run would be extended further and Gibson would be lifting the Ballon d'Or and you would be crying into your cornflakes since you've been watching all the wrong games.
    No, I've only been watching the wrong games since he moved to Everton (seemingly). Saw the vast majority of his United no-shows.

I'm not surprised by that stat at all. Steven Gerrard has been a pile of dog-poo for the last couple of years (occasionally still able to strike a ball, but hey so can David Beckham). If you think otherwise then good for you.
    I don't really, just thought it was a 'fun stat'. To be fair, I'd say their record isn't too great without him either.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Irwin3, forgetting stats and everything else, who do you see Darron Gibson as on a level par with in World Football?

Do you see him as a top class midfielder?
    He's the best CM in the Irish squad by a distance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Exactly, another stick to beat stats with. Thank you.

No, I've only been watching the wrong games since he moved to Everton (seemingly). Saw the vast majority of his United no-shows.

I don't really, just thought it was a 'fun stat'. To be fair, I'd say their record isn't too great without him either.
    Stats are fun and you can take or leave them as I said earlier. However, the larger the sample the harder they are to simply ignore. You're "All stats must die" mantra is ridiculous and I would suggest you to seek medical assistance.

It becomes clear that you haven't been to the wrong games, but you simply don't rate this player for whatever reasons. Others disagree.

You were clearly trying to show that "good player has bad stat run" otherwise, why would you bring it up?

Our positions are:
    Me- Gibson is the best CM in the squad. Played some great stuff for Everton, blah blah blah

You- Never seen Gibson play well in 3 years, didn't/don't think he's a PL player, blah blah blah

I'd prefer if we don't keep going round in circles. My fingers are getting tired.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He's the best CM in the Irish squad by a distance.
    Thanks but thats not the question I asked.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't have an all stats must die mantra and find some stats as interesting as the next guy. I just don't think the stats provided about Gibson mean anything, certainly not the ones dating back to his United days but I would take slightly more notice of the more recent Everton ones which involve a good few games I haven't seen.

You are completely 100% wrong in thinking that is why I put up the stat about Gerrard but I can see why you would think that. It was just a recent stat I had heard and wanted to be as 'fun' as you.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If its any consolation DeLorean, and I am the authority, I would side with you on this.

Unless of course the acturial side of things comes into play with pensions and insurances and then, well, No
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Thanks but thats not the question I asked.
    I watch mostly english football and some european stuff so to try to answer your question would be absurd.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    I don't have an all stats must die mantra and find some stats as interesting as the next guy. I just don't think the stats provided about Gibson mean anything, certainly not the ones dating back to his United days but I would take slightly more notice of the more recent Everton ones which involve a good few games I haven't seen.

You are completely 100% wrong in thinking that is why I put up the stat about Gerrard but I can see why you would think that. It was just a recent stat I had heard and wanted to be as 'fun' as you.
    So what relevance does it have to this thread. Absolutely none. OK then.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Your methods of deflection are truly laughable.

He is an average, or slightly above average, Premiership midfielder at best then.

I do feel though if he was given a good root up the hole he could be a serious midfielder.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

The stats mean what they mean. They are a bunch of numbers describing events that have occurred. You can take from them what you like. Why do I feel as though I am repeating myself? Maybe you need to read through the thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So what relevance does it have to this thread. Absolutely none. OK then.
    Apologies for that. I thought I was somewhere else

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Your methods of deflection are truly laughable.

He is an average, or slightly above average, Premiership midfielder at best then.

I do feel though if he was given a good root up the hole he could be a serious midfielder.
    Ask a proper question if you want a proper answer. Accusing someone of deflection when they haven't is more of a sign of deflecting. No? If he's so average then why has he played in CL QF, SF and won LC's and played in FA Cup semi's and won a PL medal and played for the 7th best team in England.

If he's so average then what the hell does that make our other players?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ok, you told me you dont watch much football, so you dont have much to compare to, ill take from that you dont really know what you are talking about then.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Ok, you told me you dont watch much football, so you dont have much to compare to, ill take from that you dont really know what you are talking about then.
    You're lack of comprehension is making you out to be a bit of an idiot and it is not worth bothering with you.

You: Where do you rank Gibson in world football.

Me: To answer that would be absurd since I mostly watch english and european football

YOU'RE CONCLUSION - That guy doesn't watch much football and doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'll leave you to you idiocy. Take care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You're not half as fun as your stats

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'll leave you to you idiocy. Take care.
    Well thats not lost on me anyway!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker