Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Darron Gibson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    How silly. Indeed, he reminds me of those sad individuals who pretend that Northern Ireland doesn't exist, either, for example referring to the "Ireland" football team, when they mean "Republic of Ireland"
    Not silly no, just ignorant, as he completely ignored the whole sentence because of the word "Derry" Nice try though These emoticons are great, they can really patronise when the time needs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Gibson has already represented the Republic at youth level. If he was a legitimate call-up then, what is the difference now?
    Underage matches neither qualify nor disqualify; neither do friendlies. Gibson's case will become pertinent if Stan picks him v San Marino, since that is a competitive (loosely speaking!), senior international match.
    Picking a player who is not eligible (or is disqualified) can have very serious potential consequences e.g. match result overturned, fines, bans, ejection from Tournaments etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Not silly no, just ignorant, as he completely ignored the whole sentence because of the word "Derry" Nice try though These emoticons are great, they can really patronise when the time needs.
    If by "ignorant" you actually meant "rude" or "obstreperous", then your co-worker was just so (plus bizarre, as you say).

Personally, I find those people who refuse to use "Northern Ireland" and "Republic of Ireland" in football conversation to be similarly rude and obstreperous, sometimes politically malevolent, though just occasionally ignorant, as well.
    And when they go to the trouble of typing out e.g. "the North" and "Ireland", when NI and ROI is so much quicker, then they are plain silly (imo).

There, I hope you didn't find that too condescending*

* - If you need any more explanation, try http://www.answers.com/topic/condescending

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Underage matches neither qualify nor disqualify; neither do friendlies. Gibson's case will become pertinent if Stan picks him v San Marino, since that is a competitive (loosely speaking!), senior international match.
    Picking a player who is not eligible (or is disqualified) can have very serious potential consequences e.g. match result overturned, fines, bans, ejection from Tournaments etc.
    I know those games didn't disqualify him from playing for Northern Ireland, but they do demonstrate that he is elegible to play for the Republic, surely. The Republic's under-19s can't call up a young French player, for example. They can only call up players who are Irish. Thus, if Gibson was Irish then, he is obviously still Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I know those games didn't disqualify him from playing for Northern Ireland, but they do demonstrate that he is elegible to play for the Republic, surely. The Republic's under-19s can't call up a young French player, for example. They can only call up players who are Irish. Thus, if Gibson was Irish then, he is obviously still Irish.
    For friendlies, the ROI could pick Jade Goody if they wanted!
    But it may turn out that DG wasn't eligible for any competitive ROI U-19s he may have played since May 2004 (I think - would need to check if same criteria apply below U-21/senior level)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7820

The first line is the important one " A player who, under the terms of Art. 15". This relates to a player changing allegience from one country to another. Darron is not changing allegience as he has not played in an international for N.Ireland.

It's also relevant that he represented Ireland at underage level prior to the new standards being introduced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    This may be correct. Or it may not be, as the IFA seems to think. It remains for FIFA to determine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    A spokesman for the Gibson family, speaking on UTV this evening said that no one from the IFA had approached or contacted Gibson, his family, Manchester United or his representative in England in the last two years and wondered about the real motives regarding the IFA’s sudden interest in their son’s international career and why it was being done via the media.

His uncle said “Darron has a right to play for Ireland, he is an Irish citizen and has the same rights as everyone else on the island. The IFA cannot dictate to us regarding Darron’s right to play for his country .Darron has no interest in lining out for n.i and has always wanted to play for Ireland”

It was pretty much summed up by family friend & SDLP Derry MLA Pat Ramsey who while congratulating Darron on his call up to the senior squad said “Darron should have the right to choose to play for Ireland if that is his wish…It is circumstances where the IFA must accept, respect and support the right of any young person from the North of Ireland to play for Ireland” (Irish News)

The question does need to be asked why the IFA have a problem with Darron Gibson representing his country when they made no such calls when other Derry born players have represented Ireland in the past.

The IFA made no representations to UEFA when Saul Deeny or Kevin Deery represented Ireland at competitive u21 level.

Why ??

The IFA are playing a dangerous game with their ‘harassment by media’ of young Gibson and no doubt will try similar tactics should Harkin, Kane, Deery, Lafferty, O’Connor or Wilson progress to senior international level.

The IFA are well aware that a large proportion of the football supporting community in the North have their international allegiances with ‘the boys in green’ and to try and force players to play for ‘their’ team may well scare off 'some' players who would still choose to represent the North for Career reasons.

The Irish Football Association has to realise that they cannot tell young Irish players that they have to represent n.i , and if it’s about money regarding schoolboy level etc.. I think the Football Association Of Ireland Should be approaching the European governing body with regard to setting up and extending it’s youth development programmes to population centres in the North, to train and nurture young players who want to play for Ireland in the future.

The IFA will come out of this one with a bloody nose and possibly in worse shape than when it started its media attacks on young Gibson.

http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/24.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Nationalists call it Derry and as we know Unionists call it L'Derry.Such is our situation and it seems pointless to make a big deal about it at this stage.Gibson has represented us at u18. u21 and B level so Howard Wells should just let it go.Hes hardly likely to change back now and would NI supporters really want a player turning out for them if they knew he would rather be playing for somebody else.I dont want to sound preachy but judging by some of the remarks on this issue some people just cant grasp
    the simple fact that there is two seperate legitimate cultures on this Island.
    We cant force one person to play for somebody they dont want to play for no more than we can order them to stop saying L'Derry.Each to their own.
    I am going for a lie down now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post

The question does need to be asked why the IFA have a problem with Darron Gibson representing his country when they made no such calls when other Derry born players have represented Ireland in the past.

The IFA made no representations to UEFA when Saul Deeny or Kevin Deery represented Ireland at competitive u21 level.

Why ??
    http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/24.html
    Well his Uncle speaks common sense.

A right to self-determination when it suits these guys !

I don't understand the nuance regarding the Deeny or Deery reference, what is being suggested?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    pardon my ignorance and correct me if i'm wrong but haven't alex bruce and alan kernaghan played for us and both have no connection to the "republic". i also remember a young lad by the name of crossan or crossley who was from belfast who played at underage level 4 us and i dont remember any uproar over him at the time
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    ger crossley, ex celtic, galway united amongst others

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Diffrence is Gibson seems to have some talent I would guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    pardon my ignorance and correct me if i'm wrong but haven't alex bruce and alan kernaghan played for us and both have no connection to the "republic". i also remember a young lad by the name of crossan or crossley who was from belfast who played at underage level 4 us and i dont remember any uproar over him at the time
    Alan Kernaghan played pre 2004 when the rules were different and you just needed a passport to play.

Alex Bruce played U21 and he sparked the row as he "qualifies" through a Northern Ireland born grandmother.

FIFA will probably have to make a ruling.

Reading the statutes it would appear to indicate that Gibson et al are not eligible if they have dual nationality. So I think it boils down to them claiming to have only one nationality eg Irish and thus play for the Republic. Then it depends if being born in the UK means you are automatically British as well then the dual nationality rules apply. This also opens up the can of worms re the 4 UK nations having separate teams. This could get really ugly and really nasty and really political.

I imagine FIFA will try and avoid making a ruling but if the FAI and IFA don't agree they won't have a choice.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It seems pretty clear to me. If he has a right to an Irish pasport (i.e. Irish citizenship), he has a right to play. If it's against FIFA's rules, they'll have to change them to suit the law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This might sound drastic but if FIFA or UEFA were to rule that a player born in one of the six counties was not entitled to play for Ireland the government should put pressure on the FAI to temporarily withdraw from all international competition and threaten to resign from FIFA.

Everybody recognises the right of anybody born in the north to be an Irish citizen and consider themselves part of the Irish nation, even unionists. If anybody where to undermine this right it would be absolutely disgraceful.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

Personally, I find those people who refuse to use "Northern Ireland" and "Republic of Ireland" in football conversation to be similarly rude and obstreperous, sometimes politically malevolent, though just occasionally ignorant, as well.
    And when they go to the trouble of typing out e.g. "the North" and "Ireland", when NI and ROI is so much quicker, then they are plain silly (imo).

There, I hope you didn't find that too condescending*

* - If you need any more explanation, try http://www.answers.com/topic/condescending
    Interesting. Coming from the North (Belfast) myself, most people I know uses the term - "the North". I'd say most Nationalists would do so, it's just the way it is.

It would never in a million years occur to me that someone would find the term "the North" to be rude,obstreperous, malevolent or ignorant. It certainly certainly doesn't bother me when someone uses "Northern Ireland".

It depends how you're brought up I suppose, some of us realize we've got different viewpoints and accept it - others don't.

-Liam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    This might sound drastic but if FIFA or UEFA were to rule that a player born in one of the six counties was not entitled to play for Ireland the government should put pressure on the FAI to temporarily withdraw from all international competition and threaten to resign from FIFA.
    Interesting! It seems to me you're advocating the "nuclear option", even though you don't actually possess any nuclear weapons yourself! I guess that would make you the "Footballing Saddam Hussein" - and look how he ended up!

Anyhow, although you may have seen it on another thread (Dermot Aherne), I'll re-post the following FIFA Statement re. political interference in footballing affairs:

http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0...ticleid=130856

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liaml View Post
    Interesting. Coming from the North (Belfast) myself, most people I know uses the term - "the North". I'd say most Nationalists would do so, it's just the way it is.

It would never in a million years occur to me that someone would find the term "the North" to be rude,obstreperous, malevolent or ignorant. It certainly certainly doesn't bother me when someone uses "Northern Ireland".

It depends how you're brought up I suppose, some of us realize we've got different viewpoints and accept it - others don't.

-Liam
    Liam,
    I wouldn't argue with any of that - I've long since got over bothering about the North/NI, Derry/L'derry, England/the Mainland etc. But that is in the course of normal conversation.
    In my original post, I was referring to the wilful refusal of people to use "NI" and "ROI" in the footballing context, such as on this Board, that's all.
    Remember, there is no football team called "Ireland", unless you count the version played by that strange lot who have funny-shaped balls!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    My post was referring to where people were born.

Ireland (or Éire when using the Irish language) is the name of the state, not the Republic of Ireland. The Republic of Ireland as a place to be born simply doesn't exist and I can refer you to numerous Supreme Court judgments that endorse this if you please.

When referring to the football team, I'll gladly use Northern Ireland. When referring to our football team I prefer the term Ireland for the simple reason that players born on the island of Ireland outside of what is generally known as the Republic of Ireland (26 counties) are still entitled to play for that team. I may have to change this practice should the IFA's challenge succeed.

Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast