Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Loads of Attendances, Finances, Disciplinary, Legalities....not much football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loads of Attendances, Finances, Disciplinary, Legalities....not much football

DCFCSteve touched on it in another thread, but if I may be permitted to say something about the board in general it'd be appreciated.

I've been using the forum extensively for the last 4-5 months or so, admittedly my post count isn't in the thousands like many of the contributors here but I hope that doesn't lessen the validity of my point.

There is very little football discussed on the forum at the moment and that's pretty sad.

So many threads turn in to a bitchfest about the state of each club's finances, it's tax affairs - not to mention the constant one-upmanship over attendances. It's like a business and accountancy forum here sometimes.

Look at the O'Neill-Cummins thread, it started as a worthwhile debate about the worthiness of the column - whether something substandard is better than nothing etc...it has ended up with pictures of a pigs head being posted in a Bohs/Rovers mickey measuring contest. Seriously can we build a creche on the forum where people who want to be big men behind a computer screen can do so?

I know I don't have to read threads I'm not interested in of course...but maybe out of habit I do anyway.

This forum was at one point a few months ago a celebration of our local game, where opinions on THE GAMES were discussed intelligently and thoughtfully.

The bitching is dragging me down, and obviously dcfcSteve - one of the most considered posters here IMO - feels similarly. Maybe everyone could take a deep breath, withdraw from whatever squabble they are participating in and start talking about football?
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I think 3 weeks without games had a big impact. The same happened on the City forum. All these things are relevant to the EL but i agree some football talk would be nice too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Whole heartedly agree. The schools are on hols as well at the moment.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    In fairness, there's some hugely important off-the-field issues in recent weeks - winding-up petitions and hand-picking the Premier next year being the main ones. You can't just ignore them!

But there has been far too much "Bohs are bigger than Rovers/No they're not" and "We're not Shams" and other nonsense on the board of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    In fairness, there's some hugely important off-the-field issues in recent weeks - winding-up petitions and hand-picking the Premier next year being the main ones. You can't just ignore them!
    I just want to echo that aswell ... for a City fan anyway it all a bit mad at the moment to be honest.

But point taken ... hopefully it'll improve once pointed out. It would be a welcomed return anyway.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's no getting away from the fact that there is a lot of genuinely important off-the-pitch stuff going on this season.

The whole groundsharing / stadium fascism / who's-moving-where-if-at-all situation is obviously of acute interest to Pats, Bohs and Shels fans (and Rovers fans too even if they've no say in what happens). The proposals re League restructuring affect everyone, as do revelations about tax compliance or lack of.

To some extent, with the World Cup break barely over and the transfer window just after opening, it almost feels like Pre-season Part II. Give it a couple of weeks and that'll fade away though.

I agree there's far too much juvenile point scoring and hissy fits over who's most entitled to call themselves Rovers. Maybe the mods are just slacking on the job.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    Maybe the mods are just slacking on the job.
    I kNow its not an easily responsability to be a Mod but I do agree to an extent with the above post. in the past posters(Myself included) have been berrated and in extreme cases punished for dragging threads off topic and rightly so. but in more recent weeks/months threads seem to be disintegrating into slagging matches and not a Mod to be seen. Come on guy's Its our forum lets take it back from the immature fool's who just want to be keyboard warriors.

( This is not a cheap shot at mods as I appreciate that it is not an easy task. maybe more mods are needed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think a football board without some slagging off would be a very odd place indeed. You are not going to be able to re-invent a space where fans of clubs with ancient enmities are happy to lovebomb each other.
    That said, there should be limits, and IMHO the mods should be much stricter when it comes to straightforward name calling and abuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter
    Attendances, Finances, Disciplinary, Legalities....not much football
    This is a good summary of how the Premier Division will be chosen next season.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Lads, just to chip in here about the Mods. If you see anything wrong, there is no harm in pointing out now and again. Its very hard to read every single post from everyones perspective. Just wanted to say that.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    This is a good summary of how the Premier Division will be chosen next season.
    Honest to god jerry I thought thats what this topic was about and didn't bother reading it (as we have tons already)

Just to echo what a face said, there's always the report post button and if anybody isn't happy with anything they should click that.

Oh and another reason why there's more non football issues being discussed is that there are individual club forums about and if Iwant to talk about Pats v Sligo last week, thats where I'll do it (and most clubs are similar) Foot.ie works as a general board and as such matters of general interest get debated
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northside hoop
    Not at all, a board free of schoolyard arguments is exactly whats needed. I'd expect no less of an opinion from a boez kunt anyway.
    - QED -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I said that about the mods, I just joking. Y'know, rhetorical statement? Hence the use of the smiley?
    Revenge for 2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter
    DCFCSteve touched on it in another thread, but if I may be permitted to say something about the board in general it'd be appreciated.

I've been using the forum extensively for the last 4-5 months or so, admittedly my post count isn't in the thousands like many of the contributors here but I hope that doesn't lessen the validity of my point.

There is very little football discussed on the forum at the moment and that's pretty sad.

So many threads turn in to a bitchfest about the state of each club's finances, it's tax affairs - not to mention the constant one-upmanship over attendances. It's like a business and accountancy forum here sometimes.

Look at the O'Neill-Cummins thread, it started as a worthwhile debate about the worthiness of the column - whether something substandard is better than nothing etc...it has ended up with pictures of a pigs head being posted in a Bohs/Rovers mickey measuring contest. Seriously can we build a creche on the forum where people who want to be big men behind a computer screen can do so?

I know I don't have to read threads I'm not interested in of course...but maybe out of habit I do anyway.

This forum was at one point a few months ago a celebration of our local game, where opinions on THE GAMES were discussed intelligently and thoughtfully.

The bitching is dragging me down, and obviously dcfcSteve - one of the most considered posters here IMO - feels similarly. Maybe everyone could take a deep breath, withdraw from whatever squabble they are participating in and start talking about football?
    if you dont want to discuss off-field matters then dont.
    but i like the threads on attendances/finances/legalities/off field happenings etc.
    theyre as valid a point as any on-field issue.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    if you dont want to discuss off-field matters then dont.
    but i like the threads on attendances/finances/legalities/off field happenings etc.
    theyre as valid a point as any on-field issue.

I agree Anto eile all of that stuff can affect the club's bottom line and ultimately their ability to field a decent team on the park.