Thread: Action Against FAI Sky Deal

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Radio Broadcast

Originally posted by Michael Nugent
    For the record, we did not say that we wanted the Government to hold back the money. In fact, I repeatedly said - on that very issue as well as others - that any decisions about things like that would have to wait until we had a wider mandate from a larger number of fans.
    How much is a wider mandate? Would you vote for such a proposal?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wider Mandate

Hi Pete,

I would say a wider mandate for a decision like that could only come after

(a) Getting more people involved, firstly through Monday's public meeting.

(b) Writing to existing supporters groups in every Eircom league club and at other levels of the game, plus the different branches around the country - and in England and abroad - of the Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Club, plus some way of identifying a way to represent the many Irish people who love football but are not yet interested in the game here.

(c) Inviting as many as wish to attend from the above list to a seminar-style meeting where ideas could be planned in a rational and structured way.

(d) Formalising the structures of Irish Fans United in a manner that makes it clearly representative of, and accountable to, all of these people.

On the specific question of how I would vote on the development money, I certainly wouldn't vote against it at this stage, and I would be very reluctant to vote against it any stage. But there is an important principle involved that the FAI can't simply take tens of millions of euros of taxpayers money then treat the taxpayers with contempt.

WIll you be coming along on Monday?

Michael Nugent

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    should consider watching domestic league football as well."
    [SIZE=4]CON-****ING-SIDER????![/SIZE] They shouldn't be allowed next or near Ireland games, or even tvs the stupid fools

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Re: Wider Mandate

Writing to existing supporters groups in every Eircom league club and at other levels of the game, plus the different branches around the country - and in England and abroad - of the Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Club .

I feel its only right to get the views of the various Irish based supporters groups but could you please explain to me why you want to get the views of foreign based supporters groups seeing as the TV deal has no effect on them?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a few questions in response to the press conference etc.
    I'd like to know why the press conference was held outling your views/opinions etc and only now you're looking to get the invlovement of various supporters groups, surely this could and should have been done before going in front of the media.
    I could have understood it if it was to raise public awareness to get people involved, but it went much further than that.
    The second point is on the issue of tax-payers money, the simple fact is, if the FAI are allowed to build deals like the SKY one they will be less and less reliant on tax-payers money, however if they must rely on RTE crumbs they will be falling back to tax euros.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Tomsoc,

Two reasons.

One, because we have two aims: firstly, overturning the Sky deal and secondly, establishing a representative body for Irish fans.

Two, because we are 100% satisfied that the vast majority of Irish football fans oppose the Sky deal. Some EL fans may disagree, but that is because we define "Irish football fan" far more broadly than do some EL fans. We want to bring together everyone who follows football, at any level of experience or input or commitment or frequency, and get us all working together for the good of all aspects of the game.

On the taxpayer's money issue, I fully support that. For many reasons, I think sport is an area which Governments should help to fund. Whatever Man United or the FAI may believe, football is not merely an private industry. It is about our shared identity and dreams and hopes, and should be funded by our taxes. And with that funding comes responsibilities.

Michael Nugent

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

The problem i have with an "all fans" body is different sets of fans have different priorities.

For example the eL wouldn't be in the poor state it is in if a lot of international fans couldn't give a toss about it & even quiet often wish it to fail.

Someone who watches football on tv contributes nothing to the sport so i have a bif problem with such people having a say in the future of irish football.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Pete,

Well, I never said it would be easy :-)

But I think that such a group would help to get more respect for the EL among people that don't now take it seriously.

And it may reduce the even greater hostility shown by a small number of EL-Only fans to people outside their inner circle of supposedly "true" fans.

But it is a complex issue, and a very emotional one for many people who are passionate about their football.

I'm still thinking about your post the other day about what constitutes a football fan or participant.

I think that's probably the most important post anyone has sent to these lists since I've joined, and when I sort out my own opinions on it I'll certainly respond.

Michael Nugent

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm still thinking about your post the other day about what constitutes a football fan or participant.
    If i was to use anopther of my own examples to help you out ;-) ........ I think i've gone to one irish rugby international & a maybe 4-5 Munster Heineken Cup games including the final in Cardiff - Someone in my family tends to get tickets for these games & is interested in them & its a good entertianing day out for me. Does this make me a rugby "fan" ? possibly but also probably not a very serious one. However i'd never want to be involved in trying to tell the IRFU what to do to develop their sport.

Maybe its something thats evolved in the last 10-20 years but I still cannot understand people feel they''re supporters of a team by just watching on tv - maybe its to do with sport as entertainment like going to the cinema with few diehards left anymore......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting Development

The FAI are claiming that the Sky Deal still stands and that their legal advise says the list cannot be made retrospectively.

I do not claim to be a legal expert but even I know from my 1st year that saying something like that is as big a legal mistake as you can make.

It's bread and butter law, any Solicitor would be able to tell the FAI that. The FAI are trying to bluff their way to some sort of compo Id say. They might well have accepted that the Sky Deal is dead in its present form???
    Oh no not them again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

As far as I can see the "listing" of events makes little or no difference to the FAI.

The FAI sold the rights. SKY now own the rights & can do with what the want to as it stands. IF government change the rules so match has to be widely available to the general public that in iotself would not mean SKY would have to give up the rights. - Sky could show it on Sky 1 or less the irish rights back to RTE or TV3 so we all could see it. Either way I belive the FAI will keep their money no matter what happens therefore an excellent commercial deal for the FAI.

Its now the governments problem like it really was all along - they had the legislation but never used it.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Read an interesting article in one of the UK papers this morning which stated that the Sky Deal is worth less per match to the FAI than the deal the English Football League has with Sky for Division 2 matches. They stated that the FAI would earn less from an Ireland-Russia game at Landsdowne than the English League would earn for Walsall-Rotherham on a wet Tuesday evening in front of 200 people!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123