Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Pats 0-0 UCD

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

St Pats 0-0 UCD

Draw was a good result I thought. Though we could have done more with a couple of our chances. Quigley pulled off a few super saves and I thought Dicker was immense in the middle of the park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I'll be honest and say that was right up there with the most boring match I've been at this season...and that's saying something. I ended up talking to the Rovers supporting steward for the last few minutes..

Bring back the First Division...!
    Last edited by dfx-; 24/06/2006 at 12:09 AM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, I worried that I might have hurt Bazza Ryan's feelings today. Do you think he'll be OK?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    Lads, I worried that I might have hurt Bazza Ryan's feelings today. Do you think he'll be OK?
    What did you actually say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    He said 'come on barry' but more in a hurry up kind of way than as a means of encouragement
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Woeful game; thought we maybe shaded it, though Aertel says Pat's dominated. Says it all when the highlight was the fireman coming out onto the balcony of the flats next door to the loudest cheer of the evening. Still, we've only taken three points from 15 away from home this season, and Pat's have only lost once all season, so a good point in the end of the day. Which involves me being home and not watching the match... (and remembering that my suit jacket is still in McDowell's...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Since when has Richmond Park been known as the Stadium of Light? That's what it's called on the back of the tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    It was like that a couple of years ago - back when they were claiming they were winning things but in reality they were cheating - and the team were the Supersaints (as in, every other minute). A very annoying phase, to be honest. Thought they'd given up on that to be honest...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    Since when has Richmond Park been known as the Stadium of Light? That's what it's called on the back of the tickets.
    I think Pat Dolan brought that in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Anyhoo, by way of a report...

UCD claimed a good draw on the road against a Pat's side who have only lost once so far in the league, although the 90 minutes which earned the point were cetainly anything other than memorable.

UCD were forced into a couple of changes through injury and suspension, so the versatile Conor Kenna moved into right-back in place of the suspended Alan Mahon, with Darragh Ryan dropping back to left back and Derek Doyle coming in at left wing.

Pat's started the game on top, although the first real chance came when Barry Ryan was a fraction of a second quicker than Pat McWalter to a through ball; the former UCD netminder was, however, able to clear to safety. And on the half hour, a deep free from Stephen Hurley found Conor Sammon at the back post, who headed against the post from a narrow angle, though the linesman ruled that he was in an offside position in any event.

St Pat's ha dmore of the possession, although they too created fairly little. They should have gone ahead on 35 minutes when a weak shot allowed Conor Kenna time to get back and clear off the line, while from a free-kick just outside the area, the Saints clipped the top of the fence behind Darren Quigley's goal. Brian Shortall nearly gifted a goal to the home side as well, but his stopped header went just inches wide of his own post.

The highlight of the half, however, was the calling out of the local Fire Brigade to attend to smoke seen coming from one of the flats overlooking the ground; the incident wasn't serious, however, and the fireman got the biggest cheer of the evening when waving out from the balcony.

Into the second half, and UCD came a bit more into the game, with Conor Sammon firing inches wide after a good move up the left before having an overhead kick blocked away by the Pat's defence. Again, the best chance of the half was to fall to the home side, and Darren Quigley had to be alert to bat away two point-blank shots from no more than ten yards inside the space of 15 seconds.

UCD held on through four minutes of injury time in which Pat's had a 20-yard free blocked away and Darragh Ryan fired wide from another good UCD move, but overall a draw was a fair result on a night when neither side looked like taking all three points.

UCD - Quigley; Kenna, Ryan, Shortall, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley, Dicker, Doyle (Cawley 87); McWalter, Sammon. Subs not used - Quinn, Finn, Kelly, Hussey.

Att - c 700

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    A draw away to this Pat's side is a good result, an improvement on the Belfield result anyway. We really need to start getting wins under our belt again though. One would hope we can do that against Waterford on Monday. We're losing ground on 6th but we pulled a point back on Dub City and Bohs. Unfortunately Bray picked up a victory too. 3 points against Waterford is vital.

I'm delighted to hear Dicker described as "immense in the middle of the park". If this lad can start to impose himself and stand out, it's great for us. Is Paul Byrne injured?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    From Pat's website:

23/06/2006
    SAINTS HELD BY COLLEGE
    St Patrick’s Athletic failed to pick up where they left off before the World Cup break as they were held to a draw by UCD in Richmond Park in the eircom League, Premier Division.

It was the Saints’ sixth unbeaten game in a row, and keeps them in the top five, but they had only UCD keeper Darren Quigley to blame for the draw, as he kept out effort after effort.

The highly rated goalkeeper, who is reportedly a target of several top English clubs, made two crucial saves on the hour mark to earn his side a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    I'm delighted to hear Dicker described as "immense in the middle of the park". If this lad can start to impose himself and stand out, it's great for us. Is Paul Byrne injured?
    Dicker won a number of tackles in the middle of the park. He appeared to be playing the holding midfield role. Paul Byrne is injured- I think he did something to his ankle during the break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    He appeared to be playing the holding midfield role.
    Leaving Tony Mac to what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Woeful game; thought we maybe shaded it, though Aertel says Pat's dominated.
    I'd agree with aertel. Not saying we deserved to win but we had pretty much all the ball. You defended easily enough. Very very poor game
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Very very poor game
    That's a given between our two clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah but I'm usually drunk and don't really notice. The only games I purposely get drunk for...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I'd agree with aertel. Not saying we deserved to win but we had pretty much all the ball. You defended easily enough. Very very poor game
    I thought yez had more of the ball, but yez did feck all with it. Thought Pat's were particularly poor in fact, especially for a team with just the one defeat all season! When we countered, we at least looked vaguely threatening.

Examiner calls the game "as good a scoreless draw as you would wish to see". Doesn't offer an opinion as to which team was better, but the chances mentioned are evenly distributed.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The attendance was shown as 3,000 on Aertel, I think it was more than 700 to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Were you there? Didn't see you.

Didn't see 3000 referred to. Way way out though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast