Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Womens Senior Challenge Cup

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the 2nd round games involving players on the u19 womens squad (mayo, raheny, galway/dundalk city, lifford etc) are definitely changed to the 8th oct. i am unsure about whether the other games are been re-arranged or not.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nemi7 View Post
    didnt realise limerick had so many teams that they would form 2 seperate league teams!
    who are the best clubs in the area?
    Limerick Womens League and Limerick Desmond League both have teams entered. In addition to this, Lifford Ladies who play their league matches in the Limerick Womens League, have also entered.

The strongest teams in the area would be Lifford Ladies, Mungret and Annacotty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The WFAI may have moved the Senior Cup matches to a date which allowed the girls representing Ireland at U19 to play with their clubs in the 2nd round of the Senior Cup BUT why did the WFAI/FAI domestic department not know what the WFAI/FAI international department were doing on October 1st? When you consider that the 1st round also clashed with an International date, it beggars belief as to what is happening in the WFAI.

I am making the assumption here that the Senior Cup is drawn and scheduled by the domestic department and the U19 internationals are being run by the international department.

How on earth did they manage to find out that the dates clashed? Was it pointed out to them on foot.ie? Did a club/league team inform them? Did someone from domestic bump into somebody from international in the corridor?

I was talking to the Limerick Womens League manager this morning and he told me that a minimum of 6 of his players had arranged a weekend away in Brussels with their club for 6th, 7th and 8th October after having been told that the 2nd round of the Senior cup was being played on the 1st October. This would appear to be a much more serious loss of resources than clubs/League teams with 1 or 2 players involved in the U19 international. Through no fault of their own, these girls are now out of the Senior Cup leaving their League team depleted with little or no chance of progressing to the next round.

When you consider the howler that was made re the U19 panel last week some other questions comes to mind - does anyone in the WFAI actually know what is going on in the WFAI? Is it actively being managed? Is there anyone accepting responsibility? Who is accountable for all the mistakes? Is it understaffed? Should full time professionals be employed ?(or are the people in charge full time, paid employees already).

Mistakes are made in all walks of life, it just seems that the WFAI make more than most. Could you imagine the press reports if this was the FAI and not the WFAI?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah agree with you number 9, things need to be amalgamated in there, i think the WFAI is only a group of volunteers. Are they officially part of FAI?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
    I was talking to the Limerick Womens League manager this morning and he told me that a minimum of 6 of his players had arranged a weekend away in Brussels with their club for 6th, 7th and 8th October after having been told that the 2nd round of the Senior cup was being played on the 1st October. This would appear to be a much more serious loss of resources than clubs/League teams with 1 or 2 players involved in the U19 international. Through no fault of their own, these girls are now out of the Senior Cup leaving their League team depleted with little or no chance of progressing to the next round.
    Well fair play to the Mayo League on their sporting attitude to the Senior Cup match against the Limerick League. From what I hear, they requested that the match be moved to a different date to accomodate Limericks loss of players. Needless to say - they were turned down.

Before this news broke about losing half the starting lineup, I would have forecast a narrow Limerick victory over the Mayo Ladies. Now it has to be a very clearcut and decisive Mayo victory.

You just have to feel sorry for the players and their managers who have put in a fantastic amount of work in preparing for the Senior Cup.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Women's Senior Challenge Cup

I may be mistaken, but as a former Executive member of the WFAI , I seem to recall that Cup games are to be played On or Before the given date.

If both sides agree to play the game before October 8th then there is no reason why it cannot proceed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    I may be mistaken, but as a former Executive member of the WFAI , I seem to recall that Cup games are to be played On or Before the given date.

If both sides agree to play the game before October 8th then there is no reason why it cannot proceed.
    This is fine if it's an underage match in the school holidays or the match is being played in June/July/August and the 2 teams are from adjoining counties. The players in the Senior Cup are predominantly girls who have to work for a living. I doubt very much that their employers would allow them a day off (with pay) to play a soccer match.
    It is impossible to play a match in the evening at the end of September / beginning of October. There is simply insufficient light. The match must be played at the weekend.

The Irish U19 team is away from 23rd Sept to 1st Oct. if I'm not mistaken. This means that the Mayo League, who have players on the u19 international panel won't play on or between those dates, and rightly so. The remaining weekend - the 7th and 8th of October is the weekend when the Limerick girls organised their weekend away.

Now unless Mayo are going to travel to Limerick midweek and play on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th of October, it is impossible for this game to take place with both teams drawing on the resources of their full panels, which is what ought to have happened, and would have, if the international schedule had been checked.

The WFAI made a mess of the fixtures. Plain and simple. There is NO excuse. The only way that the WFAI can get any credibility back is to reschedule.

I believe that Mayo requested the match be played on Sunday 15th October but were turned down by the WFAI.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any games played on the 1st in WFAI senior cup!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2nd Round game

Wilton United of Cork beat Templeogue 3-1 I think... Good result for the cork side but they were always favourites really!

Were there any other games played?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Result's

Anybody got result's of the second games

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    change of venue for limerick and mayo its in hogan park at two sunday 8th

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rasper View Post
    change of venue for limerick and mayo its in hogan park at two sunday 8th
    Benfica beat Limerick and Desmond League 4-2 on penalties. The game finished 3-3 after extra time. UCD take on Stella Maris this afternoon.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

results

some results from 2nd round and teams that are into the quarter finals -

MAYO LEAGUE bt Limerick Ladies League (7-0)
    RAHENY got walkover v Roscommon
    LIFFORD bt Combined Counties (2-1 after et)
    GALWAY LEAGUE bt Dundalk City (4-2)
    CORK LEAGUE v Peamount United
    BENFICA bt Limerick Desmond League (penalties)
    UCD bt Stella Maris

didnt hear about the game:
    Templeogue v Wilton United

quarter final draw to be made at lunchtime on 9th oct.
    Last edited by chick; 08/10/2006 at 9:40 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    UCD won 14-0. 9-0 at half time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    some results from 2nd round and teams that are into the quarter finals -

MAYO LEAGUE bt Limerick Ladies League (7-0)
    RAHENY got walkover v Roscommon
    LIFFORD bt Combined Counties (2-1 after et)
    GALWAY LEAGUE bt Dundalk City (4-2)
    CORK LEAGUE v Peamount United
    BENFICA bt Limerick Desmond League (penalties)
    UCD bt Stella Maris

didnt hear about the game:
    Templeogue v Wilton United

quarter final draw to be made at lunchtime on 9th oct.
    Cork League beat Peamount United 2-0 a.e.t.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wilton played last weekend they beat Templeogue, 3-1

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the draw for the 1/4 finals will be held in dublin on tuesday .is ucd the team to beat with 22 goals from two matchs, cork who beat peamount or is it raheny who have yet to play ?????

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

the mayo and galway leagues cant be ruled out either! they both had good wins on sunday. although raheny do have a lot of internationals!! should be very interesting quarter final draw..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    draw for 1/4 final
    wilton vs mayo
    ucd vs raheny
    galway vs benfica
    lifford vs cork league

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given