Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere: The showgrounds versus away games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atmosphere: The showgrounds versus away games!

In recent years the atmosphere at the majority of home games has been abysmal, with the exception of a couple of games towards the end of last season.
    Last week in Derry we had a relatively large support & added to the atmosphere there and in Longford on Monday we lifted the roof with large support.
    The shed closed a few seasons ago & it’s never been the same since. Why? Maybe its because the Old Shed heads never returned and are now scattered throughout the Ground (That’s my excuse anyway) or maybe they just don’t go. With respects to the current shed heads, its just not the same. In the first division it was different, we were never upstaged by travelling support (Galway & Dublin City came close) at the Bohs game it was different, A few residents in the Maugheraboy area commented on the atmosphere in the area outside the ground, which in the majority was down to the Bohs fans (Well done to Bohs).

WE NEED THE BUZZ BACK!
    I have spoken to some like minded individuals and am getting very positive feed back i.e. The people who contribute to the atmosphere at away games want to see the same thing at the showgrounds and are willing to do something about it. We want to add colour & atmosphere back to Home Games. Return the ground to its glory days of the early/mid 90’s where it was the top ground in the country in terms of atmosphere.
    A number of us are meeting in Mooney’s (Harloes) before the Pats game, we are organising Drums/Horns/Flags etc & we will make our way over from there (we will decide on the night where to congregate in the ground).
    I am appealing to Young & Old to Join us, Everyone is welcome, Bring what you can & who you can, we are looking for people to ‘Sing their hearts out for the lads’.

I am appealing to everyone who is interested in generating a jovial atmosphere to join us in the ground or preferably meet up before the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Brilliant stuff! Fair play to ye!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this is badly needed! the shed is startin ta become borin thses days!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs up Fair play Bravo

How many of ye Bravo? and what stand will ye be in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Fantastic. Wish I was in Sligo.
    Stick with it. You'll get a few cynics who'll say cheering should be 100% spontaneous and not organised. Sod 'em.
    No. 1 priority - shedloads of noise, drums, bugles, voices . . . anything as long as it makes a hell of a racket.
    Then colours, lots of them.
    On a related note, bear in mind that there are a few away grounds that are ar*eholes about away fans bringing large flags or banners. There's not much point in getting into arguments on the spot - you can't win. I'd suggest this is the kind of thing an organised effort would go a long way toward sorting out. Contacting clubs in advance would be no harm, finding out their policies and trying to negotiate a bit.

UPDATE:
    I might (just might) be able to get hold of 5 or 6 bugles/bugle-type thingies for a fiver apiece. I'd be willing to pay for them myself if I was sure they'd be used to raise the roof. The catch is that I haven't had a chance to blow them yet, so I don't know if they'll make even a squeak, but I will in the next few days. The next thing then is getting them to Sligo and into the hands of a few Showgies regulars, but we'd figure that out.
    Last edited by Fivesilver; 29/03/2006 at 6:38 PM.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver
    Fantastic. Wish I was in Sligo.
    On a related note, bear in mind that there are a few away grounds that are ar*eholes about away fans bringing large flags or banners.
    Now who would do that be, not Sligo anyway.

You'se could get till rolls, there great for atmosphere, but just don't throw them onto the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Yes, believe it or not, I've seen the thread about the till rolls - must really spoil your night not to be allowed to fling things onto the pitch.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile atmosphere in showgrounds or lack of it

this is a great idea the sound comming from the shed at bohs game was abysmal. when i used to go there it was magic (butnow i bring kids to match so i must be in stand).get it organised get everything that can make noise, know the songs you want to sing( i have yet to hear any singing of either managers name or players) its about time that yee started to sing a few of the new lads names (or them all eg mansaram mansaram mansaram make these boys fell welcome ) you dont have to wait for a goal. there is nothing greater thats spurs on a player on the pitch than when he hears his name being chanted. do it on sat night. iremember the great shed heads of days goneby kerrigan, headser connolly, donnie kearins , paddy houze, mark feeney, jimmy feeney, john harte, michael clancy, etc etc etc and many more these lads new how to make noise and were not abusive they loved there team. i am looking forward to hearing you all on sat night. if yee got togeather some evening (not just sat night) and picked a few songs that everybody new it would spred like wild fire. forget about the songs sung in the premiership (well maybe not all of them) look for some of the songs that were sung back in 94 or before that they were magical ( one comes to mind "i was born in the showgrounds etc) great songs without bad language. if we could get it right we could bring back the great days . good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=red arrow]this is a great idea the sound comming from the shed at bohs game was abysmal. i am looking forward to hearing you all on sat night.

Bring the kids & join us the more the merrier. They can play the Drum or blow a bugle.

Anyone any Ideas for songs? PM them to me.

We all have to take responsibility for the lack of atmosphere if we do nothing about it!

BRING BACK THE BUZZ!!!
    Last edited by Bravo; 30/03/2006 at 7:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red arrow
    iremember the great shed heads of days goneby kerrigan, headser connolly, donnie kearins , paddy houze, mark feeney, jimmy feeney, john harte, michael clancy, etc etc etc and many more these lads new how to make noise and were not abusive they loved there team.
    ah come on now michael self praise is no praise!!!

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    BBT and "gorman is god" should be making their showgrounds debuts very soon

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    one a the the lads on the bus came up with this song on the bus to derry!....its class!!
    i love you,
    you love me,
    we're a happy family,
    with a great big hug
    and a kiss from me to you,
    won't you say you love me too......
    THE ROVERS....THE ROVERS etc
    classic!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    if it was christmas ye could do the old classic "away in a manger no crib for a bed the little lord jesus jumped up and said "the rovers""

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile atmosphere sat night

i have to congratulate you roversforever you got it in one and to the stars i dont know how to answer private messages but im still trying to figure out whose your dad . does he still follow rovers? sorry for going public but its ony a bit of craic. you see im not a computer geek but a rovers freek. im sure roversforever would enjoy that. anyway roll on sat night make plenty of noise good luck

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    post here b4 the match nd i'll go over to ye! will me cuzin mattie V be there in his superman suit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by feo123
    post here b4 the match nd i'll go over to ye! will me cuzin mattie V be there in his superman suit?
    It’s a Tarzan outfit this week!!!

We have informed the club & afaik it’s no Problem. We are meeting in Mooneys beforehand (Ideal to get started their) & we will hope to congregate in the near end of ‘The Jinksy’ (Jinks Ave Stand) it is important to be there earlish (7.20), any unusual items may need to be left at ground before hand (it makes sense, as nobody wants to be held up and miss the start of the game). I wont be posting tomorrow evening so PM me today if ya want any other details.

Anyone that’s not interested in going to Mooneys wait out side the shop & ya will meet us going over at about 7.15.

May the Team with the loudest support win!

C’MON the Bit ‘O’ Red…………………….

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can we not jus go to ye wen wer in da ground?! instead of meetin up b4 it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123
    one a the the lads on the bus came up with this song on the bus to derry!....its class!!
    i love you,
    you love me,
    we're a happy family,
    with a great big hug
    and a kiss from me to you,
    won't you say you love me too......
    THE ROVERS....THE ROVERS etc
    classic!!!!
    Sorry but that has got to be the worst song I've ever heard at a football match. Ever
    Last edited by 1 9 2 8; 31/03/2006 at 6:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Thumbs up

Great idea Bravo. I really hope it takes off cos the atmosphere in the Showgies hasn't been great. It's always better when we're away from home and really it should be the other way around. Good luck with it!.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 9 2 8
    Sorry but that has got to be the worst song I've ever heard at a football match. Ever
    ah come on....give it a chance!! lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast