Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Ref Stories

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Was playing a GAA match once (well, sitting on the touchlines very hungover because the regular keeper had turned up in the end) and the two teams provided a linesman each. Ref ended up sending off one of the linesmen for getting into a fight over an alleged wrong call. The linesman later came on for our team and scored two points - we won by two points as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfeet
    He then informed 1 of our players who was a great player that if he would book him if he was taking the p!ss out of the other teams defence
    That happened to me too. Playing a game in a St John Cadet tournament years ago. We were one of the favourites and were playing against a girls' team. I got sent off for knocking the ball past one of their players, who rugby-tackled me. We still won by double figures, I think.

Edit - remember a story about UCD v Derry last season in the Brandywell. Last minute and we're losing 2-0. Derry send in a cross, the linesman flags for offside, we stop playing and Derry bury the ball. Goal - ref overrules the linesman. Alan Mahon goes over to complain to the linesman, who tells him "Sure it doesn't matter anyway - it's the third goal". Same linesman did the exact same thing the following week in the Shels v Drogs game!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/06/2006 at 12:53 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Classic one in Kildare a couple of seasons ago. The referee sent off his own brother after only two minutes!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There was a girls final on one evening and the linesman stuck his flag up to get the referee's attention. The referee comes across and everyone is worried that there may be a sending off. The linesman informed the referee that Estonia were 1-0 up on Portugal and the game then got going again after all that commotion.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Played in an under 17 game few years back, waiting for the other team to come out for the second half, standing around the half way line ready to kick off our striker farts and the ref gives him a yellow card for lack of respect!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I remember one,it was just after one of the world cups, Local league(s) were insistent on players wearing their socks up,one of our lads (Rocca) decided he would wear his down,after a few minutes the ref stopped play and asked him to pull up his socks,Rocca said "Ah ref come on did you not see them in the world cup with their socks down" Ref replied "Yeah i did oh seems you watched so much of the world cup did you see this" Showed him the yellow card.....Classic
    'I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.'- Ian Rush

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    One cold February (sub-zero tbh) morning on the Parks Leagues
    - only 10 minutes gone - and this one player was constantly on my back over decisions - getting in my face at times as well.

One of his players goes down on half way - and I can safely say that he hadn't been touched.

The moaning player turns around and starts moaning his exact comment was "Aren't you gonna give us anything this morning ref?"

To which I pulled out my notebook and replied - "Yes player - which colour would you like?"

To a man - the rest of his team and management on the touchline told this player what they thought of him - and it wasn't pleasant!
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir
    One cold February (sub-zero tbh) morning on the Parks Leagues
    - only 10 minutes gone - and this one player was constantly on my back over decisions - getting in my face at times as well.

One of his players goes down on half way - and I can safely say that he hadn't been touched.

The moaning player turns around and starts moaning his exact comment was "Aren't you gonna give us anything this morning ref?"

To which I pulled out my notebook and replied - "Yes player - which colour would you like?"

To a man - the rest of his team and management on the touchline told this player what they thought of him - and it wasn't pleasant!
    and what did he say???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I remember being at a match in Enniscrone in 1995 and early in the game, Enniscrone United got a goal from an offside position (1995 rules of course) and the line protested. The referee ordered everyone back from the line. Five minutes later, the team physio started laughing and the referee came over and ordered him out of the ground . The physio had to watch the game in the company of cows and sheep and one of the Westport players got injured near half time. It was a serious injury that needed the attention of the physio and the referee refused to let the physio on. Westport won the game that night 4-3 but the highlight was the refereeing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lim abroad
    and what did he say???
    Player: Jez ref, I can't see cos I'm colour blind. What does yellow look like? Aragh bejaysus, I love red so give me the aul red card instead. I'm having a murderous bleeding hangover and I'm sick as a parrott.

Ref: Player, you are the weakest link, goodbye!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12