Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Commentators misleading their public.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Commentators misleading their public.

Is it just me does it irritate anybody else when commentators (take George Hamilton last night for example), announce confidently to their public that Germany are through to the last 16 and that Poland's World Cup is over, when in fact both statements (taken seperately) are false.

Yes I know that in all probability that Germany are now through and that Poland are out, but you just knew from the way Hamilton was talking that he believed it to be fact. It's the same thing when commentators say, 'Well that's it, it's all over now' (for the away side) when the home side goes 1-0 up in the second half of a return leg of a home and away knockout where the first leg finished 1-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It's hardly misleading the public. It's usually said for a reason i.e. the other team looked like they would win the match or in this case Poland look like they're out and Germany look like they're through.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I think all concerned should spell out the rules. I thought until this morning, prompted by ambiguous comments on Poland's elimination & Germany's progress, that the usual "head to head" applies in the event of a tie, as in the preliminaries. I checked FIFA's website and it's definitely GOAL DIFFERENCE that counts first. Only when GD and GS fail to serparate teams does it come down to head-to-head.

On that basis, yes, Germany are definitely not yet through and Poland are definitely not yet out. Both Ecuador and Costa Rica can still get 6 points in theory & could knock Germany out on GD. Likewise Poland could still get second on 3 points by virtue of goal difference.

George Hamilton's lack of thoroughness is beyond a joke at times.

Over here, I think John Motson has done more to miseducate the British public than anyone about football in the last 25 years.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/06/2006 at 8:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    A bit pedantic here lads in fairness. What are the chances of Costa Rica winning this afternoon? Zero, therefore Germany are through and Poland are out, and good riddance - they are useless. Last night Motson was saying Germany will be through if and Poland are out if - and i was throwing my eyes up to heaven thinking come on motty - spell it out Germans are in and Poland are out.

Feel free to berate me with plenty of abuse later if the Costa Ricans win.