Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How can the eL survive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Derry City; Monaghan United; no train access
    There is train access to Derry. Unfortunately it's the long way round via Belfast from Dublin. The train just isn't viewed as a serious travel option for the vast majority of locations in the North, and quite a few in the south, anyway - so it's not a huge deal. Most visiting fans would probably be on buses or driving even if we had a better train service.

We've got an airport as well, you know.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    It's also clearly obvious that attendances have dropped in the PD now, as a result of UCD and Home Farm in it, and Shamrock Rovers out of it.
    We've been in the PD for 10 of the last 11 seasons. The only season we weren't there Dublin City were there. We have no lowering impact on the season to season average for a long time.

If I am correct that site has used Pinapple Stu's average attendance thread for the last three seasons. In the first season he wasn't so stringent on the attendances and they were grossly overstated. Before that they've even more innaccurate.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Whatever about attendances debate i think we can say for certian would have no chance progressing in Europe with winter football season. In recent seasons eL sides have proven if have take away advantage that swedes & the like had with summer football we can compete & beat them.

Away supporters have never travelled in enough numbers to justify home teams changing their kick off times to suit them.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Summer football is the leveller in Europe, it doesn't even give us an advantage. Most teams we can come across in the UEFA Cup and a lot in the CL are already in their season. We've seen what happens when a fit team meets an unfit team with Shels v Glens this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
    One question have you any Facts these amazing quotes my British Funded Friend ?
    That scentence doesn't make any sense

One thing i have said and what ia begaining to understand you dont read what people say I have never said that People are kicking back indoor with nothing to do for 9 months of the year what i am saying is that (Stay with me on this one) There are more distractions in the Summer can you tell me there is not ?
    I will and I have - I don't believe there are more distractions in Sumemr than in Winter. As I stated previously, before you dragged the debate off into wild tangents : firstly, we are not talking about completely different years or anything here. There is a huge overlap between the Winter and Summer domestic footballing seasons. The only unshared time-slot is part of May, all of June/July and part of August. Therefore, criticism of the timing of Summer football IN GENERAL is extremely likely to also be true of Winter football IN GENERAL - as the majority of time-periods are identical. Secondly - there are 2 main differentiators between those months that don't overlap (MJJA) and the rest - and that is weather/day-light and school holidays. There are numerous distractions available outside of the Sumemr months, and I gave a long list of key cultural, religious and sporting events to illustrate this. All you're doing is repeating ad nauseum your belief that there are more distractions in Summer, without giving a single example of any.

Some months of the year are naturally busier than others - e.g. I think it would be safe to say that December is the busiest and most expensive for pretty much everyone, with January one of the quietest. But when you look at seasons as a whole, I just don't accept that any can be highlighted as having significantly more distractions than the others. And certainly not of such significance to deliver a death-blow to the concept of Summer football. The weather in Summer may make people more willing to leave the house, and more visible when they do so, but that doesn't in-itself signify the presence of distractions bar the weather.
    You're clinging onto this notion that Summer football is wrong because there are so many distractions, yet you haven't given a single example to support this theory. That's why I can't take your viewpoint seriously.

The second thing is dont twist my words Northern Ireland is Part of the British Education System is funded by the British Government.I am well aware that Northern Ireland is not part of Britain but is part of the United Kingdom !
    I didn't twist your words. I'll quote them verbatim for you again : "Look i will make my point Simple for you because i know the schooling system that you guys have in Britain is not the best...". NI is not in Britain, plain and simple. Never has been. If you know this, why did you say it ? Don't blame me for your own fcuk up here kid.

You have no facts of you own just illinformed opinion and the only thing you seem able to reply with is to slander what i have said. Yes it is my opinion very good you are quick ! and i am entitled to it but it is backed up by a fact which is sliding attendances figures over the last two season and if this year has anyway to go by the average attendance with drop again. Now you keep on saying that attendances are rising Where are you getting your information Please ?
    Firstly - where exactly did I say that attendances are rising ?
    Secondly - where are the stats you mention that back-up your view that attednaces are sliding ? All we have is the attendnaces thread on here -which is facr from scientific/accurate. And it shows a mixed picture at different clubs, and an incredibly small overall change. Regardless - the statistics are not reliable, as they're collected in different ways with different degrees of accuracy. They therefore cannot be relied upon to make categorical points like you're doing.

Maggie wasted a lot on you ?
    Keep Rod Stewart songs out of this please.

Personal opinions are fine on internet forums, but it's a different thing when they're being dressed up as clear and incontravertible fact. Stump up hard stats to support what you're saying, or accept that Summer football can't be written off in this way as there simply isn't the robust data to conclude either way.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 12/06/2006 at 2:28 PM.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    It's also clearly obvious that attendances have dropped in the PD now, as a result of UCD and Home Farm in it, and Shamrock Rovers out of it.
    Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers have swapped divisions and their average attendences are almost the same. The attendences have dropped over the past few seasons, not just as soon as Shamrock Rovers were relegated.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Summer football is the leveller in Europe, it doesn't even give us an advantage. Most teams we can come across in the UEFA Cup and a lot in the CL are already in their season. We've seen what happens when a fit team meets an unfit team with Shels v Glens this season.
    ???

It does give us an advantage. Have you missed the improved results since we moved to summer football??

You must be drinking what rogue is......

KOH

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Summer football is the leveller in Europe, it doesn't even give us an advantage. Most teams we can come across in the UEFA Cup and a lot in the CL are already in their season.
    Summer football may not give an advantage in many games but it sure as hell removes a massive disadvantage.

I can only speak for my own team but Cork City have gone from losing 3-0 (conceding 2 goals in the last 10 minutes) in Sweden to winning 1-0 & drawing 1-1 out there. We've also gone from losing 2-1 to winning 2-0 in the Baltics. Both these countries have summer leagues.

Europe is not everything to irish sides but is still very important for the development & credability of the top sides & players in the eL.

If Cork City, Derry City & Drogheda United make the 2nd qualifying round together this season will be a first for the league & will be good for positive publicity - RTE ratings for eL euorpean games have been consistently good in the last few years too as neutrals always willing to watch irish representatives.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Summer football may not give an advantage in many games but it sure as hell removes a massive disadvantage.
    My point exactly, hence it being the leveller.

NY Hoop did you even read my post? I was adovcating summer football as helping in Europe. I meant it doesn't give us an advantage over anyone, it just pegs back the disadvantage given that most teams at that stage play summer football too. By removing that we don't remove an advatage, we actually bring back a disadvantage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    [QUOTE=Poor Student]I was adovcating summer football as helping in Europe. I meant it doesn't give us an advantage over anyone, it just pegs back the disadvantage given that most teams at that stage play summer football too. [QUOTE]

Shels ve Glentoran last year, or Split the year before?

Rovers v Odra in 2003?
    Ireland: Discovered!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Playing summer football means we are at an advantage over countries that play the winter season in European competition.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers have swapped divisions and their average attendences are almost the same. The attendences have dropped over the past few seasons, not just as soon as Shamrock Rovers were relegated.
    a lot of the drop over the last few seasons can be pinned on the league not having a strong rovers, pats or boez, so in a way he is kinda right, attendance wise, the league does need these three teams competing for honours, and theres no way you can argue that having dub city, ucd or even ourselves in the prem does anything for attendances, that said all three teams are there on merit and thats the way it should stay

aas for summer soccer, of course its made a difference to quality, and consequently, the results in europe, anyone who hasent seen this must be blind, dumb and deaf.
    arent we all just magic little monkeys...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manic da hoop

Shels ve Glentoran last year, or Split the year before?

Rovers v Odra in 2003?
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Playing summer football means we are at an advantage over countries that play the winter season in European competition.
    I mentioned this in my original post. I said we get an advantage over such teams but more importantly we peg back the disadvantage that summer leagues would hold over us. By dropping summer soccer not only would we lose advantage over winter league teams but go back to being at a disadvantage to summer league teams (of which type of team we are quite likely to draw in the UEFA and somewhat likely to draw in the CL).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    By dropping summer soccer not only would we lose advantage over winter league teams but go back to being at a disadvantage to summer league teams (of which we are quite likely to draw in the UEFA and somewhat likely to draw in the CL).
    The teams NL sides played last year; Carmathen, Steaua, Glentoran, Ghent, and Sparta Prague all play winter football. Only 2 of their opponents play in summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    The teams NL sides played last year; Carmathen, Steaua, Glentoran, Ghent, and Sparta Prague all play winter football. Only 2 of their opponents play in summer.
    Would you look at the UEFA seedings for the UEFA Cup this season? Every possible opponent to be drawn plays in a summer league. About half of the CL seeded teams play summer too. Shels opponents in the Inter Toto play summer as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345