Group E
    Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

12-Jun-06 ITA:GHA
    12-Jun-06 USA:CZE
    17-Jun-06 ITA:USA
    17-Jun-06 CZE:GHA
    22-Jun-06 CZE:ITA
    22-Jun-06 GHA:USA
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Alright so I'm biased because the US is my second favourite team after the boys in green but I see them advancing along with Italy. The US will win the first game over the Czechs, who are an aging team, slow defenders, over-reliant on Nedved and Rosicky to provide service to the front two. Arena is a master tactician as he proved in the last world cup, he will stick Beasley on the right who is good defensively to track Nedved and run him up and down the wing all day. 3 players to watch for the US: Mastroeni is a very good defensive midfielder and will knock everything that will come his way. Oguchi Onyewu will handle Koller easily. The new kid, Eddie Johnson, is lightening fast and will cause a lot of problems for the slow Czech defense.

Italy will knock off Ghana in the first game, and will draw 0-0 against the US and beat the Czechs in the last game. The question is how the US fares against Ghana in the final game but I'm guessing a draw or a US win. Dont be surprised to see the US not conceed a goal in the group stages.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I think the USA is as likely to get 7 points as 0 points. Very interesting group. There may well be no unbeaten team. However, it's hard to say just how good or otherwise either the USA or Ghana is as there are few competitive benchmarks against teams we know enough about. Yes, the USA did excellently in Japan, but I still feel that if Portugal hadn't actually beaten themselves in the first game maybe it'd have been very different for the USA.

I'm going to the last 16 game in Kaiserslautern which is the winner of this group vs the runner up in Brazil's. Any combination of the 8 teams in question is potentially interesting. Really looking forward to it.

My colleague, from Washington DC, is going to Italy vs USA.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I'm looking for the USA to do well in order to back up one of my most firmly held football principles: you don't need great players to be a great team.

I'd add that I'd like to see an English-speaking country not depending on exports to England to achieve success, and though the respective scales are hardly comparable, if a sound domestic league can be a viable alternative, or complement, to the glamourous foreign leagues to provide players for a good international team, then there could be a message for us there.

I'd also like to see Bobby Convey do well. If he can do it at this level then so too can Kevin Doyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Ghana were poor at the African Nations but were missing several key players. They are a very big and imposing side and I think they will ruffle a few 'big names', as a result I can see them getting a draw against Italy in the first match (we all know about Italy's renowned slow starts at major competitions).

I had written off the USA until I read Metrostars post so I will keep a close eye on their warm up games to see how they shape up. I go along with his assessment on the Czech Rep. This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Group E

12-Jun-06 ITA 1:0 GHA
    12-Jun-06 USA 2:0 CZE
    17-Jun-06 ITA 1:1 USA
    17-Jun-06 CZE 3:0 GHA
    22-Jun-06 CZE 0:1 ITA
    22-Jun-06 GHA 1:1 USA
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982
    This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.
    They were far and away the best team in Euro 2004. Are they that much worse 2 years later? They were by no means as impressive in qualifying this time mind you. Beating Norway in a play off was decent, but not an indication of any real threat. And can they depend on Baros for goals this time around?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Koller is 33, Nedved 34 I think and so is Poborsky. 3 key players all hitting their mid 30s. Football is a funny thing and in 2 years a lot can happen if you have your team has been hit by injury like star man Nedved. Baros has been unfortunate to miss a lot of games for Villa this season with various ailments so a lot depends whether he is 100% match sharp. This is why I'm so confident we have a chance of upsetting the Czechs/Germans in our next campaign group.

Don't get me wrong though, if these boys get off to a good start and click like they did 2 years ago then they could easily go all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Koller is 33, Nedved 34 I think and so is Poborsky. 3 key players all hitting their mid 30s.
    Galasek is also a key player and 33.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    I would love to see the Americans do well but every time i see USA v Czech Republic on paper there is only one winner for me. The opening games are crucial in this group if Italy and the Czechs get off to a good start than there will be no stopping them however if the Ghanians and the US can snatch a draw each then its all wide open. If i was to make a prediction i think Italy and the Czechs will take the honours with US getting no points at all. Another point to remember to people writing off the Czechs is that this is thier last chance as a team to make an impression in a world cup so expect them to come out with all guns blazing early on.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Smicer's absence has just been confirmed I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I had written off the USA until I read Metrostars post so I will keep a close eye on their warm up games to see how they shape up. I go along with his assessment on the Czech Rep. This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.
    The US have finished their pre WC friendlies - lost 0-1 to Morocco, beat Venezuela 2-0, beat Latvia 1-0. They looked rusty against Morocco, but handled the other two easily. They do have a "closed-door" friendly against the Ivory Coast I think next week though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I'd also like to see Bobby Convey do well. If he can do it at this level then so too can Kevin Doyle.
    Little Bobby played well in the 3 friendlies (2 sub appearances, 1 start). I think he might start against the Czechs, a lot depends on whether Arena chooses to put Beasley on the right to watch Nedved and also if he trusts John O'Brien to go an hour or so due to the fact he has barely played in the last year due to injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Group E

12-Jun-06 ITA 1:0 GHA
    12-Jun-06 USA 1:1 CZE
    17-Jun-06 ITA 2:1 USA
    17-Jun-06 CZE 2:0 GHA
    22-Jun-06 CZE 1:1 ITA
    22-Jun-06 GHA 1:1 USA

ITA 7pts
    CZE 5pts
    USA 2pts
    GHA 1pts

If Italy and the Czechs click, this group will be straight forward.

Contrary to what Metrostars wrote, the report on the friendly against Latvia that I read indicated that the US struggled in that game.

Bruce Arena after the game (from ussoccer.com)

“I’m happy with the win,” said U.S. Manager Bruce Arena. “I think this week our three opponents played us quite well. I think we were pushed to our limits, physically, with the awkward calendar. The games made it real tough on our team. And, today, to have two players almost play 90 minutes and having them play it on Friday is pretty remarkable.”
    Last edited by dancinpants; 01/06/2006 at 7:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As ever in the World Cup I expect Italy to get off to a slow start. I think the Czechs may do a lot better than most believe and I think they will win the group. The Americans could cause a few problems but I think they won't make it out. Czechs to win it, Italy second.
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Well DP, I was at that game and Latvia basically bunkered all game. The only spot where the US struggled was not scoring more. Latvia had one decent chance and that was at the end of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    Well DP, I was at that game and Latvia basically bunkered all game. The only spot where the US struggled was not scoring more. Latvia had one decent chance and that was at the end of the game.
    Whats your point?

Struggle to score = struggle to win

Makes sense to me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    To me the Bruce Arena quote was only saying that 3 games in a short space of time was physically tough on his players. I've seen loads of games where a team has been on top but not scored as many as the play justified. I'd hardly say that was "struggling"
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 02/06/2006 at 1:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Ghana won today 3-1 against S korea. Theey are my dark horses along with the Ukraine. If they hold Italy would this go down as a huge shock?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I'm going to be in Philadelphia for the World cup watching all the matches. Watched an ABC interview with Landon Donovan on Sunday last. He reckons he dosen't have to play in leagues like the Prem to be at his best. I know he had a nightmare in the Bundesliga. Arena is a clever coach and definetely gets the best out of his team. But I fancy the Czechs to do really well in this WC. Baros will still score plenty of goals. And Nedved despite his age and being a little slower now is still in the top 5 players in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar
    And Nedved despite his age and being a little slower now is still in the top 5 players in the world.
    I can't say I agree with that. There's quite a few players I'd have ahead of him now. Judging on his performances this season he won't be first choice with Juve next season. He's far from the same player he was a 2 or 3 years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast